Register now to get rid of these ads!

Flathead Carburation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by qmdv, Nov 7, 2012.

1. I am building a 59A with 283 cu in. about 10 to 1 comp ratio. If you had your choice what would you do:

1 two 97's
    2 two 48's
    3 three 97's
    4 three 81's

I have an Offy 2 carb maniford and a Navarro 3 carb manifold. Have lots of 97's one 48 and no 81's

My instinct tells me two 97's but that Navarro looks so good. Loved Barney's work

Tim

Tim

2. Andy

Andy

Get a 54 Buick 4BBL WCFB. They don't flood or leak and run really strong. They have the velocity secondaries so they don't bog. One of my happiest days was when the 4 BBL went on and the 97's came off.

3. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Navarro triple is arguably the best out there, and works great running 3 97s with straight linkage. :D

4. Tim how well does the engine breath, it has increased inches and compression but how much are will it draw. Has the block been relieved, monster cam shaft?

I like the idea of 3 '97s myself, but most flatties will not use them. Your carburation is based on the ability to draw air, if your engine does not take a deep breath it will not need or be able to use very many cubic feet per minute.

5. Ole don

Ole don

I ran a 286 with three 97's on progressive. It had Offy heads and a 400Jr in a light car. It was a delight to drive.

6. There Ol Don has used them progressive and it worked for him. He also used a non op cam and better heads.

I am a big proponent of progressive linkage when useing more than one carb unless you are all out racing with a monster engine under the carbs. Most engines don't want all that air all at once.

7. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

I am planning a three 97's equipped Navarro on mine for next year.
    Planning on a progressive linkage. Should I go straight instead?
    Thought about the gas speed when using straight linkage in low to mid speeding.

Had a Thickstun PM7 with two 97's before, but it is way too small.

The engine is a 296" (3 3/8x4 1/8), relieved and ported with 1,6 intake valves, 400 jr cam.

The car is a 28 roadster on -32 chassie. Light car.

8. V8 Bob

V8 Bob
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

The Navarro tripple was more of a racing design (no exhaust crossover) and works very well with straight linkage on a built street engine. Mine is only 286", but was built by MCF with Mark's port/relief and 290 dur. cam.
    I at first thought about using progressive linkage, ('cause many said I had to) but was assured I would like straight better, and Mark was right. Around town miliage on my avatar varies from about 8-14, but highway cruising is always 19-20 mpg, in OD @ 2000-2200 rpm, along with crisp throttle response.
    I would at least first try straight linkage, as you can always change to progressive, BTMO. :)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  9. It is 3 3/8 x 4 (286) with Offy 400 heads, ported and relieved with a no name 3/4 cam that was in the engine when I got it. When I first took apart in 1976 I had Kong looked it over, he ran a dial indicator on the cam and said it looked like a Winfield and said to run it.

Maybe I will go with V8 Bob

tim

10. smitty city

smitty city

i agree with v8 bob, straight linkage, works good on my engine. get with uncle max on here about jets and power valves, i followed his advise and the engine runs great.

11. moonlight graham

moonlight graham
    from wyo

Hot Rod Magazine has a really good intake comparison this month. Hart to imagine better timing than that.

Geoffrey

12. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

I run 3 97's with prog linkage, and Navarro heads.

13. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

I have a 304 ci engine and use 3x97s on straight linkage with a isky 404A (265 dur.)
    Cam

I would try two 48s or three 97s on straight linkage

14. J.B.

J.B.
    from Sweden

Any chance on scanning it?

I don't have it in my local shop over here for a while.

15. no55mad

no55mad

Anyone have any thoughts on jetting (what # size jets) for 2 97's on a 59ab? Basically stock engine except for a .030 overbore.

16. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Back in the 60s I ran 3 94s on a 296CID flattie on progressive got GREAT milage around town. For a thrill I would sometimes hook it up on straight linkage ,WOW talk about throttle response !

17. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

I agree with the above posts...3 carbs, use progressive linkage....2 carbs, run straight linkage.

I'm assuming this is a street machine ?

4TTRUK