Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anyone have a hallock windshield frame?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by nick_c, Nov 2, 2012.

1. nick_c

nick_c
    from texas

I have a rough casting and need to know How deep and wide the groove for the glass needs to be milled out. I've seen a few threads on how to Assemble them but could not find them with the serch engine. Just would also like to see how other folks put them together.
    Anyone have a link?

2. nick_c

nick_c
    from texas

Any one have a hallock and a set of calipers?

3. bob giles

bob giles

Do a search for Steve Sellers. He re-pops them and can answer your questions and also has the rubber.

4. I believe Steve is no longer making them, although he might have a few still in stock.
    Hit up his Facebook page (Sellers Equipped) and send him a message. Not sure whether he's ready to give out measurements. Good luck.

5. Murocmaru

Murocmaru
    from Van Nuys

I have a boat windshield at home. It's probably a similar measurement. I'll check it out when I get off work if you havent heard by then

6. nick_c

nick_c
    from texas

Yea I have tried that. I got the raw frame from Steve and he's out of buissness. I've Got to figure out how to do it in my own.

7. sideshowrob

sideshowrob
    from australia

ive got one of steve's, i'm not near the car for a week or two, if you can wait till then then i can give you any info/photos you may need, send me a pm if you get stuck. rob

8. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

I've got a Hallock w/s frame from Steve Sellers that I have yet to install. Luckily the window groove is already cut in. The measurements are a .375" (3/8") wide groove by .390" deep. The .390" deep groove does vary a bit but I'm sure machining around the contour you would expect that.

9. nick_c

nick_c
    from texas

Is there rubber that is samwiched with the glass and the frame or is the glass just glued in the frame?

10. Kirk Hanning

Kirk Hanning

it never came with instructions but I would assume you'd get U-shaped rubber to sandwich in the channel with the glass. I have never seen 3/8" wide glass (well yes I have seeing that I'm near both Detroit & Flint, MI). Not only that but the rubber would provide a cushion for the glass as it'd crack for sure against a vibrating aluminum frame.

11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Save your time and don't contact Sellers. I believe he has gone out of business anyway.

I contacted him about a Y Block valley pan and was treated to a variety of psychotic responses when I mentioned the Hamb. :D

He offered first to sell me one, then said the wait would be about 6 weeks, then basically told me he was closing the shop down.

Based on the rambling nature of his responses to me ( He was all over the map and didn't even seem to remember previous correspondence over the course of just a few days ) I'd say he has some other issues.

12. nick_c

nick_c
    from texas

I wrote him tons on emails after he had for my money with no response and finally only got a reply with a hand written letter.

13. nick_c

nick_c
    from texas

So this is about right. One guy gets the rubber for the window channel. One guy did not.
    And mine is a rough casting and I have to fill in all the blanks.
    Where can I get the rubber? I'm guessing it's about the same as any per war ford?

14. George G

George G

I have a bronze cast hallock that I have yet to work on. Milling out a groove sounds like it it will be nothing but heartbreak.

Why not just glue the glass into the ungrooved frame?

It's not going anywhere.

15. alchemy

alchemy

How would you do that? Show me a sketch or something please.

16. nick_c

nick_c
    from texas

There is nothing to attach the glass to.
    Anyone have an idea on the rubber?

17. AREA51SD

AREA51SD

Steel Rubber has one that fits a 3/8" groove, but the glass will be 1/4" thick.
    the part # 70-2642-57 buy it by the foot. they are located in Denver, NC (800)230-5871.

PB

18. George G

George G

Simply cut the glass so it fits in the frame's flat surface with no pinch points. Not an interference fit. Then lay in a fillet of caulking material, let it cure then turn the windshield over and repeat.

Yes it will work. No you won't die from lack of a groove

19. My windshield glass was put into mine using black urethane in a caulking gun. Fill channel with it. Set glass. Wipe of excess. Let dry and clean up with with a razor blade. Bam! Done.

20. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

True, but you might die from catching a windshield in the face?

I would equate this to: "The fall won't kill you... it's the sudden stop at the end."

21. alchemy

alchemy

Yep. I'd sure like to be assured there's some mechanical force holding the glass (edges of the groove) rather than just some glue.

22. alchemy

alchemy

This is a great method. That stuff will fill the void and solidify like a molded gasket. But a good thing to do before you spread the goop is dry fit the glass to make sure there will be no edges touching the metal frame at all. And before you place the glass and goop, cut some small little spacers of rubber (innertube maybe) to separate the glass from the frame at the tight spots. Then fill the void. If you trim the spacers small enough they won't show.

23. NOTCH

NOTCH

I have a good friend that supplied steve with the rubber and its from a Vw bus window
    He manufactures front safaris windows and I belive he purchases the rubber in a large roll, not sure where he gets it but I can contact him.. Me and steve were good friends at ONE time. bummer..
    and If anybody is interested in a dash rail to fit for the hallock, let me know , I have one for sale.Notch

24. bob giles

bob giles

Steve Sellers made frames with two sizes of groove. I contacted him 2 years ago and he recommended using the rubber that he had for sale. He sent me the rubber but it got lost in the groove. Thats when he remembered that they were made with diferent size grooves.
    I had a regular glass guy cut and install my glass. He recommended using clear silicon and gluing them in. He thought if they ever broke, ureathene would be dificult to clean out. Mine are two years old with no problems

Attached Files:

25. nick_c

nick_c
    from texas

Your frame looks super clean installed.
    Is there something in between the frame and the cowl top?

26. bob giles

bob giles

Nick c, I glued 1/4X1/4 angle rubber around the base of the frame

27. NoLifeTilLeather

NoLifeTilLeather

Nick, if you decide not to go through with the HAllock for some reason, lemme know - I'll buy it off you! :) Havent been able to get in touch with Steve...

28. nick_c

nick_c
    from texas

Yep he's out of business.

29. deto

deto

Not trying to hijack the thread but what happened to Steve?

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

30. nick_c

nick_c
    from texas

I'm not sure.
    But I was wondering my self