Register now to get rid of these ads!

Another Rod shop up in flames... Hot Rod Recue in San Diego

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Metaltwister, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

I did a search but didnt see anything else on this... If this is duplicate info. please shoot me the links. Thanks

San Diego's Hot Rod Rescue went up in smoke a few days ago. Ive heard they didnt have any insurance and lost everything inside. The attention quickly moved to a ajoining building that was a Pot grow house. Got all the scoop on the pot house but was wondering what was lost in the rod shop? I have a Cobra in my shop that was there till this last week when it came to me for some custom aluminum work.... Anyone know these guys Id like to help? them out if I can?

Last edited: Nov 13, 2012
  2. I heard about it on the radio this morning on the way to work. Actually I heard about the fire (and the pot) a few days ago but this morning was the first time they mentioned a hot rod shop. Sounded like they had only been open for about a week and the two guys that opened it are ex-military. About $150k in damage.

3. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

Unless Im thinking of someone else down that way I think they have been around for awhile... But not sure?

4. junk yard kid

junk yard kid

5. Metaltwister

Metaltwister
    Member Emeritus

EDIT:
    I stand corrected... Brand new shop about a week old according to a news blurb I just heard. Bummer!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2012
  6. slamchop

slamchop
    from San Diego

This was my shop. I have been open in San Diego for about a year. Its mainly been a hobby shop to build my own cars and sell to make ends meet. A few months ago I brought in a couple friends who are also disabled Vets. We came up with the shop name a week or so ago, and also talked about insurance. Ironic. We lost everything. We will bounce back eventually, cause nothing can ruin a passion. God bless

Attached Files:

7. Jay Tyrrell

Jay Tyrrell

Here is to hoping for the best for you guys!
    Jay

8. Bummer - stick with it if you can.

9. Kustom292

Kustom292
    from Winnipeg

That sucks. Did they find a cause? I ask because I work in the insurace industry in Canada and I see this way to much. Also because if it relates to something that was done either to your building or in another building you would be able to take the resposable party to court to get a legal order to pay for damage. Either way it just sucks.

10. I wish you the best of luck and I admire your tenacity. You're right, nothing can ruin a passion.

11. I wish you guys a lotta luck,,but taking the tenets in the building next door that were grown pot is probably going to be a pipe dream.:rolleyes: HRP

12. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

13. That sucks about the fire, I can't imagine.

I don't have many extra tools but do think I have some wrenches and stuff I could donate to your rebuild. They won't be of good brandnames but they'll still turn a bolt.

Let me know if you're needing any help and I'll send'm south to you. Just dust the snow and ice off the package when it arrives.

14. So sorry to hear about your loss!!! Godspeed in bouncing back!!!

But we all need to learn a lesson from this!!! I've heard about far too many cars and cool parts being lost in shop fires in the last couple of years. PLEASE check into sprinkler systems and/or some other forms of fire alarms, especially if you're running a commercial shop and have cars that are not your own in there.

A buddy of mine about four hours west of here is just finishing up a NICE 8 car garage adjacent to his house and I have been BEGGING him to install a relatively cheap pendant "wet" system in his new building, but so far he hasn't buckled under my pressure. :/

15. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

I guess it pays to keep an eye on what the other tenants are doing on the property. Sucks to have to think that way,............

4TTRUK

16. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

scarry. sorry for your loss, you can rebuild. good luck

17. Johnnyboy69

Johnnyboy69
    from Pomona, CA

Keep your head up man! :D

18. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Wow that is some serious damage.
    Hope you bounce back like you plan.
    TP

19. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

go to link that Rocky Famoso has in his message. or cbs8.com and click on Hot Button or sdveteransfire.com donation site that you can give via PayPal, etc or/and materials. email: [email protected] keep bumping this thread to top.

20. So did this start in your shop or the Pot Farm or ????

21. slamchop

slamchop
    from San Diego

Thanks everyone, today was the roughest. Its awesome to get so much support, and glad for good friends. The fire started in the metal shop next to mine, it was electrical. The pot farm had nothing to do with it. In the process of salvaging and looking for a new place. Again thank you.

22. San Diego is both a tight hot rod community and is loyal to its vets. One door closes, another opens. Good luck on the rebound.

23. VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

VOODOO ROD & CUSTOM

Best wishes. With an attitude like yours, you'll go far in Life.

Take care,
    VR&C.

24. Old Tin and New Tin

Old Tin and New Tin

Make sure you keep in touch with the fire marshall and the metal shop's insuror. Depending on the cause of the electrical failure in the metal shop you may have a liability claim against the shop or the firm or contractor that did the electrical work if the electrical failure was a result of their negligence.

25. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Man, there some really crappy comments in that story Rocky posted. Some folks love to kick a man when he's down.

26. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Yeah, I read some of those, and really could not believe how some people have no compassion whatsoever. I just hope when they are down and out, nobody kicks them like that...
    To slamchop, being Veterans, and having Service related disabilities, you should get in contact with the Veterans Admin. I'm sure they can help your situation. You should be eligible for a Small Business Loan through them.
    Try every avenue open to you guys, you earned it, not like anybody is giving you something that is not justified.

27. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Hi Slamchop.Best of luck to you and friends for a quick recovery.Thank you and your friends for your service.God bless you all.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

28. hemifalcon

hemifalcon

I made sure to leave a message on there.. It's a "positive" one...

29. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Just read it, real Stand Up! Thanks on behalf of our guys...