Register now to get rid of these ads!

Rag Joint vs. U-Joint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jeem, May 31, 2012.

1. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

On a side not, any of you guys building your linkage to colapse? I'm doing a 605 Conversion on my 62 Bel Air and was thinking of upgrading to the colapseable shaft

2. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

No way. My column is rigidly mounted, pointed straight at my heart.

3. S_Mazza

S_Mazza

+1.

I think Ford will install a rag joint up to at least 7 or 8 degrees off of parallel.

4. Energy

Energy

Can also find them on 84-96 Jeep Cherokee's (not the Grand Cherokee's). Can find lots of usable steering U-joints on early-mid 90s cadillacs too.

NAPA used to be able to order you a rag-joint rebuild kit. Don't know if they still can.

;)

5. Got one at Pep Boys for the Pinto for about five bucks just a month ago

6. Elbopper

Elbopper

I have this for sale 3/4 DD X 36 SPLINT

Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  7. Elbopper

Elbopper

Brand new nver instelled BORGERSON #28-4

8. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Hotroddon, I know exactly what your saying, Ive seen that also on alot of OE stuff. Just call it like it is. If I, or anyone else would say it's ok to use a rag for just slight degree changes between the colum and the box would open a whole new can of worm's. Better to say, don't use, than have someone think that that one more degree of angle is ok then has a failer. No differant than them stupid, "Caution Coffee is Hot, you may get Burned" on cup lids. There's always a dumb one in the crowd that deserves what they get, but Laywers are more than happy to get them money.

9. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Ditto, to all that advise against rag joints !!!!

4TTRUK

10. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Sooo you assumed you were talking to the "dumb one in the crowd"? I was asking a question to hot rod types (you know, the HAMB?). Not a bunch of lawyers practicing CYA.

11. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

No not at all. What I'm trying to convey here is, there are people that run with a suggestion and assume that all is ok. Not aimed at you or others here that understand what is at hand here on this topic. Besides, these are your words on post #1 "Anyway, topic for discussion, debate, whatever..." and this to "Well, anyway, I'd love to come back and read some of y'all's opinions on this."

12. JEM

JEM

...but if you call Borgeson, and tell them you're going to hook a column to a power-steering box or rack, they'll tell you to use a rag joint for noise suppression.

Or one of their vibration dampers...

13. S_Mazza

S_Mazza

Dorman makes them. They have 2 sizes available. Neither one fits what I have, but at least they cover something. They also don't have the conductive elements that would be needed in some cars, where the horn was grounded through the column.

14. many stock Ford application rag joints have a metal tab that goes across the bolts and creates a ground path from one side of the rag to the other.

15. yruhot

yruhot

If you use a aftermarket universal be sure to read the instructions about countersinking the shaft with a drill bit for the grub screw, phasing the shafts, a little locktight, and keep an eye on if for the rest of your life. Just kidding but you know how anything mechanical is subject to failure. Have Also been told rag joints are not for changing angles of the steering shaft. YRUHOT.............Doug

16. drptop70ss

drptop70ss
    from NY

I am in the middle of steeering setup on my current build and found this information written by a GM steering sytems engineer. He also has great pages on steering box information and specifications as well..anyway looks like the rag joint can do up to 5 degrees of angle. This is a word document so you will have to open it.

http://jimshea.corvettefaq.com/?p=805

For those who have replaced their rag joint with a universal and regularly drive your cars did you notice a difference in vibration through the steering wheel?

17. Back during my early years of hot rods rag joints was all I ever used,,today I lean toward the universal joints.

Why,,because the rag joints for the most part are obsolete and I won't use a old worm out one,,and to me the universal joints are clean looking although they tend to magnify any vibration you might have. HRP

18. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Steering, brakes, tires,..... I'd never "cheap it" on any of those,........

Just my thoughts....... 4TTRUK

19. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

When did U-joints for steering make the scene in rodding? I have a couple on my '33 truck's sterring system, and to be honest I hate the way they look (shiney polished stainless, I wish I bought the little blackened steel ones). But with a Vega box, I don't have many other options.

20. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

Don't have an answer as to when, but like all thing's in the beginning. Such as, when the first person altered they're frame and moved there box, whatever was in the hardware store or war surplus was game on.

21. [​IMG]

Oh my God, man! That joint is huge! :D

22. Johnny Gee

Johnny Gee
    from Downey, Ca

[​IMG]

23. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Way back when Moby Dick was a minnow, before everything scared us, I used to rebuild rag joints using a chunk of the rubberized belting that farmers used to run machinery with, from the PTO pulley on the side of the tractor. I know of one I rebuilt that is still in use, after 35+ years and unknown miles. And if I recall correctly, there was a bit of an angle between the column and sector. They do have a built-in fail safe in that two pins on one side of the joint will engage in slots on the other side, and still provide loose, but usable steering.

24. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Naw, that wasn't the point. I was wanting to hear thought about the viability of a rag-joint in a nearly straight setup because in my mind IF a u-joint ever let go, you have NO connection with the steering at that point. Most rag-joints offer a fail-safe that would hopefully let you limp to the side of the road with a modicum of control.

25. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

About the late seventies to the mid eighties. Before that rag joints were the common thing.
    Some of the upline builders over in L.A. started digging up thses cool little joints I'm assuming in aircraft salvage and surplus joints that were common over there. As I said, that was late seventies. Seems to me that Borgeson started marketing their u-joints too us in the mid eighties.

26. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Wouldn't the mear presence of you behind the wheel constitute a "medicum of control"?! Especially directionally? :D LOL, note the use of a smiley face!

27. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

Ouch. True, but ouch.

One thing though, I'm pretty damn sure only 3% of y'all actually READ my opening post. Ebbspeed(?) why couldn't you have read and replied to this much earlier on?! hahahaaa

28. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

x3, Apples and Oranges. I support you on this Johnny Gee.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  29. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Dude, in the situation that you mention I wouldn't have any trouble in my heart and soul putting a rag joint in. It had been done 6.4 bazzillion times in years past. A U-joint is a much cleaner looking deal though. Rag joints always screamed "dug it out of a wrecking yard in '73" to me.

30. Do you mean it looks "traditional", then and not GoodGuys standard issue? ;)

~Alden