Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods One of the worst feelings in the world

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Model A Fan, Nov 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Model A Fan

Model A Fan

I have been emailing with a guy about buying a sweet Ford Falcon for a few days as I had to work today and was not able to check it out til tomorrow. Turns out the guy sold it today before I had a chance to look at it tomorrow.

That has to be one of the worst feelings ever. Something you're super stoked about getting sold to someone else because the guy is looking for a quick buck.

Profanity only begins to describe how I feel. :mad:

2. RICKY~RICARDO

RICKY~RICARDO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milwaukee

yup shit happens all the time.
    first come first served lol

3. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I always figure it just wasn't meant to be. I've lost a lot of deals too over the years, just part of playing in this hobby.

On the sellers side of the story, you can't blame him. The first guy to show up with money in hand has to get it. I have been a nice guy on numerous deals and held something for someone, only to have them not show up or change their mind, after I have lost other people who were interested. So now I tend to not be so trusting.

Another one will come along.

Don

4. RICKY~RICARDO

RICKY~RICARDO
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Milwaukee

Next time don't write so many love letters just go get it :).

5. kennkat

kennkat

Yea, I would hate losing out too, but CASH is king.... :) Still feel your pain though...:confused:

6. Beau

Beau

Exactly, Don.

When things are suppose to happen, They work out.

A "few days" is WAY to long when I want something. Unless it's a "few days" drive, I pony up and make shit happen.

Again if it doesn't work out, it wasn't meant to be.

7. Model A Fan

Model A Fan

Yeah, sucks having a job and being one of the employed people in this country for once...hah! I guess I should just line up for unemployement and fund my projects that way!

Anyway, I am already looking at others in California. Take my girlfriend on a flight down there for spring break and drive that sucker home over the course of a week. That would be a lot of fun I think.

And yes, I agree, cash is king, but I had called and emailed and gotten the address and a time pretty much scheduled with the guy's wife to look at it and test drive it. Can't get much more serious than that unless you're sitting there in the car.

8. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

He just had to protect himself and not miss out on a guy who was sticking money in his face at the moment.

A while ago I had a high end bicycle for sale ($ 1000 bike) and advertised it on CL. Guy called and said he wanted it for sure and would come the next afternoon. Then another guy called and said he wanted it, but I told him I promised it to the first guy. He said "You know that the only real sale is the guy who shows up first, what if he bombs out on you ?" I told him I would let him know if the deal fell through.

Next day the guy comes and he and his GF picked every little thing apart, even the presence of some grease on the sprockets ! I finally got fed up with their BS and told them it wasn't evidently for them. So they left. I called the second guy and he said "Oh man, I just bought another bike an hour ago, sorry.":(

So I learned my lesson and the next time I will go with the first one in my driveway with cash.

Don

9. For every ten assholes that waste my time. only one of them shows up to buy the car....I wouldn't waste my time waiting on you unless you gave me a deposit and we had settled on the price. He would be a fool to not sell the car when he had a buyer.

When you want something bad enough you do it. I once drove to Portland and back, ate dinner, then drove to Spokane and back because that's what had to happen to get what I wanted.

10. ArtGeco

ArtGeco
    from Miami

I see your sense of politics are as advanced as your business skills.

11. Model A Fan

Model A Fan

That was meant to be a sarcastic remark as everyone is saying I should have been there ASAP when I have spent the last three days at work... Its not really feasible when dealing with Seattle traffic and trying to get to work at 1PM. It is just not possible without a day off as I have spent 3.5 hours trying to get from Seattle to Olympia (about 60 miles).

I am not really one to quibble too much on a price, especially if I am needing a little leeway from the seller (waiting for me to get there on my day off). I guess maybe my business skills aren't that great as I haven't been doing this since the days of horse and buggy either, but I feel that if I were to show up after expressing the interest I did, cash in hand and gas money in my pocket, not much more is to be desired from a seller.

I understand the thing about the GF and the guy picking it apart. That had to be annoying to sit there after giving him the first go and being a nice guy. I turned down a buyer as I was waiting for "the guy first in line" to come look at a truck I had for sale. He sent his grandpa and dad and they picked it apart and then called him, couldn't get a hold of him and left town (unbeknownst to me until I receive an email days later explaining what they did. I knew they left when they didn't come back after a couple hours).

12. Never sit on the "pot"!

13. Its OK-this will pass & you'll be happy to know that in life there are things that you will go thru should you live it that are 47,000 times worse than this " worst feeling in the world" moment.

14. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

If you wanted the guy to hold it for you, you should have wired him a small deposit. Why do people expect sellers to wait on someone else to MAYBE actually show up? Talk is cheap. Where's that Craigslist thread that is filled with stories about this very issue?! As Tom Hanks said: "there is no crying in hot rodding".....or something like that. LoL.

15. EXracer64

EXracer64
    from nj

I can tell you having no power for over a week is much worse. Move on, there are more out there.

16. I sold a '67 T-bird interior last Sunday.
    One guy has called me 4 times, AND, his girlfriend called once, too. Haven't seen him yet.
    The buyer called once and took it.

17. Suck it up and move on,,you haven't lost anything Ford made Falcons from 1960 through 1970,,so there is still one out there with your name on it.

Remember,,if you snooze you loose! HRP

18. Now that is the absolute worse feeling in the world. You eat a really good supper then shit happens, closely followed by that pissy feeling you always get when you have had just enough beer to make you happy. ;)

Sorry you lost your falcon, maybe there is a Galaxie waiting in the wings. Or better yet a Studebaker.

19. Kentuckian

Kentuckian

Had a musclecar for sale that a guy was driving all the way down from up north to purchase. In the mean time two other people had called wanting to buy the car but I put them off waiting for the guy on the road. The guy from up north showed up and immediately started picking the car apart trying to get the price reduced. I told him the price was not negotiable and I had others wanting the car. When he said he did not believe me I picked up my garage phone and dialed up one of the other people. While I was talking to the other guy, the guy from up north said okay and he paid full cash price for the car. When someone starts pushing, push back.

20. When I did more dealing in cars than I do now, I took a roll of bills with me and never thought I had the deal until I pulled some off that roll and put the car on the trailer - I had a few misses, but mostly the cash talked and I got some great deals because I could get the car out of the guy's way right away. Chance favours the prepared.

Now if I could get the rest of my life sorted out that succinctly, I would be all set!

21. This thread is kind of trivial if you scroll up to the top of the forum and read about Dave's 32 coupe being stolen. HRP

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  22. If you tell me you are coming and set up a time I will honor that ....anyone else will fall in line behind you........if you do not show then next up......sure money talks but my word is more important to me........I have had deals fall through and lost the second or third party but then I say it was not meant to be on my end but at least I kept my word. It is just a personal thing for me. However each case may be different ....the seller may have had to have that money immediately and needed to sell quickly. Either way missed deals may lead to a better car down the road.....it seems in todays market there is always another cool car out there for sale each week. Good luck.

23. I have been sitting on a bike all summer because a friend wanted it and I turned down a cash buyer because he was my buddy. So here it sets and he is off hunting in the new tahoe he bought. Next time first man with the cash in hand goes home with the goods. life sucks if you let it

24. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

I second that motion. If this is one of the worst things that ever happened to him, he's had a charmed life.:)

25. Fenders

Fenders

Problem is, he really didn't know that he wanted it.
    He said "I had called and emailed and gotten the address and a time pretty much scheduled with the guy's wife to look at it and test drive it.

Look, test drive, second thoughts, dicker on price, blah blah....

26. Somebody sold a Falcon that fast? The last ones I sold the guy comes, takes some parts off one, and leaves them, in fact leaves the one with the good motor with the carb exposed to get rained in. Gee thanks. I'm sure you'll find another one if that's what you want.

27. I can only assume that there is no TV, Newspapers, or Radio in your state.

Tens of thousands of AMERICANS lost their homes just a few days ago, at least 110 lost their lives.

Heres another news flash, homeowners insurance does NOT cover flooding.

Tomorrow they will get hit with yet another storm.

I'm thinking of committing suicide, I stubbed my toe today.

28. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

If losing out on a car is one of the worst feelings in your world, you must have it pretty good. This probably wouldn't even make the top 50 if you really thought about it.

29. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

I KNOW an ole boy with a Galaxie......& i'll wait on ya.
    build a bridge & get over it . there are more then one.
    I just missed a '56 2dr ht chevy & thinking bout burning down the house.

30. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

So I just scored a jumbo deal on something Saturday. I told the seller that was my day, but I understood that Elvis is dead and cash is king. He said a guy was coming since last Tues and there always seemed to be a reason. I said I would call Sat, if he still had it, I only ask for the couple hrs drive for 1st look in light of anyone else with interest/closer/prior calls. I own the part. It wasn't hard to do. Make your move and communicate. You wouldn't believe how empowering it really is.

But I also agree with the trivial aspect of this. If that car was end-all do-all of something yeah. In all reality, every fuckin car on this board could vanish into thin air. Even the most revered and historic of those we love. Guess what, we'd still be living, eating, sleeping, working...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.