Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Losthope's 1966 c10 low buck build!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by LostHope, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Bugsy

Bugsy
    from Kansas

Very cool! looks like you're getting some good hauls!!!!! The old girl is earning her keep!!!!

2. Desert_Rat

Desert_Rat

Awesome build thread!! Just read threw the hole thing & got some inspiration. Thanks for sharing!! I really like what ya did with the grill. Nice touch

~Dustin

1Nimrod likes this.
  3. LostHope

LostHope

Defiantly getting my moneys worth out of her! I have about 10 more pictures of hauling scrap in the back , but i saved that for the scrap metal forum to save everyone here from seeing updates on just junk in the back, I am in the process of building some removable side boards for this weekend since I have around 10-12 loads of metal to haul out of a barn and want to be able to load as much as possible.....but wont run the boards all the time only when needed!

Thanks Dustin i appreciate the feedback! if your interested I also got a low buck build thread on my 54 ford that you might like theres a link at the bottom of this post.

Heres the side boards as of now:
    [​IMG]

1Nimrod likes this.
  4. 63chevtaildragger

63chevtaildragger
    from california

with the c -notch, how high is the rear fenders off the ground when the truck is dumped? i am thinking of doing the c notch with baggs and was curious, because my 63 sb has cut rear springs and is about 13 inches off the ground.

1Nimrod likes this.
  5. LostHope

LostHope

with the truck dumped front and back the rear fenders are 6" off the ground...

1Nimrod likes this.
  6. Man I just read this whole thread last night/this morrning. I got to say its a damn cool truck.

7. demonspeed

demonspeed

That's a great truck. I'd love to have a c10 like that but I haven't found any good deals around here

8. 63chevtaildragger

63chevtaildragger
    from california

nice, style im going for my c10 is 50s taildragger

1Nimrod likes this.
  9. LostHope

LostHope

Just been busy with hauling metal and and going out of town for Thanks Giving but I did recently pick up a trailer and a tow hitch setup from a couple different friends for free! Trailer is needs some work and going to be used for scrap metal and hauling whatever I need it for , so Ill have a update hopefully with the way I mount the tow hitch behind the flip up license plate idea I have, and besides that I developed so noisy exhaust leaks and a sweating powersteering hose so today was just doing some maintenance on the truck:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1Nimrod likes this.
  10. Malarky

Malarky

Cool ass truck man! Me likey.

11. LostHope

LostHope

Thanks Guys I appreciate the compliments!

63chevytaildragger you should start a build thread.

1Nimrod likes this.
  12. rusty76

rusty76
    from Midway NC

Looking foward to the updates.!

13. Amniculi

Amniculi

I love this thread! I read the whole thing last night and now I'm excited to get started on my '66. Just need the money and the tools...

Attached Files:

1Nimrod likes this.
  14. Derek Mitchell

Derek Mitchell

Cool truck. And you use it as, get this, a truck!!!

15. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Will you explain the rear lower shock bracket...how did you do it and what shock did you use..thanks

1Nimrod likes this.
  16. LostHope

LostHope

Good looking truck! Glad you like my thread and thanks for taking the time to read it!

thats one of my favorite parts, decent to looks at but not scared to scratch it!LOL

this is only needed to be done on a 63-66 truck with the later style frame....the 60-62 x-frame already has them mounted rear of the rear end

They are the stock lower shock brackets i just reused them and made them relocate the shocks to the rear of the rearend , which in turn gave them better angle with the truck lowered and moved them out of the way of my bags .......they mount so the shocks forward of the rear end when stock but when you lower the truck in the rear you have to relocate the shocks because in the stock position they will be at to much of a angle to work, you unbolt and turn the brackets around so they point towards the rear and them swap them side to side, so the right bracket goes on the left trailing arm and the left goes on the right trailing arm, you have to drill a new hole in each one to make them cock towards the out side of the frame some more so the shock is positioned between the frame and trailing arm when mounted,if you dont drill the new holes itll position the shock right under the frame rail... I used "monroe monro-matic #32207" which is the same replacement shock for the front so all i have to do is order 4 front shocks when i need to replace my shocks...heres a picture you can see how i drilled a new hole in the lower brackets, the one on the left is stock and the one on the right is with the new hole drilled:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
    1Nimrod likes this.
  17. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

Thanks you made it easy....great build BTW

1Nimrod likes this.
  18. draggler

draggler

Way cool recyclin on all counts .
    Truck shaped up nicely btw,another bump for inspiration on scroungin and grouwngin on your build,,,,,,Looks good.

19. LostHope

LostHope

Glad I can help!

Thanks Draggler!

Its raining cats and dogs here, so i took a little ride to richies garage and after playing video games for a couple hours, hanging X-mas lights between a break in the storm, we got busy cutting down and rewelding the tow hitch to fit in between the frame rails so itll bolt in and be behind the license plate in the rear grill/roll pan:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

the new unit!:
    [​IMG]

Next up date should be with it bolted in and with a flip up license plate if theres ever a break in the rain thats supposed to last all week!

1Nimrod likes this.
  20. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

One more question....where did you find the upper shock bolts?

21. LostHope

LostHope

I just bought them in the "help" section at the local uto parts store, the isle that has all the small replacment parts.

1Nimrod likes this.
  22. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

FYI I just bought the shocks at NAPA and the bolts were included...thanks for your posting this build

23. oakmckinley

oakmckinley

Nice build. Shows that not alot of money is needed to make something look good!

24. Hey man, that's a cool truck. If I had read this thread before coming over to your place to buy the '54 dash the other day, I would have stayed longer to check out everything! My sister has a '71 F-100 longbed that I've been trying to buy from her for years...I really want a low-buck work truck like you have there. Keep up the good work (but don't forget about the '54)!

1Nimrod likes this.
  25. LostHope

LostHope

thanks!

Your always welcome to come back and hang out hope the dash works out and ill keep a eye out for those other parts you said you needed.

Thanks I appreciate it!

Still havent found the motivation between working out of town and the raining to install the tow hitch, but did get a clear day today! I sell alot of random items on ebay its one of my many part time jobs working for myself, and with some of the extra funds i accumulated in my paypal I decided since its my daily and always parked outside to install the car alarm i won for cheap on ebay, nothing fancy just a 1-way alarm to keep the honest people honest:
    [​IMG]

the install!:
    [​IMG]

modified a dash light socket o fit the red alarm light into the empty "tandum-lock" light hole in the gauge cluster:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Pretty stoked! was pretty easy to install! need to buy a couple more trigger switchs to set the alarm off, for the hood and pass. door , have it all wired in so the front and rear lights blink when armed and dis-armed, vibration modulate, starter solenoid cut out wired in, only thing i didnt hook up yet is the dome light circuit that flashes, think im going to hook it up to the interior dash/gauge lights instead because on these trucks the dome lights controlled by turning the headlight switch, and Id rather have all the gauge lights flashing instead of just the dome light!

1Nimrod likes this.
  26. n847

n847

Great idea! Sounds and looks like a nice clean install!

27. Tmaxinator

Tmaxinator

This is an amazing build. Just joined and have read the entire thread! Amazing use of resources and amazing creativity. Thanks for sharing!

1Nimrod likes this.
  28. LostHope

LostHope

Thanks guys!

yesterday i picked up a complete front cross member with the suspension:
    [​IMG]

first thing i did is tear it down going to keep all the brake parts,spindles, and upper control arms for spare parts...originally i was going to cup my front lower a-arms for my bags to set down in , thus lowering the truck in the front , but after looking at my truck and having a front sway bar installed i decided it would be better to step the control arms to get more clearence drop,so i started to cut up the donor lower control arms and preparing to do a 1 1/2" step up on the lower control arms to lower the front of the truck more...but instead of cutting and raising the ball joint portion up and welding them back on with support gussets like ive seen alot of guys do on the forum here, im going to take my existing lower control arms and weld the cut off parts of the donor control arms on top kinda like a raised ball joint stand ...hard to explain but will take photos of how i do it and update this thread....
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and then i got this crazy idea , that since i had a extra crossmember that i might as well pancake it a 1 1/2" and swap it in to lower the truck even more[​IMG] but i havent seen a step notch and pancake crossmember done one truck at the same time so well see how it goes...

going to do the step notch on the lower control arms first and drive it around see how i like it and if I feel that i want the truck lower ill pancake the crossmember....

1Nimrod likes this.
  29. slammed

slammed

30. LostHope

LostHope

1Nimrod likes this.