Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects '56 Cadillac build - Undoing the sins of my youth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by randy, May 15, 2012.

1. treb11

treb11
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do the A-arm bolts slide for alignment purposes? If so, how are you going to align it if the bracket won't allow movement? Not trying to be critical, just asking / pointing out.

2. Wow killer thread... I can't believe what that car looked like when you got it! and 2500 in 97 was a smoking deal. Good luck with it. I can't wait to see your progress

3. randy

randy

Once mounted there is no movement in that shaft nor is there any adjustment fore/aft designed into it. The studs that the M/C bracket is mounted to are the same studs the original was mounted on. In fact, the lower section of my bracket is an original '56 Cad MC bracket.

It is a weird way to mount an M/C, but there is no room on the firewall once the enormous air vent things bolt up. It's why GM put one there in the first place... Good eye though.

-r

4. randy

randy

Got my brake lines finished up with residual pressure valves installed. Now I need to modify the pedal linkage to work with the new M/C & I should have brakes.

Reshaped and filled holes in the ugly, stock alternator bracket and painted it along with the other brackets for the motor.

[​IMG]

It's been raining for a week straight. My rickety garage has 8 substantial leaks in the roof and a resulting lake on the floor. Nothing like putting a tarp on your car and tools INSIDE a garage.

Also got my driveshaft cut.

Those damned Mayans better not be right. There is no WAY i can finish this car by the end of 2012;)

5. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

Not to worry...I did some research on the Mayan culture for a story I'm writing...I found a detailed history from the Maya and a book they titled the “Peopol Vuhn.” This states that at the end of the Ba'kt'une calendar (cycle) “there will occur a blackness (or spectacle), and the god of the Nine will come down to the Earth.”

One of the God's of the Nine was a Mayan king named Ca-deil-u-lak, lived during the last Ba'kt'une (cycle) and declared that all those subjects that worship Ca-deil-u-lak will live on...they will have clear sailing on the highways, plenty of fuel and forever be watched over by him.

The major problem and the biggest threat to the earth in 2012 will be “the human race itself.” So, don't let anyone tell you the world is going to end and don't get deterred Randy, keep on buildin'...

R-

6. Just found this thread for the first time. Great job making it right...although you weren't far off to begin with, just inexperienced. I have one of those kinda deals sitting in my garage waiting it's turn. Started it at age 18, never finished it and drove the goof out of it. 25 years later it sits waiting to be redone "right" and finally finished. I suspect based on your progress, you will beat me done by a long shot. LOL

7. randy

randy

Wow. Sounds like you actually know some stuff about Mayans. I was mostly joking, although a friend of mine bought property recently from someone who "believed". The lady was selling a bunch of stuff to get a wad of cash to travel the world with before it ended in 2012.

I'm pretty sure the Mayan Gods will like my car when it's done. I mean, most Mexican dudes I know dig old rides...

8. 40StudeDude

40StudeDude

No, it's all BS...and I was joking...but I thot you'd get a kick out of it as a reason to not stop work on the Caddy...

R-

9. 62dartman

62dartman

^LOL!! I wonder how many people are googlin' the "Mayan king named Ca-deil-u-lak" right now. Good stuff right there!!

10. 62dartman

62dartman

Great car/thread by the way! Keep up the good work!

11. 50 chevy matt

50 chevy matt
    from UK

Sorry to say this, but i was in shock when i read the first few pages, that is my dream car and i would love a Caddy

great to see your sticking with it and keep up the good work, looking forward to seeing how she turns out

Matt

subscribed

12. 1951Streamliner

1951Streamliner
    from Reno, NV

"But...I don't want this car 90's low, I want it 50's low"

This is the best sentence I've ever seen on the internet.

Great build, cant wait to see it finished.

13. Lowrders

Lowrders
    from DUBUQUE IA

Looking really nice! I love the NO FINS look, It makes everything flow so well back there! Can't wait to see more progress!

14. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Glad to see you back at it Randy. Pretty good Mayan shit there, Roger! :D

15. mdmccool

mdmccool
    from NJ

Great work - it's threads like this that keep me motivated to work on my own projects. Subscribed!

16. HEAVY100

HEAVY100

Love the color you went with. Keep us posted.

17. Great build on the Cad!!

Good stuff there Roger!! Hey, have you ever thought about doing some writing???? Lol, if anyone is looking for some good reading, check out Roger's books!!

Bill

18. desotot

desotot

Great thread, I'll be following this one.

19. mika112

mika112

Great thread , I want to see more

20. dad-bud

dad-bud

Hi Randy,
    I've got a 60 Cad Coupe - mostly stock, but I love it how it is.
    First, I was really sad to see you'd taken a mint original car and 'woven some magic' on it.
    I get the whole 'it's your car' thing, and I know I don't have any right to criticise, so there is no 'but', but it did look so good (yeah, I understand the irony of saying there is no but and then using exactly that word - ah well).
    The work you're doing is coming along very nicely and this is a great build thread, so I will look forward to updates and applaud what you have done.
    The car looks good, keep up the good work and the posts - please.
    Cheers.

21. 50 chevy matt

50 chevy matt
    from UK

anything new happened on this yet ?

22. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

Nice build! I hope to get back at my '55 in the spring. Thanks for the motivation...

23. VintageConcepts

VintageConcepts

24. 50 chevy matt

50 chevy matt
    from UK

i need a 56 caddy in my life, think im going to get the chevy pickup done and sell it then buy a caddy for sure :)

25. davideli

davideli
    from EL CENTRO

what are u doing for steering, does the engine conversion change any of that?

26. Ester Eddie

Ester Eddie
    from Alaska

I hope that works out for you man..You won't regret it.:D

27. castleman1111

castleman1111

hey, i got a rusty 50 caddy 4 door 4sale!! complete car!!!! it's ruff, but, could be worked out... i got a 53 and a 50....i'm workin on the 53 and i won't have time 4 the 50...just sayin...:D

28. 50 chevy matt

50 chevy matt
    from UK

thanks Castleman but its got two doors two many lol
    would have to be a coupe if i got one but thanks anyways

Matt

29. castleman1111

castleman1111

hey!! no problem!! i have three two door hardtop pontiacs and since i've started workin on this 53 4 door it's really starting to grow on me!! seriously!! now it pisses me off to have to fight to get into the backseat for somethin in my hardtops!!!lol!! bo huff did a cool white 4 door merc!! more fun!! rod on!! }}}(A){{{:cool:

30. DRH

DRH

I would kill to start with a body that solid. Nothing you have done to the car has damaged it irreversibly, such as hacking up frame and suspension, setting it on fire or pushing it under a tree to rot. Decide what you want the car to look like finished. Go through and make a list of all the components, modifications, ideas, etc you would like. Once your happy, deviate as little as possible while working (there isn't one car on this forum that wasn't built 100% to plan). Your heart is good and you have the skill but it looks like you were wandering a bit without direction. I am younger than you at 28, but this is what works for me. Good luck great car.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app