Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs My 1950 Shoebox, unconventional build

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by swest8763, Apr 30, 2012.

1. manyolcars

manyolcars

Isnt it obvious that that those are trailer fenders???

2. DadsBlueFord

DadsBlueFord
    from Hayden, ID

Thanks. I guess if it were obvious to me, I wouldn't have asked. Some people here have sick metalworking talents, and I want to learn whatever I can.

3. swest8763

swest8763

Don't worry man...its all about learning. I have the equipment to do my own rolled fender wells...but for my plans, I'll be finishing them out with more flair, so it was quicker and cheaper to just buy them and work them the way I wanted.

The are from Tractor Supply Company, just a plain tandem axles fender, then cut in half. Cost me about $60, that gauge of metal and my time would have made it cost about $200.

Here is clearer picture with the fender off.
    [​IMG]

While we are on the subject of me being cheap and lazy!!!!

I also reworked the rear wheel wells a little better. Again, I could make this myself but with time & material its better for me to use what is already available. These are Tractor Supply Company, single wheel trailer fenders too. But considering they will be covered...I think they are pretty enough.

I was also working these while building the new backseat area with the extremely raised floor for the driveshaft.

Rear Wheel wells.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 12, 2012
  4. swest8763

swest8763

So to catch up with the build a little. I have done the following over the past few months.

Rear Roll pan...great piece from EMS, but remember my car has been completely cut into just exterior skins. So this really shows the quality of the EMS pan that it went in so easy.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I also worked on the rear driveshaft notch and mocked up the backseat. Now this is a stock Fairlane backseat that is 9" tall, I will be making my own out of 4" high density foam so the headroom is what I want it to be. But right now I can sit in the middle and my head just barely touches.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just finished the doorsill rebuild on the driver side. Someone originally added the EMS rockers...but screwed and welded it to rust!!! That just won't do so I cut everything out to reenforce with entirely too heavy of metal :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. swest8763

swest8763

Thats funny that I've posted a bunch of pictures but not really a good side of the roof. The only one was at a 3/4 angle. Most of the shots are like that because I have a "space" issue when taking pictures in the garage. So this post is just for Chop Shots... :) I hope you enjoy!

Louise from the Pass side
    [​IMG]

Louise on a field trip to my buddy's grand opening...this is the closest I've came to seeing her move other than when she rolled of the trailer the first time and the straps didn't stop her!
    [​IMG]

Earlier Driverside shot
    [​IMG]

Driver 3/4 shot
    [​IMG]

6. Kirby50

Kirby50
    from Suffolk Va

Man great work, big inspiration. You don't happen to have any pics of the core support attached to the s10 clip?

7. flamingokid

flamingokid

Need more pics....

8. Impressive, 'cept for the wheels of course. Ya got tons a talent!

9. sideweeler

sideweeler
    from searcy AR

are you going to make a rear glass? i'm pretty sure you cant cut tempered glass

10. Chrisco

Chrisco
    from Upstate NY

Looks like the deep end. Keeping an eye on this one.

11. suedestude

suedestude

I love the chop!!!! Cool as Hell.

12. the-rodster

the-rodster

Unconventional, yes.

But you're doing fine work, and it looks sweet.

Keep us posted.

Rich

13. I like the chop - shows there´s more than one way to skin a cat.

14. Frankie47

Frankie47
    from omaha ne.

post #58:)