Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Shipping for Vietnam...
    [​IMG]

2. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

3. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Aberdeen Proving Grounds
    [​IMG]

4. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Sgt Bailly, Long Bihn 1969
    [​IMG]

5. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Dad in the middle, with brother and Santa...
    [​IMG]

6. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

7. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

Dad's 1st "Custom"...
    [​IMG]

8. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

9. RainierHooker

RainierHooker
    from Tacoma, WA

A Bug-In in the 1970's...
    [​IMG]

10. removed

Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  11. automaticslim

automaticslim
    from new jersey

Thanks Jimi! Now that I look at the pie picture closer, I seem to see Dean Martin also. So I think you and WCD are right. And WCD, that does look like Rosemary Clooney. But the George Jetson voice thing is still bugging me. I might have gotten the movie shot character's name wrong, it might have been Joe McDoaks. I watched one of the episodes on TCM a month or so ago and the guy playing McDoaks sounded just like George Jetson, even looked like him a bit! Sorry to be obsessed with the George Jetson question.

JANE, STOP THIS CRAZY THING!!!!!

12. yellerspirit

yellerspirit
    from N.H.

13. Winmon

Winmon

Looks like Bremerton...

14. ehdubya

ehdubya

If you broke down in France c1930 the road nurse could save you...

Attached Files:

15. edweird

edweird

this must be the nice ass section.

16. wmerricks

wmerricks

I thought I knew what ugly meant , until I saw this. Yuk.

17. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

After Robert Benchley died, the series went on EVEN LONGER (to '56, I think) with another, singular actor playing Joe. I'll need to go back to the well and get his name. Maybe HE went on to be the voice of George Jetson?:confused:

18. swi66

swi66

19. swi66

swi66

20. swi66

swi66

21. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]
    Main St. Middleport NY 1955

22. swi66

swi66

23. swi66

swi66

24. swi66

swi66

25. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

[​IMG]

According to Wikipedia, this graphic is typical of the Joe McDoakes (aka Joe Doakes) series of topical comedy one-reelers released by Warner Brothers from '42 through '56. All or most of the shorts were titled beginning, "So you want to ..." and pitted hapless everyman Joe against some sign-of-the-times challenge ("So You Want to Play the Horses," "So You're Going to Be a Father," "So You Want to Learn to Dance," "So You Want to Buy a Television Set," get it?:p).

In looking into this, I got a real impression that the now somewhat quaint Joe Doakes shorts were typical of what constitued tongue-in-cheek humor in the late '30s and the '40s:rolleyes: (think Charlie Chaplain, Laurel & Hardy) and, second, they were a sort of forerunner, paving the way for the comic stereotypes of the '50s, '60s, beyond?

As mentioned yesterday, Robert Benchley was Joe 'til '44 when he died of liver failure. When the war wound down, Warner picked back up production, now with George O'Hanlon as Joe.

From Wikipedia: "The character's name comes from "Joe Doakes," which was a popular American slang term for the average man. (The term "Joe Blow":) is now more common.) ... George O'Hanlon (1912-1989), who would later provide the voice of George Jetson;), starred as Joe McDoakes."

According to the New York Times, O'Hanlon's other credits included the roles of the television commentator in the film ''Rocky'' and Chester Riley's (William Bendix) next-door neighbor on the television show ''The Life of Riley.'' He also wrote for the Jackie Gleason show for two years.

TRIVIA:
    His cousin, Virginia O'Hanlon, is the subject of the famous editorial, "Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa Claus.";)

Was originally hired to voice Fred Flinstone for "The Flintstones" :eek:(1960). However, one of the sponsors didn't think he was right for the part and he was replaced by Alan Reed.

[​IMG]

George O'Hanlon, 1912-1989. To have brought joy and entertainment
    to so many lives, heck, that's a pretty keen legacy, wouldn't ya
    say?:) Photo thanks to MandyLovesVintage and FanPix.com!

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  26. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

Really nice pictures and story about your Dad. He was an amazing guy!

27. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by RainierHooker [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Ditto! :cool: And THANKS, as always, to all vets and those still serving!

Hey, not meaning to hijack, but if you look hard at the steel flange ("ear") there at left, you'll see the famous "Circle B" logo of the Buckeye Steel Castings Company of Columbus, Ohio. "The Ol' Buckeye," as my dad called it (He was a 32-year vet of "The Buckeye Slaughterhouse," as it was known in the pre-OSHA decades!) had half of its (as I recall), Number-2 Foundry devoted to ARMOR. My uncle worked regularly on armor, especially during Vietnam when orders for tank turrets and other heavy-armor components were steady. He may have welded on this very turret.:cool: My dad welded (and burned at times) on bolsters, side frames, strikers, couplers, etc., for RR & mass transit, as well as big-ass crane bases, treads, pile drivers (incl. for use in Alaska), NASA rocket crawlers, etc. Just before Dad started in 1963, Buckeye manpower had completed the mighty earthmover, the "Gem of Egypt." (You can search amazing pix of it at the top of the page.)

Buckeye went all the way back to 1894, when it was founded by, among others, Geo. H.W. Bush's grandfather, Samuel Prescott Bush, who served as Buckeye company president from 1907 to 1927. To my knowledge, military steel casting began there during WWI when they cast cannon barrels. In its heyday, Buckeye Steel Castings had more square footage under roof than any other foundry in the world; and they employed some 2,000 on three shifts; the mill only cooled the furnaces once a year, and employees then took two weeks of vacation.

Next time you are stopped, counting cars at a RR crossing, watch for the "Circle B" logo on the side frames, visible by the wheels. These are still around, though Worthington Industries sold off Buckeye Steel in 2002 after more than a century and untold hundreds of thousands of tons of finished iron and steel products. (New owners still cast steel there -- on a much scaled-down basis -- as "Columbus Steel.")

Last edited: Nov 4, 2012
  28. WCD

WCD

SWI66 does it again by presenting the Alexanderr Bros Deora custom Dodge P/U, Kawasaki scrambler that my pal bought new leading to my life long penchant for off road riding, a rare glimpse of Mel Brooks hillclimbing days and the ever modest Jungle Pam.

29. edweird

edweird

i agree.

30. starwalker

starwalker

[​IMG]
    A baptism service in 1939.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.