Register now to get rid of these ads!

32 heavy axle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by qmdv, Nov 13, 2012.

1. I have seen lots of pics of 32 ford Heavy front axle. I have one. What does a 32 light axle look like. Sombody just PM's me that 32 to 36 were exactly the same. I always thought that the 33 to 36 were the same but that the 32 was different.

A pic would be nice.

Tim

2. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

3. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

I have seen an original '32 with the lighter axle...it looks just like the '34 axle...so I believe they both were available in 1932.

No one has ever given a definitive answer as to why...I always assumed the heavy big beam was because of the heavier V8 versus the lighter one for the Model B...I could be wrong...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. The '33-'36 lighter one was a dealer service replacement for the heavy one in '32 from the factory.

Charlie Stephens

5. metal man

metal man

Yep. There are '32 axles, and then there are 33-36 axles. If a '32 has the lighter axle, it has been changed.

Really no such thing as a '32 "heavy" axle, it's just a '32 axle.

From my experience anyhow.

6. So there is a 32 axle and a 33-36 axle. There is no such thing a 32 heavy but that a standard 32 is heavier than a 33-36. And if they needed a heavier axle for the 32 V8 they must have re engineered and figured that they were wrong.

I have a 32 and a 33-36. They are within a pound of each other(ultra acurate bathroom scale). The 32 just looks heavier. I think the drop is the same also.

Tim

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  7. wow.....great pic ther "296"....thanks....

8. Larry
    I may be wrong which would make us both wrong in which case we wouild have to come up with one more to make it a movement. Never the less I have always made that same assumption that the heavy V lighter version of the '32 axle was for banger V V8. That said I am not absolutely sure that they even made a light axle for 32.

Tim,
    I don't know that the '32 heavy is axtually heavier throughout the entire axle I think it is just thicker at the radius rod boss.

9. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, P&B'r;

"I may be wrong which would make us both wrong in which case we would have to come up with one more to make it a movement."

Been listening to "Alice's Restaurant" lately, have we? :D :D .

I used to have that one memorized... :D . Vital road trip song. Found out that folks either loved it, or hated it. Same for Brother Dave Gardner, BTW.

Marcus...

10. Actually watched the movie about 2 month's ago. But the song has been in my head since before they ended the draft. ;)

11. Just brought home a rough 5w with a 4 cyl that has a heavy axel.So there were 4cyl. with that axel.

12. nrgwizard

nrgwizard
    from Minn. uSA

Hey, P&B'r;

Unfortunately, I'm old enough to remember liking it when it 1st came out... :( . & you're right, once in, it never leaves. :D .

Marcus...

13. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

It's either a 32 "heavy" or a 33-36.

14. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

yep, like has been stated here several times, there is 32 axles and 33-36. My uncle has a 32 sedan with a banger in it. completely untouched, unrestored never been apart car. guess which axle is under it ;)

15. 4-port Riley

4-port Riley

I've always believed that the heavy axle came in commercial vehicles??? I am questioning the 33-36 configuration. In '35 the spring was moved ahead of the axle so I assumed that is when the spring perch hole in the axle was moved too???

16. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Your belief is incorrect. I have two heavy 32 axles one from a sedan and the other from my sport coupe.

17. Carter

Carter

This is why we don't assume things.;). Just kidding.
    While the spring did move ahead of the axle in 35, and the spindles, front drums/hubs, perch bolts, spring, etc. all changed along with the wishbone, the axle itself did not.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app