Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Is there a direct power steering replacement for 525?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by steel rebel, Nov 10, 2012.

1. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

I installed a Chevy 525 steering box in my 48 Plymouth when I built it. Now I would like to put power steering in it. I went to the junk yard and pulled a power steering box out of a 69 Nova. Looks the same and I think it will bolt in but it has a 13/16th steering shaft and an 1 1/4 in pitman shaft and the 525 has a 3/4 steering shaft and an 1 1/8 pitman shaft.
    I was wondering if there is a power steering box that I can just bolt on in place of the 525.
    Yes I know I can put rack and pinion easily on it but that is another post if I can't make this work out.
    Thanks Gary

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
  2. willymakeit

willymakeit

What did the original unit come out of? Seems GM had power/ non power for everything.
    I know it's not the quick answer but that is where I would start. Watch the ratios on the boxes also,

3. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Thanks but i don't know what it came out of it was a swap meet find. I was just hoping that maybe an earlier maybe smaller Chevy might have a smaller power steering unit than the one I took out of the '69 Nova.

4. ford6man27

ford6man27

The 525 box that I have came out of a Camaro. The 605 box is a direct replacement for it. They are found in a lot of GM cars even some Pontiac and Buicks. We use them on our dirt track cars. Just turn the pitman arm 180 degrees and they work great on 35 to 48 ford cross spring front ends that use cross stearing.

Andy

5. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Thanks Andy I'll keep my eye out for a 605. Hell I might put one in my 48 Ford too.

Gary

6. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Yes, as stated the 605 power box has the same mounting and shares the same pitman arm size as the 525manual box.

7. steel rebel

steel rebel
    Member Emeritus

Thanks guys I just googled Saganaw 605 and saw what a nice compact little power steering box it is. Just what I am looking for. Now does anybody want to buy a larger Nova box. Just kidding I'll take my loss.

Gary