Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features 1948-52 New Old Style Kustoms

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by J.B., Dec 12, 2010.

1. Lets start this weekend off right.One of my favorites right here.I love this car and always have.I remember seeing it at a show at Anaheim stadium in the late 90s or very early 2000s.Just a simple clean smooth looking sled and that is what this era of customs is all about for me.

2. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

I really like how he brought the hood all the way down to the grille instead of cutting it straight across like most others did.

3. It all just seems to really work on this car.Im not a huge fan of these grills but I dont hate em either and I think it works really well here.At that Anaheim stadium show I was really young and my car was a complete virgin.I really didn't know all the details about this car back then but I knew I really liked it and it just had that look.I remember getting home and really looking thru old books to see what this great custom car was.At that time I couldn't just type in some words and hit search to answer my questions.I had to put in work and read some actual books and all these years later I still love this custom.

4. green cars... everywhere...

work in progress 48 plymouth. bought it from a HAMBer who bought it from a guy who bought it from the guy who built it. it was a finished late 80's/early 90's custom. complete with toyota door handles, marker lights & mirrors. the grille is built out of bar stock. kinda reminds me of a 41 buick or something. you can see the bumper delete up front and he built a filler panel between the rear fenders to replace the bumper. ick.

so far i have acquired the bumpers, guards and brackets & some desoto caps. gonna keep this one simple. fix the headlights, chrome the grille, repaint it and run it.

[​IMG]

5. 50Fraud

50Fraud

That bumper completely transforms your Plymouth -- really a masterstroke. What is it from?

6. Talk about some Chris-Craft influence........I LOVE this exhaust.

7. Squablow

Squablow

I'm still very curious about this, what was the muffler of choice in this period? I'm diggin' the cutouts on the one pictured above, I'd have a hard time believing that car was very quiet.

Glad to see this thread is still alive and well.

8. thinkfink

thinkfink

Thanks for all the kind words on the Plymouth.
    The bumper is a sectioned, reshaped and smoothed '54 Ford front unit.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

9. I have a pretty good video with sound but my piece of shit phone wont let me upload it to YouTube and then I would post it here.It has been said by plenty of oldtimers that it really has that early sound.

10. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Lots of talking about the exhaust sounds. :p
    I don't know if they used exactly the same mufflers when restoring this
    beauty, but you can hear the nice mellow sound when the car revs up a little.

I have just uploaded a video I shot of the Hirohata Merc when we were
    parking it here in Sweden at a show last spring.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/umMkbywpVr4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

11. 'Mo

'Mo

You can actually hear the Hirohata Merc as it originally sounded, in the movie "Running Wild", with Mamie Van Doren (1955).

[​IMG]

12. koolkemp

koolkemp

The new bumper looks great !

13. fleet-master

fleet-master

quick question guys....what hose clamps were correct for this era? I have some sprung wire type clamps I'm looking at using on my project...thanks in advance for your help , PB

Attached Files:

14. jick

jick
    from london

It's gonna be a looong project, and obviously it's creeping into 1953 territory, but I'm sure you'll all forgive me??
    ImageUploadedByTJJ1352629688.875066.jpg

15. bigrickl74

bigrickl74

^^^^^^^x2:D

16. Jick - Buick headlight doors on a Zephyr? Are those coming off, or are you putting them ON?

17. jick

jick
    from london

haha....they're going ON.
    if it was a '38 or '39 then i wouldnt be doing it, but i just dont like the proportions of the 1941 headlights.....
    I think that the Buicks work well with the shape of the grille.
    here's a pic that i stole from the photoshop thread on here...i believe Mrjinx on here was responsible for it, anyway, it kinda shows where i want to go with this heap...
    [​IMG]

MrJinx has just informed me that JamesD produced the photoshop...so credit where its due!

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  18. Cortney

Cortney

WOW!!! ^^^^^^^^ Thats Amazing!!!

19. thinkfink

thinkfink

thanks big rick.

20. thinkfink

thinkfink

Nice plan for the Zephyr...and I get you have an issue with the stock headlights.
    Just don't get the Buick ones. They seem to downgrade the car to me.
    I'd rather use 1939 Mercury or Chrysler/Desoto airflow ones if the teardrop shape is not your thing...
    But you surely know, what opinions are like... :)
    Just go for it.

21. Was out charging up the battery got a coffee. Maybe I need some early Sombreros those are about the only ones that give me the tingles.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BigO likes this.
  22. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Do it! :)

23. X2 - Seriously!

24. jick

jick
    from london

hey dude....with me being me i'll probably change my mind a dozen times before i finish the car, so we'll see what happens...
    the Chrysler Airflow suggestion is a good one..... although i dont fancy my chances of finding a pair at a price that i can afford!
    jick

25. ImageUploadedByTJJ1352672056.339998.jpg

26. weez

weez

As for mufflers on early customs, the Albert Drake books address this pretty thoroughly, but I think it would be a pretty regional thing.

27. Janne

Janne

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  28. thinkfink

thinkfink

29. Keith, which books? Do you have a title?

30. This 4 door looks fuc#ing GREAT !!!!!!!!! Wow !