Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Modified Build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Beau, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Beau

Beau

I changed the 'S' today. A bit of C.A.D. (Cardboard Assisted Design) and cut it out using a reciprocating saw and a belt sander. It took a while, but I'm happy with how they turned out.

The photos are cell phone, and I aint got one of them smart things.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  2. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

they look great! that must have been a pain with a recip saw. especially the inside curves.

3. fitzee

fitzee

I try my best to stay clear of these builds!! Love and want to build one..have alot of the parts!! Just too many projects.lol love the build.got some cool ideas too.thanks

4. Beau

Beau

I use the saw for more things than most people. The key I think is proper blades, blade angle, clamping the part down tight and blade speed. The only tough part to cut are the areas where the cut is concave. I was able to do the entire job with one blade, and it's still good! I used to use cut off wheels but I just can't handle the dust and mess anymore.

Fitzee- I fell in love with Modified's before I knew what they were called! Less than a year ago I couldn't have told you the difference between a Model T and Model A either. They seem to be popular,yet I only see the same handful of cars around. The nice thing is that they all share the same basic features, but none of them are exactly alike. I think there is a little more freedom for creativity with these builds.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  5. Do you have any more details on this car?

[​IMG]

6. Hackerbilt

Hackerbilt

KNEW fitzee would be watching this build too! LoL :D

7. Beau

Beau

I have some info somewhere. It's pretty heavily modified and I think the build was actually in a car magazine. I'll dig around when I get home and see what I have stored away.

8. Beau

Beau

9. fitzee

fitzee

I'll build one when you do!! I got a few years yet!!!!

10. I like that new kick up sweep

11. Beau

Beau

Thanks man!

I have a few tricks up my sleeve. ;) My plan is to make it into a poor man's '32 frame. :D

12. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

Beau, your doing a wicked job so far. I just found the thread, haven't read it all yet. Question...where did you get your motor mounts from? I know you made the mounts, I'm talking the pucks.

13. Cool. I do think if I do another mod it would closer to yours than my current one

14. Beau

Beau

I bought them locally at a shop called Little Dearborn. They are stock replacements for 37-48 Ford. I think they were made by Vintiques, but I can't remember. I paid $40 for the pair. I have since read that there are some pucks that are better than others, but I have not looked into it much further. When I get closer to bolting the engine in for good I will have to look into it.

15. Cheers for the link to the '27 coupe/rod... Wonder what mag it was in?

I've been hacking my Modified about for years - fairly stubby 100" wheelbase. It's become quite an effective weapon on the corners at hillclimbs recently.

[​IMG]

16. Beau

Beau

Today I started on the rear cross member.

First I cut the two rear sections of the frame off. Then I drilled out the rivets and removed the remaining frame pieces. I placed the cross member in the frame just to have a look.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Not to bad. But since I'm using a '39 Ford front spring, I need my cross member to be almost flat.

So I leveled everything on the bench and tacked it down. Then I cut out the center section of the old cross member with plan to modify it and make it flat. That's when I noticed the two section of frame I had cut off. They were flat on one side and tapered on the other. I trimmed them up in the band saw and welded them together with the angled area facing in so it would clear the diff housing. I trimmed them up again on placed them inside the parts I welded down to the bench. I tacked it all together and cut it off the bench. It got late so I had to head home. But this is the start of the rear cross member.

[​IMG]

EDIT- Better photos-

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 25, 2012
  17. Beau

Beau

Um. Hmm.

I found a 26/27 turtle deck.

Should I?

18. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

YES! You can't go wrong with turtle decks!

19. Beau

Beau

I'd have to buy it in order to mock it up. The wheelbase would be quite a bit longer, too.

20. I guess that may be a problem

21. Beau

Beau

I decided to pass on the turtle deck.

But, I found a different nose on CL. It came with a new, aluminum radiator that will go to Alienbaby's build. The lady and I took a Sunday cruise and picked it up a couple hours North of here. It's a Brookville re-pop, so I won't feel as bad snipping a few sections out to make it fit.

[​IMG]

22. hillbilly4008

hillbilly4008
    from Rome NY

23. Beau

Beau

You said so...

I trimmed it up so I could get a little look at the new nose this evening. I think I like. I wasn't sure I would at first, but it was worth the money I think. I ended up with a fair price, so I'm happy.

[​IMG]

I also spent most of the evening finishing the F1 transmission mount. I welded it up, filled a few holes, and got it welded into place. I need to finish up the adapter plate to bolt the T-5 to the F1 tranny mount, then it'll be in there.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Holiday time....wooo whooooooooooooo

24. NortonG

NortonG
    Member Emeritus

That shell looks really good on there.

It's shaping up to be one hell of a fun little car!

25. Beau

Beau

Thanks Norton. I keep an eye on your build, and also Texas Speed's build. They are great motivators.

December first will mark 10 months into the project. It will also mark 10 months of non stop research, parts hunting and ignoring my girlfriend at night. :D Hopefully as the build goes on, the pictures will be more entertaining, and car will start to look like what I see in my head.

I know setting goals is a bad idea, but my goal is to have it at the 2013 Torque Fest show. That gives me about five months. With the car clubs help, I don't think it'll be a problem. We'll see!

26. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

Real cool build. Keep up the good work.

27. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

Thanks! Your car is coming along great. I wish there were deuce grilles on CraigsList around here.. It's all IROC parts and diesel truck junk. :rolleyes: I lucked out on that '34 front end though. There's still hope! :)

What radiator are you going to be running? Any trick plans for the grille or gonna pony up and buy a deuce grille for it?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

28. Beau

Beau

I'm not sure what radiator I'm going to use yet. I got one of the Champion radiators with shell and they look like a pretty decent aluminum radiator for the money.

I found a pretty good deal on a used re-pop grill. But, I have started gathering stuff to make my own as well. I'm going to file that with the Tech Week entries for now.

I also ran across this Weez print that he posted for his OZ show. My car won't be as low, but I like his rendering a lot. Since I plan to weld the door skins in, I thought the pipes would provide a reason for not having them! ;)

I have one more chance to have stuff chrome plated for free, so I need to figure out what I want to have done. Not nearly as much as his car though!

Attached Files:

29. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

What? Free chrome-plating? Blasphemy. Such a thing does not exist..

What's your address? I've got some stuff that could use some prettying.