Register now to get rid of these ads!

58 chevy score!!!!! just gotta get her home!!!!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by old soul, Nov 5, 2012.

1. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

So heres the deal. My father inlaw has been looking for a old car for awhile now. So he finds this 58 chevy on your guys favorite auction site. So he calls me and tells me to bid on it for him. We one the bid. Him and my mother inlaw are super excited. The car is in Cincinnati,Ohio and we are in upstate NY. The car is alittle further in Ohio then we expected. No big deal.

We called the guy and told him we would be there sat morning to pick it up. We were thinking about renting a trailer from U-HAUL Friday night. Does any one see a problem with putting this old 58 chevy on a U-haul trailer???? Has any one ever used one for a big car like this???? Id hate to get there and the car not fit.

Also heres some pics of the ol girl. Let me know what you guys think.
    Or if any of you guys know the car. I might do a road report of the trip well were on the road for your guys entertainment and also incase we have any trouble. I will keep this thread updated untill we get her home.

Attached Files:

2. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

few more

Attached Files:

3. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

and some more

Attached Files:

4. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

couple more

Attached Files:

5. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

Double check the measurements on both. I had a guy buy a 62 galaxie ragtop from me that came with one to pick it up with a u-haul trailer, and found it wouldn't fit on there. They both should be easy enough to get the demensions on.

6. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

And finally

Attached Files:

7. U-haul usually goes overkill on their trailers so you shouldnt have a problem there .... just so it fits between the trailer fenders (58s are 80" wide) and it can handle 3500 pounds Tell the trailer folks what your hauling and makes sure its right for the car..... nice score

BTW sometimes it is cheaper to roundtrip the trailer than to go one way with uhaul.... check that out.

8. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Im sorry guys that the pics came out like crap and I double posted a few. But Atleast I had pics and didnt leave you hanging. You get the idea.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I don't see any problem getting it on a U haul trailer unless the lakers get in the way. I'd be prepared to pull them off just in case.
    Just make sure you have enough truck to pull it with that can handle the load.

That's a nice clean looking little 58 by the way.

10. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Yea sam thanks. Thats what I think were gonna do is round trip instead of tryen to fing a place when we get there and wasten more time.

11. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Guys im sorry I didnt mention we would be hauling it with a 06 f150 2 wheel drive single cab long bed. Shes got 6 lugs. So I think shes the heavier f150.

12. I pulled home a '56 2dr HT (115" wheel base) on a Uhaul trailer from Temecula, CA to Seattle,WA with an '01 Silverado 4x4 1/2T (5.3L engine). Seems to me you should have what you need.

13. Rearend gears make the biggest factor in pickup towing but seems any mid-sized v8 pickup would handle 5500 pounds (car and trailer) with no problem ... might be sketchy with a v-6

14. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

Why not drive it home? Done it alot of times. Drove my 54 Ford from Miami, drove a 58 Dodge from Memphis and a 59 Plymouth from Souix Falls..... all to the Cleveland area

15. Ford use the 6 lug as does Chevy now. Be sure you push the tow haul button to lock out the overdrive.

16. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Well it would be fun to drive it home. But I dont know how we would put it on the road sat morning. Plus it would cost double for gas on the way home.

17. If the car is considered safe/roadworthy, that's a better idea. Driving a car home vs. trailering it home, makes for a better story and memories.

18. old soul

old soul
    from oswego NY

Like I said its about a 9 hour drive. We really dont know this car to well anything could go wrong. Plus it only has a 2spd in it wouldent it be screaming goen down the highway for 8 hours.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  19. txturbo

txturbo

it will fit.....I can't imagine it won't. I've hauled several 66 Impalas and a 48 Chevy 1 ton long wheel base panel on u-haul trailers before. Now the car dollys are a different story. They aren't wide enough between the fenders unless you remove the front bumper.

20. Edsel58a

Edsel58a

Talk to the seller, you may be able to get a temp tag. Heck, one guy had me mail his plates back. The car was made to drive, even with the 2 speed. I trust my old cars on the road more than a newer one. Even with a problem, what could it be? Coil? points? out of gas? Not alot to go wrong on them, and all easy fixes.
    My 54 Ford, I got a Fla temp tag and hit the road. Before I left, I asked the seller how many miles he put on it. the answer was "Well, I drove it around the block a few times" This after owning for 3 or 4 years. Car was flawless all the way home.

As for gas, you are going to use alot more anyways, towing the car and trailer, and locking out overdrive.

And with having to drive to get it, you have a support vehicle, I have flown in, alone and drove home.

I stick with drive it...... enjoy it

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  21. yetiskustoms

yetiskustoms

Holy crap that Car looks clean! I love 58s, and Black too! Nice work

22. 59Apachegail

59Apachegail
    from New York

Great Score! very clean looking.

I tried towing a tractor with a 4.0 6 cyl ot truck. I wound up having to trailer both home.

23. Gman0046

Gman0046

Looks like a great car. I'm not a fan of Uhaul trailers. Read where when using one the trailered car sustained a lot of rock chips and dings. Why not get one of the Hamb car haulers to get it home? Some real good guys with lots of experience and positive recommendations. By the time you pay for gas and the Uhaul rental it won't be that much more expensive. If that won't work, I'd drive it home.

24. TexasDart

TexasDart

Fly up drive home.....glad I could help.

25. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

Drive it.Thats what it was made for.
    kool kar

26. 1954Bill

1954Bill
    from Long Beach

27. hotrodsnguns

hotrodsnguns
    from Fresno, CA

Just pack some tools and go drive it home.

28. 2 speeds still have the same final drive ratio as most 3 speeds and even most 4 speeds.

29. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

Congrats - nice ride. with the bad weather would be better to trailer. but, check with local rental yards that rent construction equipment. they might have a better trailer for a wide car. remember that you need to be able to open the door. also, put Ad in Classifieds Wanted section here for someone that does car hauling. might cost a little more but, less strain on your truck and using a trailer when you are not used to pulling one.

30. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I got a trailer from U-haul that was too small to haul an old car. So check to make sure it is big enough. If I did not have a trailer readily available, I would drive the car. Much more fun to drive than haul. The difference in gas isn't that much when figuring the pickup goes from 15 mph to 8 mph when you put the trailer behind.

Neal