Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects My first real 33 ford Coupe

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by SCOTT GILLEN, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

I kinda get what he's saying...

There's nothing really wrong with this build but when you throw EVERY over the top rare part on a car it gets a bit tiresome. There's no art to it. I stop seeing a sinister coupe...I just see dollar signs. Don't get me wrong, I chase the rare stuff just like everybody else but a little goes a long way. I can see finding a rare part and building a car around it but here's a pile of parts built around a car. Anyone with enough scratch in their pocket can build this car over and over and anyone deep into this little hobby of ours are seeing it a lot these days. To each there own...I'm sure the car will do everything you want it to do for you. JohnnyA

2. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

Add one more to the "thunder" column , I think you're moving in a good direction . Thanks for sharing your project .

3. 39Truck

39Truck
    from Sweden

Great ,you have a very good looking coupe now :)

4. Stu Padasso

Stu Padasso

Make that Thunder 4. Beats spending the big bux on those goofy looking Ridler show cars......

5. SCOTT GILLEN

SCOTT GILLEN
    from California

Well, gotta say that the time and thought into this Build was many many......to say the least. The thought behind how much chop to give it or even to chop. The engine alone, forget the money but yes any motor would be easy. The wait and the thinking of the Ardun and will it fit in there. The fire wall and how to cut it but leave it original at the same time. The none finish nickel on the car, the fully restored Kinmonts. I do see what you are saying about how you just spend money and you can get the same thing. I will respectfully disagree because before you spend you need to find. I have found parts on the car that you will never see. It is hard to find parts and then get them to work and not chop the shit out of you car at the same time. Restore parts and not chrome them all to hell, thats the subtle art of the build. I have spent years shooting cars for a living, when you say, "Tasteless" I ask why. Do you have any taste? How about I build the same car that we have all seen time and time again and then when you see it, you can say you seen that done so many times. The thing I think about the 33 is that I get to see a car that I have not seen before, one that is not just some shinny piece of shit that anyone can build with a bunch on money. The time spent in thought was great and I started with a real cat and a perfect car at that.....Well thats my thought and i am sure now we will see this thread go off......

Scott Gillen

6. SCOTT GILLEN

SCOTT GILLEN
    from California

Thunder 1111

7. billylo

billylo

Keep it coming Scott! Shake the haters off!!!

8. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

I like the coupe and I've enjoyed seeing the parts on the car that most of us have never seen. With that being said; I can see why some people wouldn't like it. It doesn't make them "haters", just people with their own opinion and their own vision. This is a world-wide forum and when posting builds; differing opinions will come. I DO wish you didn't chop it; everything is chopped nowadays and I was really wishing it stayed the way it was. Regardless; it still looks great.

I'm going to be honest and say that I've read through every page of this thread envying what you have done with that coupe but at the same time; reading your posts and such; despite what you've posted above, I see a "shiny car that anyone can build with a bunch of money." You have a very talented builder doing the work, but in the end, a trophy winner isn't just a car that has been built off of every rare hot rod part out there because the owner could afford to do so. Some of your posts come off very arrogant.

It's a beautiful coupe and thanks very much for sharing the build with us; we don't get to see stuff like this very often. Its a priviledge to see it....

9. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

well, i dont know where you are going with the finished product, but i can imagine just this sort of car as something a well established guy might have built to go fast on the dry lakes. but, he invested so much of himself in it, that he had to drive it every day too. lots of dough tied up in it? sure, but it goes like stink, and it was probably his only car.

that's the back story i see. that, and a couple years after it was finished, it was finally discovered by some little pages concern, and featured on the cover and a 12 page spread, with (gasp) color photos...

10. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

it's funny what other people read into someone's posts. i think Scott comes off as giddy and excited beyond his ability to contain himself. not arrogant.

but i guess how we read it is what makes for the debate.

11. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

I too,think your build is over the top.I would like to see it finished,it's all about hotrods,and you have a nice one.keep-on keepin-on

12. SCOTT GILLEN

SCOTT GILLEN
    from California

I learned long ago, without "The Haters" we have nothing. The controversial conversation is always great to have, just back it up with some kind of point, as in why is it tasteless.
    Don't want the thread to turn into someone beating up the car. You never know what goes into a build unless you first ask the builder.

Scott

13. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Scott!!!! Those wheels look incredible on there. While they may not be the ones that finally end up on the car, they do in fact fit the bill very much. That car as it sits is perfect even in primer! Gonna be really nice with paint but I can't help to love it already.

Don't worry about any negative comments. I for one think it's coming together really well and looking great.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

14. SCOTT GILLEN

SCOTT GILLEN
    from California

Just happy to have seen it in my head and had it come to life.....Not an asshole just happy to be able to build a car that I wished of when I was younger. Thats all guys, been here before and will be here again.

Scott

15. SCOTT GILLEN

SCOTT GILLEN
    from California

Funny thing is, I never worry about much, thanks for the vote....I think were 6 Thunder now.

Scott

16. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

make it a lucky 7.

so, back to the subject of the car itself (imagine that) why were the other attempts at the wheels a failure? and why was there no resolution?

i like the high clearance wheels in the rear, with the skinny steelies up front, it's a very purposeful competition look. just curious about the castoffs.

17. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

If this were really about just throwing money around you'd have 3.5" V860 '40 Ford wheels up front to serve as rollers... :D:D:D I fully expect you to tell me that they are not 4.5" wide up front and in fact 3.5" soon after posting.

Really though, I'm taking notes for my own coupe here. While I don't have a 2spd quickie I am paying attention to the subtlety of textures and finishes placed around the car. Tons of restraint shown to those that are willing to see it for more then face value.

Any guy that that has turned down Holley 94's in search for matching large logo 97's OR sought out 2-5/8" SW gauges for their dash amongst other things is guilty of being a bit superfluous when building these cars. Nothing wrong with seeking out parts that you find interesting and worthy of YOUR car if that's the way you envision it right? I say go for it as long as the over all package is cohesive and well done. This is a pretty amazing build.....

18. SCOTT GILLEN

SCOTT GILLEN
    from California

I had tried to make sand casted vintage Halibrands with knock off but wanted the real deal and could not get them with the offset needed. At the end the wheels that are on the car will be the final wheel combo. The Milk truck wheels are correct for the day, as that gave more speed to the car back then before there were all the different gears we have today. Taller tire rotation, hence the small wheels up from. I have had three direness sets of wheels made and none worked out at all. This wheel is Original and looks the best and there 18'

Scott

19. klazurfer

klazurfer

Scott .. I see where you came from .. My first car was a 34 3windr .. I was 20 years old in fiing Norway . I found parts never seen in Norway before :) .. I love your Build !!

Klaz

20. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

^^^^^^YAY!!!!!^^^^^ Awesome Scott!!!! I am excited to hear that.

21. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

Expressing one's opinion doesn't make them a "hater." I think someone reffered to it as "tasteless" because you've chosen to go out and buy any hard to find part to build a car around. It seems like you wanted to have everything everyone didn't have and spend boatloads of money on such things in order to beat everyone at a car show. The build is about all of the rare parts on the car; not the actual fabrication and little things that truly make a traditional hot rod one that stands out from the rest. Which is fine, if that's your cup of tea. For many people on the HAMB, the measure of a great build lies in the little things done by the builder: Ex: fabricating a gas tank, seat, etc (the work of art portions of it). That's where they find "taste". It's ok if it's not everyone's cup of tea; to each their own. I personally love the car; it's nice to see something we don't normally see. eep up the good work!

22. SCOTT GILLEN

SCOTT GILLEN
    from California

I thank you for the "kind" words and yes I have not just thrown money at the car, if I had it would have been done long ago......I have shown much restraint in the build and I think taste also. I have searched for parts not seen because thats the point. I have had parts I cant find that I wanted and made it work the way I see it with the parts I was able to fine. I still think at the end the car sit correct and has a great look to it. Thats what its all about, I love it....Fuck the rest. It's my car and thats why we all have our own process to go through. Individuality is the key here and being timeless, two things a car must have.

Scott

23. SCOTT GILLEN

SCOTT GILLEN
    from California

There is tons of Hard work in the car, fabrication on the fire wall itself was hard to still keep the original look just to get the engine in there.................

Not gonna turn the thread into whats and whats not....sorry.
    Scott

24. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

[​IMG]

25. SCOTT GILLEN

SCOTT GILLEN
    from California

Thats what its al about, the process of building the car and the fact that it grows as a project and an art form. I build many things and I take them all very personal and allow them to grow by themselves to become what they will. In the start of the build I was stead fast on no chop, but after we got it all the way to the end, when the frame was powder coated......I stood back. When I saw the car as a whole I thought it might look great if we did a small chop, and we did. The chop is 3" thats it and look great to me. I could have chopped that thing all the way down and had the same look as all the other ones Ive seen. That the point here as of late on this thread.......It's my design and how I see the car coming together. It might not be the best, but I think its turned out great so far. I am very happy to hear that many think its nice and now I see that some think it's not so nice or that some this I am arrogant, I never mean to be that way. I have just posted the build along the way for those who wish to follow, can. I will continue to do so for this who want to see more and hope it turns out that way I want it too.

Scott

26. BOP-Nut

BOP-Nut

I was just yankin' your chain man, the car looks great with the subtle chop. Can't wait to see more.

27. SCOTT GILLEN

SCOTT GILLEN
    from California

I know you were no issues, I just wanted to say it because the thread had taken this turn, so I was getting it off my chest. Theres so much more for me on this car than the car itself....No worries

Scott

28. bonesy

bonesy

Your final wheel choice is THE wheel choice for the car. Perfect.

29. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

I don't know how anybody could call this a tasteless build???

Nothing Rudy touches is tastless!

The car is amazing collection of rare speed parts that is comming together great in my opinion.

30. Elrod

Elrod

Argh... dreamy.