Register now to get rid of these ads!

53-56 f100 frame help!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dumptruck88, Nov 8, 2012.

1. dumptruck88

dumptruck88
    from lakewood

Hey im new to the HAMB and had a few questions regarding the 53-56 f100 frame. I have a 55 f100 that is my daily driver with a I6 223. I want to put in a 351C. Im thinking about purchasing another frame and getting that all set up with an ifs and discbrakes and installing the 351C into that frame and when its all ready just switching the cab over. Will my 55 f100 cab fit onto the 53-56 frame?? and do i need to box the frame at all for the 351C?? Plz help!!!

2. Jim Dieter

Jim Dieter
    from Joliet

I have juggled frames on 53 to 55 with no problems except fot the panel frame that has an extension on the rear. And I would box, my caddy twisted the rails. I know the 351 isnt quite as heavy, but I think it would be safer.

3. Had to put a '53 cab on a '55,,no problems,,,

4. carlos

carlos
    from ohio

Had a bunch of f-100 2-56 53 55 had a 429cj motor in a 56 and they are some heavy motors no problem and a 53 with a 409 chevy

5. Larry T

Larry T

Don't cut out the crossmember that runs between the front cab mounts (under the transmission) and it should be ok.

6. RHOPPER

RHOPPER

It seems to me that working with the frame you've got would be easier than swapping all the sheet metal over. If you MII it, the motor mounts will be on the crossmember anyway. Remove the front sheet metal. Pull the motor, install the crossmember and suspension, install the motor and tranny. Remount the front sheet metal and it's a driver again.

7. Tom Thomas

Tom Thomas
    from Nebraska

Another opinion: If your 55 is your daily driver than I would go with your idea of building another frame. That approach will give you time to really detail the entire frame, etc. and in the end you will be glad you did.

8. dumptruck88

dumptruck88
    from lakewood

Awesome..Thank you all for the help!! Now to just find a frame haha.

9. dumptruck88

dumptruck88
    from lakewood

and say i find a frame with no paper work or anything, will a bill of sale be good enough??? or is there another way to make everything "legal"

10. damagedduck

damagedduck
    from Greeley Co

Wher you at? Lakewood? your cab should be titled--chuck

11. dumptruck88

dumptruck88
    from lakewood

i was under the impression that the cab and frame had to have matching numbers or else you have to file paperwork with chp or dmv...idk i just want everything to be legal

12. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

Your '55 frame has numbers that now match your title:) If you swap a frame you'll be lookin at an assigned vin # in the state of California:eek:

" A government by the people, for the people " my ass !

13. Brentdlots

Brentdlots
    from California

Yes the VIN number is stamped on the frame (usually in more than one place) and there should be a VIN plate on the inside of the glove box door. To be perfectly legal the numbers need to match, but consider what happens when someone welds a IFS front clip onto the rear of the original frame - All the numbers in front of the firewall are lost. When I do that I make sure and obliterate the numbers on the original peice before I scrap it so someone doesn't end up using my VIN number. Some folks might be tempted to change the numbers on a "new" frame to match the "old" frame and I'm sure that happens a lot but I suppose it could get you in trouble. I would check with your local DMV; there might be a way to use a different frame without having to give up your current VIN number but more than likely as pimpin paint says you will end up with an assigned number and a new VIN tag.

14. When I frame clip a truck I cut out the rectanglar section containing the VIN and weld it to the newly grafted section. OldWolf

15. OneBad56

OneBad56

And your 351 will need a rear sump pan too.

You may have to modify the cross-menber slightly for oil pan clearance.

I boxed mine to the firewall only.

16. willymakeit

willymakeit

Check behind the spring frame mounts. They sometimes rust thru the frame at this point,esp the front mount of the rear springs. If I remember correctly the 53/54 have different spring length than the 55/56.