Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

I look forward to seeing you.....especially at Winchester:eek:. I'll probably be at the IMIS show on Thurs. the 6th... maybe Fri, the 7th.

mac miller in INDY

2. exprezdan

exprezdan

Would it be possible to get a good, clear copy of the Buzz Gregory newspaper article? We were close friends until his passing on Sept 10, 1993. Dan [email protected]

3. Good to see you on here Dan. Been a long time! We sure had some good times in the WRA. You did a hell of a job as Prez! I remember the night down at El Cajon Dad let you drive his 93 Kurtis. You told him it wanted to push, and Dad said "it dosen't push if you put your foot in it and hang the ass end out"!

4. sideways27

sideways27

Thanks Mac for the stories and the history. They will be going into my history file for the Beck-Paul Mead sprint car. Im sure this is was the first sprint car that Glen Niebel was introduced to back in 1962. Paul Leffler also worked on this car doing the front end and reworking the rear torson bars and adding a 3" rear end.

5. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Well deserved praise indeed!

6. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Been a while since I've posted on here.

Have a lot of catching up to do, and a lot of pictures to post on current projects. I'll be out of town the next Two weeks, but when I get back.. I'll bring you all up to speed on what I've been working on.

Untill then,

Here are just some random pictures cause it's fun to look through the computer files here at Zakira's.

Enjoy.

------------------------------------------

Attached Files:

7. racer5c

racer5c

not a sprint car but I have to share a picture of my new race car

Attached Files:

8. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

Damn, That is a Nice looking 1/4 midget! Is it going to get the yellow #5 treatment?

9. racer5c

racer5c

nope, my dad built this in 1957 he owned Viking Craft, I'm gonna paint it like Danny's car

Attached Files:

10. One of the best paint jobe ever on a race car. I believe it was the same as the paint on your Dad's Indy roadster.

11. Blacki-Suede

Blacki-Suede

And with the "D" in the bumper - Right?

Blacki-Suede

12. OITSOG

OITSOG

I actually own the original Sales Contract for this car for when it went to Portland. I have the terms of the contract if he won and how to pay off the car with earnings etc. I have lots of pictures and misc to do with the Atlas Chrome Specials. Email me personally at [email protected] if anybody is interested.

13. OITSOG

OITSOG

I have some pictures of the frame up building and the engines that were on some of these Atlas Chrome Specials along with the original Atlas Chrome SPecial Truck pulling and Atlas Chrome Special on its trailer and some of the shop etc. Any interest email me at [email protected] or [email protected]

14. OITSOG

OITSOG

15. noresore

noresore
    from Peoria, AZ

The more I rack my mind for memories from that 1st race experience, it was Sept. 24, 1961 at Trenton Fairgrounds and Sachs led all 100 laps from the pole.
    They ran a 12-car, 20-lap consy which was won by Bill Cheesbourg. Jacobi ran 11th in the race. I wonder if that is where I saw the Stoye Spl. No other info other than last names of the finishing order is provided for that race.
    The car is not listed among those in the 100-miler that day.

16. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

According to Champ Car Stats, Jacobi was driving the Tassi Vatis Kurtis that day. There was a Stoye car in the Consi, driven by Vern Harriman but was a Kurtis Chassis. http://www.champcarstats.com/races/196110.htm

It appears the first apperance of the Stoye chassis was at Langhorne 63 with Jacobi driving but was a DNQ. http://www.champcarstats.com/chassis/stoye.htm

17. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

saw this on the Garage Tours part of the Blackie Gejeian Roast in Fresno

Attached Files:

18. Jim Nise

Jim Nise

I believe Johnny Coy was in the Stoye at Langhorne. June 1961

19. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

Still trying to hook up with spike Ruth....anyone help? Where is he from ? E- mail? Just have a friend that is interested in buying a car and Spike "he thinks" may know its history.."...thanks. :):)

20. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

His HAMB info says he's from Quakertown Pa. He had some health issues a couple of years back and his son posted here to tell us about it, so I assume he has people in that area. Hope he's o.k. BTW- I believe his real name is Jim.

21. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Prior to 1963 the Stoye car was a KK2000. At Langhorne 63 they brought out their own car, to less than stellar reviews. :eek:

Attached Files:

22. Denny Zimmerman

Denny Zimmerman

If we ask around at Stan's party, someone should know how to get in touch with Spike Ruth and I think Rootie is correct his name is Jim. I raced with him in URC but my old brain not good at remembering stuff. My Buzz Rose book would tell me but it's packed away for our move....were not going far just a mile down the road to a new house. Denny Z.

23. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

24. mud goodsleeve

mud goodsleeve
    from cincinnati

Here a cool one that Roy put up on facebook yesterday.

Attached Files:

25. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

Attached Files:

26. Cool pic, but that's Danny.

[​IMG]

27. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Some news from the Western Racing Association - WRA - who, along with several other of the Country's first generation vintage clubs have been struggling with an increasingly aged membership and vintage inventory. I think the decision to expand the scope of the Club has been a hard one but a wise one.

Here's a few pages from our most recent WRA Newsletter-courtesy of Laurence Deutsch, Editor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. racer5c

racer5c

yea Dean I posted it was Danny on my facebook page thats the car i'm looking for a color picture of

29. Roy, If you have a picture of your Dad's Indy roadster that Don Edmunds drove, it has the same paint job as Danny's midget. Maybe you can find a color picture of it.

30. paddybuilt

paddybuilt
    from SoCal

Smart move by Bob and the board if they want to keep club alive, I was a member since 1989, Would go to the Bunkerand Don's place with Punky Grosso, Roy Prosser, Swann, Larson, Fliesher and the rest, Cages went on cars in the late 60s, 45 years ago! Bob made the right move of option not mandatory. Car count will grow, i have not been a member of the WRA in recent years, Just sent in my membership even though I run with the Ledgends of Kearney Bowl Supermodified group. walt would rather see the cages than see the club fade away. on Saturdays wi