Register now to get rid of these ads!

Home painters - primer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 34 Hound, Nov 10, 2012.

1. 34 Hound

34 Hound

Gotta get up to speed, I'm an old school nitro lacquer guy but haven't sprayed a car in 25 years.

I have very little experience with the new urethane/epoxy products. I'm looking for a good bare metal primer, perhaps high-build for finish sanding????

Any good sites to walk a guy through to the other site of the forest?

Thanks.

2. Check out Southern Polyurethanes website, good info and good stuff.

3. 34 Hound

34 Hound

4. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Metal and filler work 1st. Well etched metal with a metal prep rinsed and blown dry, should look "bluish-gold" when done. Follow with 1-2 nice coats of epoxy primer and allow to flash for 45-60min depending on conditions. Follow up with a good 2K type of primer, sometimes adding 15-20% reducer for a nice smooth finish. Kinda the same as the lacquer days with the exception of epoxy instead of the old zinc-chromate. Some 2Ks are just fine over well etched steel. The epoxy is more of an additional corrosion inhibitor and good for old metal, like what most of us are screwin around with. Good luck, from another old lacquer guy...

5. 34 Hound

34 Hound

Zinc-chromate.... ah, what a lovely shade of punch-in-the-eyes green.

6. u-pol...have had great results...dtm primer...direct to metal high build...easy sanding..tintable..

7. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

PPG D822 / 823 primer/cat. amazing product that is a hybrid epoxy with direct to metal capabilities. good build. i also like dp primer topped with k-38 primer.

my 2cents

8. philly the greek

philly the greek
    from so . cal.

I've had very good results for several years using Valspars' Direct to Metal primer . It has good build properties , sands easily and does'nt shrink back. Good luck.

9. i've always used 5-star extreme direct to metal 2k primer. you can mix it in 3 ratios depending on needs.
    good build and coverage, sands pretty good too.
    i've never had a bad experience with it here in southern california.

10. ETwagon

ETwagon
    from Arizona

I'd second that with U-POL 2k primer. Not a bad price range for today's material costs.

11. The Hank

The Hank
    from CO

TPCglobal.com

12. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

I don't see the most important bit of info about shooting todays stuff... A DAMN good respirator! Not kidding at all, the little 3M dust masks that we all wore out in the driveway shooting lacquer will kill you with the new stuff. The first couple of times I shot the new stuff I thought "hell, I'm out in the driveway, just a dust mask will do fine". Now I have an allergy to urathanes the puts me down for a week if some one opens some within ten feet of me. Careful!

13. Dave Zapatka

Dave Zapatka

Roger That !!!!!!

14. JD Miller

JD Miller

Damn right. All this new bullshit "enviromental" paint will kill you faster. 25+ years ago a kid that had a shop next to mine was coughing up blood after spraying emeron outside with out a mask

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  15. indigenous

indigenous

i am using nason 2k urethane primer over my vari prime it is a high build primer and sands real good in fact you can really get a aching back from sanding trust me

16. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Always makes me wonder how it can be better for the enviroment when it tries to kill the user....

17. dt50chev

dt50chev

Should be TCPglobal.com

18. Roadsire

Roadsire

My vote is on the Southern Polyurethane Ive used the epoxy primer and its good stuff good price and free shipping to boot

19. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

The old school acrylic primer is still available in good brands, PPG, Dupont, etc., if that's what you are comfortable with. Thin with lacquer thinner as thick or thin as you want, leave it in the gun and it won't set up, no hardener. Just like the days before the new normal. Let it dry thoroughly (as we used to do) and with a proper sealer you can use the new fangled paint over it. Or depending on your project, just complete it in lacquer as you used to do.