Register now to get rid of these ads!

What states allow YOM plates

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by prewarcars4me, Nov 5, 2012.

1. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

In New York State, a pair of YOM plates is required, unless only a single plate was issued in the particular year. The "single years" are: 1942-43 (43 tab on 42 plate), 1944 (re-stamped 1942 plate), 1945, 1946, 1947, 1950, 1953-54 (54 tab on 53 plate), 1955-56 (56 tab on a 55 plate), and 1964-65 (65 sticker on 64 plate).

2. Smokeybear

Smokeybear

Correct, you do not have to register the YOM plate. You can register your car with an antique vehicle tag then run the YOM plate on the vehicle whilst the registered tag resides with the car. Great system. One of the few things KY does right when it comes to auto registration.

3. gemcityrenegade

gemcityrenegade

Ohio does but must be connected with historic plates and rules are car shows and maintenance only. Might get a local pd that wants to hassle but every time I drive any of my old cars it's getting worked so no biggie. Almost always have parts and tools in the back seat.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Link to Washington State YOM plate page.
    http://www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/sprestored.html

The main issue is getting plates with a number that isn't in use. Washington used to reuse the numbers by changing the color of the plate every so often so it might be possible that a guy with a 1951 plate with ABC 123 could have the same plate number that a guy with a 1955 plate is already using. I don't know how that works.
    There are the usual rumors about guys getting nailed for driving the cars as a daily driver but I don't actually know anyone who has been stopped over it.
    It isn't my thing as I believe that should be for fully restored vehicles and not 1931 hot rods built to look like they were built in 1957.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  5. Oklahoma does. Been a one-tag state since 1940. Earlier cars and trucks are supposed to run two matching plates, but it's not enforced, that I know of. Can not be a number that is currently in the Oklahoma system. Must be 25 years or older, but the last year of new annual license plates is 1980, so that is a moot point. YOM plates in OK are treated the same as personalized vanity plates, which cost $21.50 annually, and all YOM plates need to be renewed in January of each year. A small windshield sticker is issued that shows that YOM tag is good for the current registration year, and must be displayed. The regular registration plate MUST be carried inside the vehicle somewhere (under the seat, in the trunk, etc). Normal registration and YOM registration together run $43.00 annually. You can get an Antique tag that is good for ten years, cost $90.00, but usage is severely limited.

Texas does.

Colorado does now, too.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2012
  6. ctfordguy

ctfordguy

CONNECTICUT allows it. You need an unrestored YOM pair with appropriate metal tag or sticker on it. You must register with antique plate first, I believe. Then register the YOMs. The antique plate must be in the car as the car is really registered to the antique. No mileage or usage restrictions that I know of.
    Bruce

7. starliner62

starliner62

North Carolina, yes. Gotta keep the registered plate in the car and show it to whoever asks.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2012
  8. olcurmdgeon

olcurmdgeon

New Hampshire allows it for vehicles registered as antique vehicle, this year they went to allowing YOM plates front and back, just keep your antique plate in the car somewhere.

9. noboD

noboD

Pa. just started in August. $75 to register as antique then $75 to use YOM plates, only need one. There is a site to see if number is being used, if so YOM plate can not be used. Better check before you buy the plate. I can't get an answer from anyone if plates can be painted. Law says " must be legible from a reasonable distance." You have to submit a picture with the application.

10. Seems a few states did that as I have matched sets from a few years for the same number. I found one I do remember buying (I guess the memory banks aren't completely full) Y66-666, but I dont remember what state,lol.

11. n00b

n00b

Rules in SC

Year of Manufacture Plates
    Beginning April, 2007 owners of certain motor vehicles thirty years old or older can apply to the Department to use a license plate issued by this State in the year corresponding to the model year of the vehicle. Upon approval, these “Year of Manufacture” plates will be used on the vehicle as a regular license plate. These plates can only be used on automobiles and light trucks with a GVW of 11,000 lbs. or less and an empty weight of 9,000 lbs. or less.
    Year of Manufacture plates permit a vehicle that is at least 30 years old to travel on the roadways. These plates should not be confused with Antique Plates. Antique license plates can be used only on vehicles at least 25 years old; the vehicle is to be used only for club activities, exhibits, tours, parades and similar events, but not for general transportation.
    To apply for use of a Year of Manufacture plate as a vehicle’s regular registration, the plate must meet prescribed criteria and the applicant must meet all the requirements as detailed in RG-505A Application for Year of Manufacture License Plate.
    SCDMV does not sell or issue Year of Manufacture plates. Owners can purchase these plates through a commercial outlet; however, owners are responsible for ensuring that they understand and can meet all requirements before purchasing a plate. To view a historical list of SC license plates, click here.
    Certain number sequences are not available for use as a Year of Manufacture plate. Other number sequences are available only on a limited basis. To view list of unavailable or limited availability plate sequences, click here. Applicants seeking to use a Year of Manufacture plate must first contact the SCDMV’s Personalized Plate Unit at (803) 896-9638 to determine whether a desired plate number is available BEFORE purchasing the plate. Once the plate number has been reserved with the Personalized Plate unit, the applicant is authorized to make application for the plate by mailing the following documents to S.C. Department of Motor Vehicles, Personalized Plate Unit P.O. Box 1498, Blythewood, S.C. 29016-0008. Tel. (803) 896-9638:
    Form RG-505a Application for Year of Manufacture License Plate
    Copy of paid property tax receipt
    A clear color copy or photograph of the plate to be registered
    Certification that the vehicle to which the plate is attached is insured
    Year of Manufacture special plate fee of $30.00
    Normal biennial vehicle registration fee (consult form RG-505a for fee schedule)

12. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Colorado does with some provisos. There is no charge, but the legal plates are either the vintage or regular plates. I have personalized plates that have the same numbers as the 1927 plate.

Attached Files:

13. Terrence

Terrence

For anyone in Colorado that needs a plate from about 1958-74 I know a second hand store that has hundreds of unissued CO plates from that era I think they were 5 or 10 dollars each but most are perfect NOS. This Place http://www.citywideindoorgaragesale.com/

14. Mass. needs to be updated too because the way I understood it talking to the registry guy, if you have a street rod you need to get a street rod registration (not plate) and with a street rod registration you are not allowed to run YOM plates.

Thanks a lot kit car guys and SEMA:(

15. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

They changed the YOM rules. At one time, you could get YOM plates on anything 25 years or older. Now there's a cutoff at 1948. Tried for YOM plates for my 1985 GMC El Camino and 1960 T-Bird and struck out. There was a short time period when you could get YOM plates for 25 years and older cars until they jacked up the registration fees around 2008. That may be why those plates are so cheap.

16. hotrod40coupe

hotrod40coupe

Rules for Nevada

Vintage License Plates

NRS 482.3818 ​
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]A Vintage license plate is a duplicate/replica of a license plate 1942 or older. You may have an existing set of plates to duplicate or the Department can assign a number.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]
    Important: ​
    [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]The production of the license plate will [/FONT][/FONT]not [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]be exactly as the original.

1. The current digitized manufacturing process will be used to produce the license plates.
    2. Please make sure this is acceptable before ordering.
    3. There are
    1. [/FONT]
    1. [/FONT]no [FONT=Arial,Arial][FONT=Arial,Arial]refunds for the manufacturing of the license plate.
    The Department must manufacture the license plate using the current manufacturing process.
    The use of an original set of license plates 1942 or older is prohibited. ​
    If you have any questions on ordering a Vintage license plate please call the number listed above.
    [/FONT]
    [/FONT]

17. legend

legend
    from Irwin PA

Just got mine in PA. didn't have car registered as an antique it cost me $172.50
    $75.00 for Antique plate $75.00 to use the YOM plate that I bought and $22.50 for antique title. And I didn't even get an Antique plate.:mad: The girl who did my title work asked why were they charging $75.00 to issue an antique plate when they didn't issue one. Clerk at DOT said that's what my book says $75.00 whether we issue a plate or not. sounds like double dipping if you ask me !!!!!!:eek:

18. Nope that is a classic or historical tag, YOM is unlimited. A YOM tag in missouri is just a vanity tag or hat is the way that the state views it and that is how you apply for one using the vanity tag form only instead of printing letters in the little box you send a picture of the tag.

19. My brother is running YOM plates on his 30 coupe. He had to put regular plates on it and then the YOM. He carries the plates and registration with the car.
    Lee

20. rottenleonard

rottenleonard

Idaho lets you use them, but they have to be approved for condition.

21. okay some one make the list i'm con fused

22. Nebraska does..only 1 plate required after it's cleared by the state to not already be registered by someone else..only have to pay taxes and registration one time.

23. Same in Missouri, no yearly saftey inspection or nuthin' Hastle free motoring.

24. cheveey57

cheveey57

And to add to this. 1957 is the first year when you had to run two plates. On my 57 I only run one because most cops don't even know this little tidbit, and if they do, they don't seem to care.

25. blue68deville

blue68deville

Texas lets u run em

26. Between that website and the additions you guys are adding, I think this thread will not only help me, but it will help a lot of guys.

27. Well I collect '54 plates from various states when they are free.

All I want is my thank you masked man. :D:D:D

I wonder if someone couldn't compile a list from savvy HAMBers. It would be useful to a lot of folks.

28. THANK YOU. Once this thread goes its course, I will make a list for myself, then post it up for everyone.

Seriously, thanks guys. This saves me a ton of effort.

29. AL-1
    AK-2
    AZ-1
    AR-1
    CA-2
    CO-1 with conditions
    CT-1 with conditions
    DE-NO
    FL-1
    GA-1
    HI-NO
    ID-1
    IL-2
    IN-1 or 2?
    IA-
    KS-1
    KY-1
    LA-1 or 2
    ME-2 with conditions
    MD-2 with conditions
    MA-1 or 2
    MI-1 with conditions
    MN-1
    MS-
    MO-1
    MT-2
    NE-1
    NV-2 with conditions (no originals, digitally made new ones by DMV)
    NH-2 with conditions
    NJ-NO
    NM-1
    NY-2
    NC-1
    ND-1 or 2
    OH-1 with conditions
    OK-1
    OR-1
    PA-1 with conditions
    RI-
    SC-1
    SD-2
    TN-1
    TX-2
    UT-1 or 2
    VT-
    VA-2
    WA-1
    WV-1
    WI-
    WY-

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  30. Terrence

Terrence

That's good to know, I won't register anything in CO anymore. It's too expensive. Everything I own will get PA tags, El Paso County also wants to emmissions test my diesel jeep but not my gas vehicles, in PA it's the exact opposite.

petsco likes this.