Register now to get rid of these ads!

Shifter cable ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 32 hudson, Nov 12, 2012.

1. 32 hudson

32 hudson

For you guys using the shifter cable what are you using for gromet / or so called shifter boot to seal around the cable where it passes through the floor? I am using a B&M cable. Been looking at Oem cables wich come with the gromet. I can not find a listing for just the gromet.

2. I'm interested in this one as well.

Right now I just have a hole the cable passes through. Not bad this time of year because it lets heat in, but certainly isn't suppose to pass tech at the track.

3. I use heavy duty battery cable type grommets. If there is any extra room, a dab of silicone.

4. You guy's can laugh, but the Gromet assortment pack H/F is not all that bad. I have used these before on some high end builds and race cars, I mean they are just grommets.

To make one into a Split-Grommet take a pair of dykes, or diaganol cutters if you prefer and cut a 45 degree slice into one side and walla, you have a split grommet.

5. truck

truck
    from Brisbane

i just went to the parts shop and found the right size grommet for the hole in floor and cut out the hole for the cable.

6. If you simply can't bring yourself to use the H/F assortment, get a assortment from Jeggs or Summit or maybe even NAPA. TR

7. Remember when measuring for the correct hole to drill, use a set of calipers and measure in the groove on the O.D., this way you don't drill a hole and the whole grommet drops through LOL.

8. belair

belair

^^^Too late :)

9. All the same thing anyway. Buy them cheap.

10. You know that, and I know that but......................:rolleyes:

11. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::D

12. Yep, tools a different story....... sometimes :cool:

13. Yea buddy, so for those that may not know, don't use a regular drill bit for the hole, use this...................

Attached Files:

14. There is a problem with using a regular "run of the mill" gromet. A typical gromet is designed to have something go "straight" through. Most shifter cables, especially the B&M and/or Hurst cables, go into the floor at about a 30 degree angle. With that much of an angle you need a boot style piece similar to one found on newer cars with a floor mounted parking brake.

15. You can get them in different sizes so that the hole is suspended in a larger hole, allowing the difference in angles.

16. They dont have to be the standard grommet we all know. Billions of types made.

Attached Files:

17. You could also take say a 6" piece of oil or fuel line, slit it length wise and put it around the cable. Now put the cable wrapped in the small section of line through the grommet. A black plastic wire tie on each end to hold the hose in place.

18. This one looks like it might work.

[​IMG]

19. 32 hudson

32 hudson

Thanks for everyones input. Definately need what ever I am going to use before making the hole. The one in post 18 is simialar to like a second generation camaro /gm type with an angled hole. I think my hole will be on the curvature/side of the trany hump.