Register now to get rid of these ads!

318 Poly Speed Goodies?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 340HilbornDuster, Nov 13, 2012.

1. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just scored a nice 318 Poly.
    I want to soup it up!
    I know it uses the same crank, transmission & timing gears as LA engines.

1. Anyone knows where to find stroker kits, or other speed parts for it?
    2. Anyone have experience building one of these?

Mahalo
    Tommy

Attached Files:

2. 35 Dodge Hot Rod

35 Dodge Hot Rod
    from Mecca

3. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the links...The SEMI HEMI does have some potential!

Anyone knows what hapened to qualityengineeredcomponents?

T

4. 29Jay

29Jay
    from Ft Worth

I am running this same motor in my 29 Sedan. Not much in the way of speed parts. But the hunt for the ones that are out there are worth it for the fun.

5. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

Just wondering...in basicly stock condition, how would you rate the power?
    Good or just adequate???

I have a stock Poly to put into my 63 Dodge and to tell the truth I'm having concerns about if I'm going to like it or not.
    If its only "OK" in a lighter Hot Rod it has no hope in a much bigger B body!
    I need an engine that can hold its own on the highway and pass things if needed.

I love the look of them...but....:confused:

6. George

George

Nothing! He's 73RR here on the Board!:)

7. 35desoto

35desoto

They can be a great torquey motor - dont knock it as it can hold its own with many of the other brand engines of a similar size. Finding a good intake manifold is the best step - grinding a cam is relatively straightforward - sorry no new ones that I know of. Electronic ignition from a LA engine fits straight in however extractors or headers are basically up to you or a good exhaust shop to fabricate. There is a ton of info out there - you do have to look for it but they are a very underrated engine. 62onwqard ones share the same oil pump as a LA so no hassles there - i've found getting a good balance job is good -0 almost free horsepower. The most limiting factor I've found with them is the ones we got had a 2.76:1 ratio diffs and while good for cruising they are not the most exciting performance gear ratio - been changing them to 3.23 on auto's and 3.55 on manuals to help the engines work better.

8. R Pope

R Pope

The poly heads are better than the LA heads, all other things being equal. A good cam, intake and exhaust will really put some life into your engine. We had a '62 Dart with a 260 horse 318, that's just 15 less than a 340! It had no problem driving away from a 289 4V Comet.
    A buddy had a '58 Fury with a dual-four 318, it hauled that big tank really well.
    Mopar went to the later heads so the engine would fit in smaller cars better. Cheaper to build, too.
    Edelbrock made a four barrel intake, might still be available.

9. Edelbrock, Weiand & Offy all made twin 4 intakes that were a copy of the factory cast iron twin 4 intake, all very hard to find now, the last alloy intake that was common was the Weiand # 7503 single 4 intake but even these are uncommon now, Edelbrock also made a P600 triple 97 intake. The stock and I think all aftermarket twin 4 intakes used the WCFB Carter pattern, Edelbrock/Weber 4 barrells fit with an adaptor. All LA 318 distributors fit, same with timing chain & oil pump, water pumps will fit but may have outlet on the wrong side.........1963 or 62 onwards 318 Polys are the bset bet as the Alloy 727 Torqueflites and Converters fit..........62 and earlier use the cast iron T/f with different crank flange. Edelbrock also made nice finned Alloy rocker covers, very hard to find now although Al Fountain here in Oz makes a finned alloy Poly rocker cover.
    ........I've had one in my 1940 Oz Dodge since 1973.......I'll grow outa it soon........lol........andyd

Attached Files:

robbins likes this.
  10. 73RR

73RR

...was I lost again...? Somedays it feels like I'm lost, either that or the tequila had its way with me last night...:p

11. TTI makes headers for the 318 poly, but I think 1 3/4" is way too big for a mild or even a well built 318, like WAY too big. Unless you put a blower on it, then that changes things.

The drivers side is not even close to equal length either . . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://www.ttiexhaust.com/Header-TTI318BC/Polyheaders.htm

12. 73RR

73RR

The DTA (Dodge Truck Assoc) sells these...but the price is waaaay high...
    [​IMG]

13. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Stock 318 with 2 barrel, 230HP comparable to the later 318 used in cars and trucks up to the early 90s. Similar to a Ford 302 or Chev 305 base engine. Perfectly capable of keeping up with traffic and even passing but not a hot rod motor.

If I had your Dodge I would try it with the 318. If you need a little more power, or if the engine is tired and worn out, I would consider rebuilding it with a mild hop up like a cam, 4 barrel carb and dual exhaust. If you really need a BIG HP boost, go with the big block.

The base engine is strong enough to take a considerable HP boost with stock rods, crankshaft, block, heads etc. Also the head design is not bad for HP.

Others have taken this engine to 375-400HP with heavy mods. A fairly mild hop up should give you 300HP or a little more without killing mileage or engine life. If you really need big power the big block engine is more economical because you can get 440 cu in and 400HP without major mods..

One thing that never gets mentioned. In old road tests from the 50s and 60s the 318 consistently got 2 or 3 more MPG than comparable Chevs and Fords with 283s and 292s. With today's gas prices fuel economy is worth thinking about. A 318 will also get better mileage than a big block.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  14. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi Mr 73RR

I was refering to your link:
    www.qualityengineeredcomponents.com

No Work!
    This error (HTTP 500 Internal Server Error) means that the website you are visiting had a server problem which prevented the webpage from displaying.
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=730><TBODY><TR><TD id=infoIconAlign vAlign=top rowSpan=2 width=60 align=left> </TD><TD id=mainTitleAlign vAlign=center width=* align=left>The website cannot display the page

15. 73RR

73RR

Big Thanks for the heads up! I do not usually search for me...I'll get my server guy to look into it.

16. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No Worries!

Trying to soak anything / everything about these Poly's!

17. Years ago, we dropped a 4412 Holley on a stock Poly in a 65 Coronet. Pretty amazing how just a carb woke that motor up. It outran a LOT of 350 Camaros and Chevelles...:rolleyes:

18. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've always been a diehard 340 guy! (haven't found a 331,354,392 H yet)

Knowing that this is an LA with GIGANTIC Intake / Exhaust runners!! (should be good!)

& It looks like a million bucks compaired to the LA...
    And the 340 is a Killer Engine!
    (the LA engine is called the "small block Hemi" [cause it breads well]...
    The Guy that said that must have looked at the "LA" Poly?)

& and if I can get my "Potvin adapter" to work, it'll fit the Poly!
    (I built it for one of my LA engines)
    I'm stoked!

T

Attached Files:

19. 73RR

73RR

20. Abomination

Abomination

21. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

22. 53 COE

53 COE
    from PNW

Found a neat set of valve cover decals for 318 Poly's on eBay:

POLY decals

:cool:

23. 340HilbornDuster

340HilbornDuster
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

24. Shaggy

Shaggy
    from Sultan, WA

How much speed parts do you need?? I'm pretty sure there was a 2x4 intake from the factory and a mallory YC distributer for early hemi i think is a drop in(correct me if wrong, been a lot of years since i looked stuff up) Other than that stuff mill the heads and throw in a regrind and go racing!

25. big M

big M

'57-8 Fury had a twin four barrel intake, standard with WCFB carbs. These engines also used different heads, dual point distributor, and a different cam grind than the standard poly 318.
    This is one in my daily driver.

---John

Attached Files:

26. hendo0601

hendo0601
    from Tacoma, WA

If you can find an older MoPar station wagon with a Poly 318 and A/C it came with a factory single 4bbl intake manifold...they are SUPER rare, so snatch it up if you can! The 2x4 intakes are much more common. I even came across a 1bbl intake manifold AND matching valve covers that said "318 1bbl" on them...I was told it came from some industrial machinery....I bought them because they just seemed weird! The Poly 318 is definitely no slouch, it's just a matter of piecing together the parts and finding a machine shop worth a damn who knows what they are doing to put it together for you. I have owned many Polys and they have always been dead-on reliable and bullet proof.

27. murfman

murfman

28. George

George

Only if the Mallory was for the 241/259/270 Dodge/Plymouths.

29. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have a '65 Sport Fury with a 3 on the tree and a 2-bbl 318 poly. I have been looking for years for a stock or Weiand 4-BBL intake. They show up on eBay once in a while, but go for close to $1000. I'll wait (maybe until I die) to find one more reasonablihiny priced. The dual quads are a little too much for me, but they are real expensive too.

I think Weiand (or someone else) could do very well re-popping this manifold and selling it in the $395 range. There seems to be a LOT of demand.

Tubman

Last edited: Sep 20, 2013
  30. OldColt

OldColt

I drove a borrowed 65 Dodge Coronet 4 Door family car with a totally stock 318 2bbl poly once. It cruised at 75-80 on the interstate effortlessly with plenty of passing reserve at that speed. Would peel out pretty good from a dead stop with an automatic tranny too. It wasn't a muscle car by any means, but plently enough for everyday driving. It was a pretty new low mileage car though , and not tired.

--- Steve ---