Register now to get rid of these ads!

jerks who call on your cars you have for sale....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 49ratfink, Feb 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. That's a nice car! So what if it's salvaged!

2. I had a '22 T with an original body (not fiberglass) for sale. This guy comes over with a buddy to look at it and the buddy says "it's not metal, it's fiberglass." So I get a magnet and prove to him that it's a metal body and he refuses to admit he was wrong. So I get in the car and drive it in my garage and close the door behind me. Not sure how long they were there until they finally left.

3. hemi gasser

hemi gasser

I'll take it! Can I come look at it this Saturday? Can you store it for me this winter? :) Good luck selling

4. theman440

theman440
    from Las Vegas

Great thread - Back in the 90's I was looking for a O/T Ramcharger - drove out one nite to have a look at one. Supposedly has a rebuilt engine, drove it - seemed OK, body pretty good paid the man. When I went to get on the freeway to go home it would not shift into 3rd gear (found kickdown linkage fell off) whew! But in the end I still got screwed - the "rebuilt engine" was actually used (painted) and it burned 5 quarts of oil on the 50 mile drive home...moral of the story, don't go look at a car in the dark! I didn't notice the center-sump car oil pan on the engine among other things. It's a shame that people pull s**t like that. I ended up buying a good used engine to put in it, fixed it up some, ended up selling it (at a loss) to a friend, 2 weeks later he crashed it and hung on the side of an overpass on a LA freeway. Lesson learned - worst auto purchase I ever did.

5. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

here's one. listed a 302 and automatic through Craigslist. I had it bolted to a rolling stand I welded up quick just so it wouldn't be so much in the way. thing has been rolling around my shop for 10 years.

guy shows up, buys it and I get the cherry picker and we put it in his truck. he has no ropes or straps, and thinks he is going to drive 1 hour home with the motor on wheels in the back of his truck. not only was it on wheels, but it was a bit top heavy and could easily fall over sideways. I give him some rope and he kind of loosly wraps it around the motor and off he goes.

he must be friends with the guy who bought my non running 450 lb motorcycle. the guy thought he would pick it up and lay it down in the back of his 4WD Toyota. I ended up selling him some wratchet straps and we did it right.

6. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

Back in the late 80's a friend of mine wanted to buy my dads very nice '57 Fairlane. Showed up one day, cash in hand. We were in the garage, looking over the car, talking about what all was done to it. (note, the car needed nothing, it was finished) and my dopey friend asks my dad "How does it go in the snow?" Dads reply was, "It don't and never will. Here is your money" At this point we left the garage and dad locked it up and went inside.
    on a side note, my dad still has the car.

7. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It went from making me angry, to becoming a big joke. Anymore, I expect stupidity.

When I do finally talk with a non-stupid person, I find
    myself wanting to hug 'em just for being normal...lol.

8. Fenders

Fenders

CORTNEY should read your last line and take a lesson....

9. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

Edsel58a how does it go in the snow ?????? wtf i thought i had heard it all till that line , sheesh

10. I have been very fortunate with calls and E-mails about cars I have sold,,I haven't experienced some of the insane things some of you have,,,and extremely happy about not having those idiots call me. HRP

11. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

So i got this 28 ford sport coupe body with the roof cut off of it i was trying to sell. I didnt put a picture of it cause if someone wants it theyll come look at it. I got an email and i recognize the name as the guy i tried to buy a model a from. I test drove it with his son and the next day on the phone said i would buy it for the asking price and would come up the next day when the rain stopped. Well he dodged my calls and i bought a real nice rpu from Bear metal kustoms. I find out from his son that since i offered the asking price he thought he could get more for it. Took him a year. Anyway so he emailed about the sport coupe saying since there was no picture he would give me 25 dollors. I replied "sure but i get to fuck your wife and kick you in the teeth". He didnt take the deal.

Then this other guy actually comes to look at it. At this point i had added a frame and stock front and rearend. He starts talking about trading and i told him i was looking for a 39 trans. He then starts trying to trade me a bare rusty case and a used unknown 41 box so i can make one. This guy right now has a 29 tudor body completely seperated on C-list. If you add up all the body parts it comes to 4 grand.

Im gunna put this nailhead i got into the sport coupe.

12. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

I try to avoid jerks, so I tend not to sell stuff.

13. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

...will you take payments?

I've got a slightly OT '66 Impala I've been trying to sell for quite a while now. Its an extremely solid one owner car with 34k miles, and has a 283 that runs like a dream, the problem is its a 4dr sedan and I've got the thing blown apart as a stalled restoration.

Anyways, I post it on Craigslist and get no calls for about 6 weeks. One day out of the blue a guy calls me looking to buy a winter project. Now the ad says "four door sedan...I've got over $4ooo into it, but am willing to take less" cuz I know theres no way i'm getting my money back. We talk for a while on the phone, I give him my shop address. Then he tells me that he's really not interested in such a "big" project" So now I'm thinking, gee there goes 30minutes of my life i'll never get back.

About 2 hours after the phone call he walks into my shop, Just strolls in. I showed him the car, and all the parts that are scattered about that go with the car. He looks it over for quite a long time, looks to me and says "even if you gave me this car, I'd still lose money on it" I wasn't all that happy at this point, but I kept my composure. Then he says "whats your rock bottom price?'' told him the same # i told him earlier on the phone. "I'll have to think it over....I don't even have a place to put it right now, and my trailer is broke"

Gee, thanks for coming up

14. NEWFISHER

NEWFISHER
    from Oregon

I just recently sold a 59 Apache. I had posted it on CL and on EBAY with a buy it now to reach a broader audience. It SOLD on Ebay within 2 hours, anyway.....during the CL couple days I had a few callers, emailers and txt'ers. One guy who called asked about the rusty areas ( very minimal) and the condition of the painted surface of the truck as I refered to as " patina " see photo below. he rants on about how thrashed it is and would be over ten grand to refinish it etc. I tried to be calm, talked slow, explained etc and he was obviously a type A and lacking his medictaion. His attitude just kept escalading, threatning almost and sounded like I had just kicked his dog. Well after hanging up on him I jumped on Craigslist and typed his phone number into the for sale search engine......WHALLA! I am having so much fun tormenting this bastard on the crap he has listed that instead of working on my trucks, enjoying the HAMB or other hobbies, I am spending hours haunting this FOKKER!
    [​IMG]

15. raidmagic

raidmagic

I bought my Hudson off Craigslist. He posted it, I saw it the same day and called. We went and saw it right then I didn't have all the cash on me so he took a grand to hold it till the next day. The next day I went back with the balance and my trailer. The guy was great. He had 18 calls on the car since I handed him my money with one guy offering $500 more and another offering $1000 more than I was paying. The guy even gave me the numbers of the two guys that offered more and if I wanted to call them and make some money I could. I told him thank you very much for being honest with me and I don't need the numbers I plan on keeping the car.

It was a great CL deal.

16. raidmagic

raidmagic

I have had 2 of the last 3 people that have bought stuff from me ask to borrow my trailer to get said car or host of parts home. Who the hell would loan their trailer to someone on CL they have never met?

17. Cortney

Cortney

HAHAHA! Yes. Yes I should!

18. Window Licker

Window Licker

19. Black Primer

Black Primer

Thats funny, Reminds me of the guy who wanted to trade me some "weed" for a bike I had on CL.

20. flthd31

flthd31

21. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

This is also my philosophy.
    Many years ago, a guy I know was at a swap meet selling a bunch of stuff. He had a single Corvette valve cover that he wanted $20 dollars for. Jerk offers him $10. My buddy says, Nope, I got it outta the trash and I'll throw it back if I don't get $20. The jerk persisted and got insulting, my buddy smashed it with a hammer right in front of the guy.

22. Window Licker

Window Licker

thats about what i expect these days

23. joedoh

joedoh
    from Wichita KS

I sold a chevy colorado on craigslist, it had some dents but ran great. I bought it for my daughter but she was far to entitled to stay out of trouble so I figured I had better uses for the money. kbb pp FAIR CONDITION was 10k, I was asking 5700 and I found what had to have been every a**hole bastard in 50 miles who came over and beat me up over every dent and scratch. In the middle of one guys rant I just walked inside, I could still hear him going off like I had called him up and made him drive over just so I could rattle his nads with a field goal high kick. He must have finally realized I had gone in because a couple minutes the doorbell rang and he shouted " I wasnt done negotiating!"

I sold my gorgeous 62 galaxie 500 4 dr on craigslist and some wiener had the nerve to tell me it would be worth my asking price if it was a two door. I asked him which two doors he wanted me to weld up?

24. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

25. MRTS33

MRTS33

nice!!!!:d

26. stude_trucks

stude_trucks

If you really want to bring the freaks out of CL, try offering something up for free. Most of them make even the worst buyers seem like model citizens.

27. Been trying to sell a diesel Suburban off and on for several years - I sold it cheap to a buddy who was going to fix it, then he decided he wanted to sell it, so I offered to help put it on eBay for a cut.

Now the biggest thing wrong with it is the TH400 when I got it just barely would back up on flat ground, the band was shot, if you came to a small rock that would stop it from moving. Since it's sat the last three years or so, it will actually back up some on it's own. But as I understand it the same band is also used for direct drive in it. I never drove it fast enough to see if it would even go into third - I bought another truck with a rebuilt trans, parted it out, and kept the trans for this truck. It ran great then, it runs good now, it has brakes and you can drive it - just not very fast; I might chance going 50 or 100 miles with it, but that's about it.

I've lost count of how many clowns think they're going to jump into this truck and drive it 300, 500, 1000 miles home. I cancelled a sale because the guy did not pay the deposit or pay off the truck in the allotted time because I had another guy say he wanted it, then this asshole changes his mind after asking if I have plates on it and I have to explain that no, I haven't, because it needs the trans replaced and I don't know if the one in it will even go into high gear.

So I relisted it. Tonight I cancelled a bid from a new account with no feedback.

Oh, and there was the guy who wanted detailed pictures of the rear body brace on this because he wants a solid body to build and isn't even going to use the motor in it. I told him it was a $1200 truck with at least $500 in spare parts at you-pull-it yard prices, a motor worth $500, and the rest would bring at least $400 at the scrap yard as-is, I wasn't going to knock myself out like it was a $12,000 truck that needed nothing.

I can't figure it out, a pickup like it sold at a state auction for $1400 last month and people kept talking about how that was super cheap for what it was.

I'm also sick of people who make a lowball offer because "they got one like it for $Xxx last month" or whatever. If you need mine too, it couldn't have been that great, and what you stole from someone who didn't know or didn't care what it should sell for is irrelevant to me.

28. mt94ss

mt94ss

Going through the same thing tonight. I am cleaning out the shop and have my '59 T-bird listed and I've been getting the worst calls. From guys saying that they will be right over to wanting to trade a set of used SBC heads for it?!?! Really? I pulled that one for now. I am selling my wife's quad that she must have put maybe 25 hours on if that, it's listed for less than half of what a comparable new one would cost and people still want to go half of that. It has to be the economy.

I did just get my '59 GMC for a reasonable price off CL, and a '56 Pontiac Star Chief.

Weird Al does a great Jim Morrison in his CL song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4sALru9IJk

29. "T'RANTULA"

"T'RANTULA"
    from Ohio

I bet that guys face was like this. :eek:

30. metlmunchr

metlmunchr

About 10 yrs ago I sold a 79 F150 short bed 4x4. I'd had the truck since new and it had zero rust or body damage. Had a 351M and auto, and the engine was bone tired. Listed it in the local free classified paper and sold it for $1500 to the first guy who came to look at it.

He told me he had a 460 and a bunch of stuff to put in it and he'd been looking for a truck like this one for 3 or 4 yrs, and how every one he'd looked at had been off-roaded and beat to hell. He seemed happy as a pig in the mud to get the truck.

About 6 months later, I stop at a convenience store down the street from the shop and some guy speaks to me. Didn't recognize him until he told me he'd bought my pickup.

So I ask him if he'd gotten the new motor and other stuff in it yet and if it was on the road. He says no, he's gotta get a few more parts for it and then asks if I know anyone who might have a fender, door, and quarter. They'd gotten a pair of mules from somewhere, and didn't have any sort of shelter for them, so they'd parked the truck parallel to a shed and then stretched a tarp from the shed across the truck and tied it down to make a shelter. The mules got in a kicking fight and wrecked the entire left side of the body. I felt sorry for the guy, but at the same time I was about to choke to keep from busting out laughing as the vision of this mule fight was going thru my head. It ain't no wonder why some people just never seem to get ahead :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.