Register now to get rid of these ads!

forgive my ignorance CARSON tops...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JTW, Nov 9, 2012.

1. JTW

JTW

O so I picked up a 2dr 54 Ford crestline, extremely straight and rust free car. It runs like a top. However someone decided to make a convertable out of it before I got it. SO.... I have decided to do a carson top. It was either that or single old school roll bar and a snap cover trying for a 50's dirt track thing...

Couple of questions.

1. Do carson tops have roll up door windows? HOW?

2. BIGGY... How do you add support to the quarters so they quite flexing when you simply close a door, or drive on the street.

3. Do I need to smooth out the tops of the doors top close up the windows?

Sorry but I have mostly owned Model As so this is new to me.

OR

Does anyone have a top they cut off that I can use for a chop.....HA..:)

2. F&J

F&J

Take a look at the shoebox converted by "yaril" on hamb. His name was changed from tyler- something? Well, maybe you can find it, lots of good info.

3. F&J

F&J

4. This is one of my Pet Peves, things that never were to start with, but I'm trying to adapt. In the 40's-50's True Carson tops were only done to Rag tops. You didn't need to "add support" to make it work. All factory Convertable's had roll up windows to start with, only Roadsters didn't have side windows. Ford Converts had a X member frame that added the support needed, also a seat riser at the rear seat leading edge added B post support. Best of luck with your project and I hope you find a Steel Top to repair your strait rust free "Sedan" with. Most good Counterfits are pulled off using Victoria's that are 2 door hardtops. Makes things a little easier. What ever you end up doing I'll accept as your version and the fact your saving a good car that had a bad brake.
    The Wizzard

5. i agree with what has been posted.yarils car is rad and he made alot of effort to do it correct. my car is a a hardtop so no x-frame but added support under the rear seat. i would think if you made a body brace that ran under the back seat you would be ahead of the game. also do a shit ton of research on carson tops.done correct it should have side glass and look good. done wrong it will look like shit. maybe find convert or hardtop doors that would help for sure.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't even know if it's possible to put hardtop doors on it but that would be one way to fix part of the problem.

Instead of a true carson style top you might weld up a framework that has the same shape but is welded solid on the body so it puts some of the strength of the roof back in it. Then have it covered to appear that it is a Carson style top. ` `

7. jcmarz

jcmarz
    from Chino, Ca

There was once a really good article on the history of the Carson top in a old R&C issue and how Glen Houser started build the tops and the construction process. I held onto the magazine for a long time but I don't know what happened to it, but I sure wish I still had it.

8. TexasSpeed

TexasSpeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Texas

I know that car you're referring to.. Not to mention, we just texted about it.

I forgot to mention before letting you go, that you could take a roof from another car and with some work, make a nice custom out of it. There was a T-bird with a Starliner roof grafted onto it on here somewhere. Blue, WWWs, wire wheels. I don't have a picture of it handy.

Just another idea if you decide a Carson top isn't what you want.

9. JTW

JTW

I actually have access to the full X frame doors, top bows, and cowl section from a 54 Vert. I just didnt know if I could convert using them.

10. JTW

JTW

Shoot yes, I am going to hit up Bob on Monday. Its best to go back with a standart top, just makes me mad someone did this to this little car. Im kida leaning away from it, I am afraid it will come out looking like a monkey built it! I cant do something non traditional to this little gem, it just had a bad break. Starting to think the late 50s early sixties single roll bar snap tourney cover thing may be the way to go... but that not exactly traditional either... sigh, but its closer.

11. Torchie

Torchie

Not all Carson topped cars were convertibles to start with. look at some of the original ones. Some of them were 2 dr sedans with the tops cut off as well as 4dr sedans with the tops cut off.The door windows can be an issue if you don't have hard top doors but I am sure you could figure a way around that. Google carson tops and you will find some interesting stuff. There are a few techs on how to make one.

12. JTW

JTW

That is not a bad idea, I can find the doors with the window lines in place a lot easier.

13. Here is mine first one I ever did made out of conduct not pretty but functional top was wacked off by previous owner

Attached Files:

14. Asphalt Outlaw Hero

Asphalt Outlaw Hero
    from Dixie

Typically, I always thought guys use to do it instead of fixing the convertible top. My 49 had its top attacked by a critter in 52 and the PO built this top for it. If you are cutting down a coupe or sedan you HAVE to reinforce the frame or one day your frame will sag and the doors won't open (or won't shut).
    This is a traditional Carson .
    [​IMG]

15. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Do a long search here on Carson Top - lots of info posted. no matter which way you decide to go the windshield has to be shorter. sink it into cowl, or carefully cut it - again, do a search on these ideas, lots of info here. take your time up front and have less problems later.

16. Here's a thought. Being you know of a 54 Vert parts car what about using what you have and actually rebuild what's left of the Vert? Then do a Carson Top on it.
    The Wizzard

17. JTW

JTW

That was my first choice, but according to other sources its almost impossible with this body style to swap... Doors are big difference and such, however I can use the frame, and cowl.

I dont know, I got a ton of usefull info here, but I dont want thin thing to look like monkeys built the top either.

18. I understand. Getting good lines from a Coupe or Sedan is tough to do being the panel from trunk lid to back window is so different from them and a Vert body. My other big complaint is the Vent window to top. I have yet to see that done well starting with a closed car door.
    The Wizzard