Register now to get rid of these ads!

Testin White Wall Tire Paint

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by noxided, Aug 19, 2011.

1. av8

av8

This type of product was once common. In 1952 I wanted wide whites on my newly acquired '41 Plymouth sedan. I had a great 23-hour/week after-school job at a local drugstore and could have afforded a set of whites in a couple of months. My old man put the skids on that plan, pointing out that the car had a reasonably fresh set of Firestone blackwalls, then added that since the title and registration were in his name those black 'Stones were the tire of choice until they were worn out.

At the time, Firestone tire and product dealers stocked pint cans of white-wall repair "paint." It was probably very much like the product described in the ad. No matter, it attached itself to tire sidewall like it was vulcanized! The instructions on the can indicated it wanted to be flowed rather than brushed for best results, so the old man gave me a decent 2-inch enamel brush to get me started.

I removed the wheel/tire combo, one at a time, laid it on its back and thoroughly cleaned it with a new Brillo pad then rinsed it repeatedly with fresh water before permitting it to dry. This took about an hour for each wheel.

The next step was the critical one -- flowing the white 'paint' onto the tire. This was no big deal for a kid who'd grown up in an extended family of artisans; you learned essential skills from the time you could hold tools.
    With a cleaned and dry tire laid on its back it was a simple matter to flow the "paint" onto the horizontally positioned sidewall, starting each new brush-full forward of the last and then blending it into the previous in an even flow.

It took a full day of my time to white-wall the tires on my Plymouth, but only a single pint of the Firestone whitewall product. Not only were there no brush strokes in my wide whites, they did not deteriorate or discolor in the year they were in service. I blew up the motor racing a pal -- although his Chevy blew first and I was still able to nurse home my Plymouth with a collapsed piston. The painted wide whites still looked great! What a shame it is that low-impact products like this are no longer available.

[​IMG]

Mike

2. TrioxinKustoms

TrioxinKustoms
    from Romney, WV

Jack car up.
    Wire brush tire with lacquer thinner.
    Brush first coat on while the tire is still "soft" from the thinner. Let Dry.
    Brush on second coat.
    Done.

[​IMG]

Fools em' every time if you do it right.

[​IMG]

This is them very...very...very dirty

3. Not a hope in hell I'm spending $1,000 for WWW on this pig. So paint it is. (Hub caps coming)

[​IMG]

4. Falcon Sprint

Falcon Sprint

They turned out great!

Before;
    [​IMG]

After;
    [​IMG]

Before;
    [​IMG]

After;
    [​IMG]

5. hardlucktattoo

hardlucktattoo

OK I just tried the paint white walls with roof coating but one thing what do you clean them with?

Sent from my SCH-R530U using H.A.M.B. mobile app

6. Falcon Sprint

Falcon Sprint

Westley's bleach white and then Simple Green, and you have to clean them 2 or 3 times.

7. Rusty Heaps

Rusty Heaps

Now that's funny!

8. hardlucktattoo

hardlucktattoo

[​IMG]
    Roofing paint works great

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!