Register now to get rid of these ads!

sectioning a hudson info needed

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by edweird, Nov 7, 2012.

1. edweird

edweird

i will be aquiring a 48 hudson coupe. any info on sectioning one of these.the car is kindof rough, so i figgered i would just dive right in and start cutting. i even thought about splitting down the middle into 2 halves and then painting the fabulous hudson hornet and no. on the sides as yard art. no i wont do that,but i would consider sectioning it, i.d like to see some examples.

2. edweird

edweird

3. 'Mo

'Mo

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  4. edweird

edweird

5. I´d maybe try to do a taper section, to get the top of the body to run parallel to that swage line along the side.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. If you could email me some pics of car= side and frt and rear views....even inside of doors and cowl sides and firewall....
    I will look em over and give you a recommended attack plan[no cost].....
    [email protected]

7. edweird

edweird

thats cool. i like that idea.and thanks you make that look easy.

8. edweird

edweird

i havnt got the car yet. maybe tomorrow. i will def. get you some pics. and thanks

9. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

[​IMG]

I think slanted posts would flow better.

10. barney rubble

barney rubble

Slanted post for sure.

11. Definitely.

12. plywude

plywude
    Member Emeritus
    from manteca ca

James.. don't you think that the front bumper needs to be dropped about 2-3" it just looks to high to me and doesn't flow with the other changes

13. edweird

edweird

stop that! i got to finish my stude first. damn i like that, gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

14. edweird

edweird

damn i cant quit lookin at it. now see what youve done.lol thats a bad sumbich!

15. Stevie Nash

Stevie Nash

Take him up on this. Kenny is the best!

Stevie

16. edweird

edweird

from what you did photoshopped, can you draw out cut lines? looks like it would be below the key hole.

17. edweird

edweird

i will. all this is over welming me.

18. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

^^ JamesDs the only one who would know what the body chop was, maybe pm him.

19. It´s not sectioned at all at the front - I just cut it above the swage line and tipped it back until the body matched that line on the side of the car. So although it was below the keyhole, knowing that may not be any help in reality.

Look at the fuel filler flap and you´ll get an idea how much it is at the back.

Wish I´d bothered to chop it now, Jynxs PS job looks really good.

20. edweird

edweird

Looks like the cut line goes right through the gas door to nothing at the very front.. Am i right ?

21. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey Ed,

I don't have any peekchures of chopped or sectioned Hudsons, but if I were gonna cut into one, especially a rusty one, i'd plan on goin heavy on the bracing PRIOR to any cut bein made:eek: The "Step-Down" Hudsons built after 1948 were all unitbody construction, unlike your Stude. Without a conventional frame underneith, things can get real wonkie, especially those rusted box sections that act as a frame, if not well braced.

Always keep an eye out for torsional and compressive forces & areas under tension when planning your cuts;) If things do get outa wack alignment wise, they can usually be moved around with a come-a -long, pogo stick or 4 ton porta-power without much trouble.

A good plan, and lotsa well layed out bracing make a section job much closer to possible:D

" A government by the people, for the people " my ass !

22. edweird

edweird

23. Crankhole

Crankhole

Lengthening the door would help a bit.

24. edweird

edweird

you chopped it also, right?

25. 46binder

46binder
    from Kenosha,Wi

I have a build thread of a Dodge Wayfarer I have. Chopped and sectioned, lots of pics will give you an idea. I also did a tech thread on sectioning a door. Its not a Hudson but hope it helps.

26. edweird

edweird

got a link?

27. 46binder

46binder
    from Kenosha,Wi

28. mrjynx

mrjynx
    BANNED

YUP but dont ask for any measurements or cut lines cos doesnt quite work the same way in photoshop as it would irl.

29. The two cars that Mo posted are the only two I've seen done well, and they were both cut in the same spot, where the body meets the rockers (at the bottom edge of the door).

Note that the Red and White car is owned by a guy here in WA, and I have been able to smoke it over pretty well. It was section years ago, and is finished quite nicely. Also, check out the hood. The car has the Twin H engine, and the hood has a blister added to clear the air cleaners.

Night Train was at GNRS a couple of years ago...and totally rules.

If you do wind up sectioning the car, and decide to chop it too, go easy on the chop, with 2-3 inches of vertical drop at the most.
    Mike from Florida has a beautiful chopped coupe. Check his thread out (search "what I did on thanksgiving" here on the HAMB).

I had toyed with sectioning my Hudson 2 inches just before I painted it....Sometimes I wish I had.

30. edweird

edweird

no i dont think so,