Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 1957 Chevy Pickup Pt. 2 "El Trucko"

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by TaylorCrawford, Sep 12, 2011.

1. LFANT DESIGN

LFANT DESIGN
    from POLAND

2. LFANT DESIGN

LFANT DESIGN
    from POLAND

3. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Haha! I forgot about the snake! Its still in the garage somewhere....I forget what we named him.

4. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Getting close on the wiring...Everything is working fine except my brake lights, so my Dad and I gotta figure out whats up with that. And we tried to fire it up before we started to tie everything together and it won't fire. So we arent sure whats goin on with that either. Its gettin gas and cranks, but it seems like its not getting spark. We are gonna try throwing the battery on the charger all night, because it started to die when it was cranking. We'll see what happens....

[​IMG]

5. skippycraig

skippycraig
    from Washington

Did you run the wire up from the starter solenoid to the coil so while cranking coil has full 12 volts? I helped wire a buddies car and that wasn't part of his new harness. His ignition switch wasn't energizing the coil in start position only during run position.

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

6. Our 55 is alive!!

Our 55 is alive!!

Here is our 57 and future engine. 509 big block Merlin

Attached Files:

7. 57 3100

57 3100

might be a bad turn signal switch in the steering column. all light functions run through it, headlights, turn signals, brake and running lights.....thats what was wrong on my 57. it drove me crazy...

8. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Im pretty sure we did, I'll take a look when I get a chance! Thanks!

9. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Alright so we are getting power to the coil, but we are only getting 9.5 volts while cranking, any suggestions?

10. kingofknights

kingofknights

what motor and trans mounts did you use? i have the brothers kit for my 55, got any pics of the mount locations?

11. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

The motor mounts are custom made I think, they were in the truck when I got it. I just used a Truck Shop trans crossmember. It is probably the same as the brothers kit. I dont have any pics, but I'll try to get some!

12. 1959apache

1959apache

Swap to another battery to see if it will start. If it does then either something is wrong with your battery or your charging system. Make sure all of your grounds are good and clean too. Cant stress that enough

13. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

The battery was fresh off the charger. I'll go through all the grounds. It cranks fine, but its just not getting spark it seems like.

14. 1959apache

1959apache

Well the purpose of swapping the batteries is to ensure that even though the charger says its charged, it may not be. Who's to say the charger is doing its job correctly or who's to say the battery is holding the voltage. Faster way is to hook a set of jumpers to the battery and see if it starts, but I would suggest just swapping the battery so in case your pickup is searching for a better ground it doesn't back feed to the other car through the battery (electricity does funny things when searching for a ground.

Just follow the flow of electricity... if you have 12 from the battery (depending how you have it hooked up) you may need to go to the starter and check with your meter, then move to the coil (which I have a feeling is your problem). Was it starting when you did the coil swap? The engine won't fire unless you have 12 volts, just FYI, so there is either a problem with your power source or a problem with your coil (even though its brand new), or your grounds are lousy. dielectric grease is the key for the grounds.

This is a really easy problem to fix, just take your time and just follow the flow. IF you can't find anything with the power (meaning 12v to the distributor) then eliminate all possibilities... I would ohm out your ground wires.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  15. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

We have 12 volts at the battery, I'll trace it down! Thanks!

16. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Okay so we put a new ignition condensor in because my neighbor thought that might have gone bad, and I figured it would hurt. Still nothing. We are getting 12 Volts at the resistor, and than it steps down to 10 Volts. We also bypassed the resistor and put 12 volts straight to the coil. We had a good ground and still had no spark. I dont think the coil could have gone bad, it was brand new and working before we re wired it. Any advice?

17. 1959apache

1959apache

Give me a call, PM sent.

18. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

builds lookin killer dude. i love the "inspiration" pic on page 8, thats real similar to where im going with my apache..... hopefully bring a little west coast flavor back east :D. keep pluggin away man

19. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Thanks man! Cant wait to see yours!

20. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

I got a build thread up, just gettin the notch and rearend squared away. Tons of rust out here haha

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

21. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Just saw! Lookin good man! Way cooler than my pile of junk haha.

22. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

I finally got it to fire up! My buddy gave me a new distributor he had sitting around and wasnt gonna use. Swapped it out and it fired up in one crank! Just gotta tie up some loose ends in the wiring and get it all wrapped and cleaned up.....

23. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

good deal man ! glad to hear its up and runnin

24. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Me too! Im scrapin to get it all back together for Mooneyes Xmas party in a few weeks.

25. 1959apache

1959apache

Great job on getting it running. How about some pictures

26. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

[​IMG]

Not ready to go out yet, but close! Haha.

27. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

Took it out for a test run and it was missing and back firing when I'd take off from the line, so o think the timing needs to be tweaked. Anyways, Happy Thanksgiving!

28. KooDaddy

KooDaddy
    from Wis.

Thanks you saved me some headach and bitching.

29. TaylorCrawford

TaylorCrawford

[​IMG]

Everythings working, but now Im getting a miss and back fire at high RPM. Starts up fine and runs perfect at low RPM, but soon as you step on it it mis-fires. I think I have to tweak with the timing a little bit. It did this when the coil went bad, but Its a brand new coil in it, so I dont think the coil died that quick....

30. 1959apache

1959apache

yes it is timing, looking good though!