Register now to get rid of these ads!

What states allow YOM plates

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by prewarcars4me, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Yes, I did a search and came up with a ton of threads on single states. I am going through YEARS of collecting (hoarding) parts, including 1000s of old plates. Does anyone know of a website (or thread) that says which states allow YOM plates to be registered, and which states allow 1 or have to have both plates?

Thanks.

2. Can't answer that I know that Missouri only requires one plate when running YOM plates but it is supposed to be a missouri plate.

3. birdman42

birdman42

Mo. allows you to run one YOM plate but you have to keep a milage logg and there is 2500 mile limit per year.

4. I don't know of any website but New York allows it.

5. Hellfish

Hellfish

Illinois allows YOM plates with antique vehicle registration plates. IL requires 2 plates for regular cars, but I'm not sure about YOM. I doubt it since they don't even require you to register the YOM plates (keep the regular plates in the car)

6. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

California has YOM, and you need 2. no driving restrictions.

7. Id even be happy if you guys do what you are doing, chiming in with your states info. I can read through 1 or 2 threads and write it down, but if I have to muddle through 10,000 threads HOPING to find info, I'll just leave them boxed up.

8. nukeman

nukeman
    from Michigan

9. 41hemi

41hemi

Maryland allows YOM plates. You are required to run BOTH on the car.

10. sixbangr

sixbangr

Kansas, one plate, no restrictions

11. Arizona participates in the yom plate program. You only need to run 1 plate on the rear and register the cleared plate for $25 per year as a specialty plate

12. I found 6 full boxes (many matched plates) today in storage. I have no idea why I thought I ever needed 100s South dakota and Minnisota 30s-60s plates. I dont even collect plates or even remember buying the damn things. :confused:

13. nukeman

nukeman
    from Michigan

Here's Arizona:

• YEAR OF MANUFACTURE LICENSE PLATE USE -- REGISTRATION ALLOWED:
      VEHICLE QUALIFYING AGE: Arizona 28-2483 states "For the purposes of this section, "classic car" means a car included in the 1963 list of classic cars filed with the director by the classic car club of America. The director shall revise the list every five years."

Arizona 28-2484 states "For the purposes of this section, "historic vehicle" means any of the following: 1) A vehicle bearing a model year date of original manufacture that is twenty-five years old or older. 2) A vehicle included in a list of historic vehicles filed with the director by a recognized historic or classic vehicle organization during the month of December of each year. 3) A reconstructed vehicle that the director determines, on application by the owner, retains at least the basic original body style as manufactured twenty-five years or more before the date of the application."

DMV advises YOM plates are also referred to in ARS 28-2487 and have been clarified in Policy 12.2.3 which has been approved but not signed as of 05/30/2006.
      VEHICLE TYPES QUALIFYING FOR YOM: Any vehicle qualifying for registration as a Classic or Historic vehicle
      MUST TYPES MATCH: Yes
      SINGLE/PAIR REQUIRED: Single
      REPAINTED PLATES ALLOWED: Repainted plates are subjective, and the decision to accept or deny is made by the supervisor of the MVD office that the vehicle owner visits.
      MUST NUMBER CLEAR: Yes
      NOTES: Arizona refers to their YOM law as "Antique license plates". Briefly, to qualify for YOM use, the plate must 1) Have "ARIZONA" or "ARIZ" imprinted upon it, and 2) Have a minimum of two, but not more than six characters, and 3) Have sufficient space to affix the validating tabs (in two of the four corners) without covering numbers or letters that are a part of the plate, and 4) Be legible and serviceable, and 5) Have the year of plate's issuance as a permanent part of the plate. The year is imprinted onto the plate, or a metal tab from 1951, 1953, or 1955 is attached to the plate

14. I left out that (in NY) if 2 plates were required in that given year, then you need to have both. Obviously if only 1 was required then you'd only need one.

Also, the value of the plate(s) depends on if the plate numbers are already in use. If they are then the plate is a wall hanger with little value. But if the number is useable then the value goes up and way up on rare years.

15. Perfect. God, I'm getting old. I saw that link on Google and thought "why in the world would I go to a TUNER site to look at yom plates" :eek:

16. Yea, I know AZ does, as I have a copper 34 for my coupe.

17. Washington state uses them. One plate required on the rear of vehicle, an serviceable original or restored and with limited use with a one time registration fee (which pays for itself the first year)

18. MT26

MT26
    1. Virginia HAMB(ers)

Virginia allows YOM Plates and both are required.

19. dunno about a list ...
    but i have seen minn plates cut up and welded back to gether to get a vintage plate # they wanted ...

20. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

http://www.turnerplates.com/YOM%20Index.html

at least for California, this site needs to be updated. it says pre 1962 only, but the black 63 - 69 plates are now included for 63-69 cars.

also they say no repainted plates... I'd like to know how some useless DMV employee can tell the difference between NOS or a proper restoration?

21. kentucky does. 1 plate. have to register it with antique tags and follow those rules

22. wa uses one plate and limited use is the deal but i have never heard of anyone being hassled for it.

23. Yeah, NY says the same thing but I've seen a lot of restored plates on cars. Personally, I think it's just a scare tactic.

24. Aviator

Aviator

CHAPTER 19. MOTOR VEHICLE PRIVILEGE AND EXCISE TAXES
    ARTICLE 1. MOTOR VEHICLE PRIVILEGE TAXES

Miss. Code Ann. § 27-19-56.11 (2011)

§ 27-19-56.11. Special license tags or plates; historical license plate for antique automobile or street rod

(1) Any resident of the State of Mississippi who is the owner of an antique automobile, as defined in Section 27-19-47, or a street rod, as defined in Section 27-19-56.6, upon payment of the fee provided for ... may apply through the office of the tax collector in the county of his legal residence...for permission to display on the vehicle an authentic historical license plate of the same year of issuance as the model year of the antique automobile or street rod. The license plate shall be furnished by the applicant and presented for authentication to the State Tax Commission by the county tax collector....

(2) ...each person who applies for permission to display an historical license plate under this section, shall pay a one-time, nonrefundable special license tax fee of Twenty-five Dollars ($ 25.00) to the county tax collector.

(3)...the State Tax Commission shall examine the historical license plate to determine its authenticity, its condition and its original year of issue. If the commission determines that the license plate is an authentic historical license plate of the same year of issuance as the model year of the antique automobile or street rod for which permission to display the license plate is applied and that the license plate is in satisfactory original condition or has been refurbished to a satisfactory condition....

(4) An historical license plate...is not transferable... if such person sells, trades, exchanges or otherwise disposes of the vehicle, he must remove the license plate from such vehicle.

25. Michigan allows "Authentic License Plates" for cars 26 or more years old. Cost is $30.

Steve

26. Terrence

Terrence

That site is not up to date for Pennsylvania either. They just started allowing them this year.

27. If you're looking to sell, I would be interested in either Colorado of NY plates from 1953.

Thanks.

Adam

28. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

You must register your car and keep either a regular Ky. tag, or specialty tag in your car's trunk while you are using the year of make tag. That way if you are pulled over by the police you can show proof of current registration.

29. dynaflash

dynaflash
    from South

Georgia does. 1 plate only needed but then again that is all we have anyway for most years

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

30. Merlin

Merlin
    from Inman, SC

South Carolina does, One plate.

BTW what do you have in the way of SC plates?:D