Register now to get rid of these ads!

Want to build my own chassis. Need ideas

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Thrasher32, Nov 2, 2012.

1. Thrasher32

Thrasher32
    from Fresno

I got a 29 ford 4dr. I've tried looking on here I can't find shit lol. I wanna build my own frame. Basically I want it Z'd low as possible with stock front suspension and rear suspension. I can figure out the rest. I just need a rough idea of width and length. I'm 26 years old so you old timers can at least give me a break lol thanks

2. Crankhole

Crankhole

3. Thrasher32

Thrasher32
    from Fresno

4. THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER

THE FRENCHTOWN FLYER
    from FRENCHTOWN

Why not just measure a stock Model A frame - they're practically omnipresent.

One suggestion I would make is to make the frame rails in the passenger compartment out of 1/8 wall, 2 x 4 rectangular tubing, but make the front and rear kick-ups out of something smaller, say 2 x 3 tubing. It will make the car much more survivable in a crash.

I know, I know, at age 26 you aren't worried so much about building it safe.

I just thought of another suggestion: Before welding the frame sections together drill, tap, and weld nuts to the inside of the tubing wherever possible for things like headlight mounts, shock and brake brackets, and fuel and brake line attachments, etc. Good luck with your project.

5. build a mockup out of wood 2x4's and truss plates (screwed).
    Mitre saw will make it much easier!
    Very cheap and easy way to ensure you are really ready before cutting steel.
    On my current build the local supplier sells the rect tubing in 24' lengths so there was no room for error unless I want to buy 24 more.

6. Good Luck junior. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  7. pitman

pitman

Look up the frame thread by Brianangus. Start with his advice.

8. Can your keyboard beat up my keyboard :rolleyes:

9. bob cutler

bob cutler

HEY leave my mule out of this!

10. goose-em

goose-em
    from Louisiana

Luckily us seasoned fellows can afford to win in court once our asses are supposedly beat!

Wood is your friend and when you are done mocking up your frame out of wood you can use it to whip some old guys ass!

11. jaxx

jaxx

just a few shots of my home built frame for my R P U - used 2 x 3 tubing ans 2 x 2 frt crossmember - with 1/4 in plate for inter liner ( adds sheer strenght ) - jaxx

12. Boxcar's 1928

Boxcar's 1928

I wouldn't have guessed your a day older than 16.

13. Mat Thrasher

Mat Thrasher

Just one suggestion from me. Ease up on the sig line and you'll get a lot more advice. This is a great form with a ton of great info. I was very green when I signed up too. I sat back and read everything I could and learned a ton. Just my 2 cents.

14. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

I am on the fence trying to choose between a couple different chassis layouts, I was actually planning to do something similar just so I could figure out seating/cockpit room before I committed myself. Was just going to make a simple but dimensionally accurate wood subframe from the firewall to the back of the seat, mock up a windshield, crossmember, a steering box/column and seating, just to see how I'm gonna fit. But I'm not planning to sit in it and make engine sounds. Really. Absolutely not gonna do that...

15. 117harv

117harv

^^^This.

16. Gator

Gator

You asked the same question about 2 months ago, except then IIRC you had a 32 Ford. :rolleyes:

17. 2 things. Ill bet he thought it was a 32 and now knows different. 2, carefull or he will kick your ass :D

18. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

My mule gets the crazy idea you might be making fun of him.

19. knotttty

knotttty

20. That is what I did. Wood is cheap, plentiful, easy to cut, etc! Lock the doors if you're gonna "drive it".

21. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

I don't know if I like your Tone Mr.;)LOL The eye is Watching!

22. BISHOP

BISHOP

23. ed_v

ed_v
    from Kentucky

Doesn't seem so tough now does he?

You guys sure know how to get rid of the FNG's! Gotta be pretty thick skinned to survive around here. With a signature line like that, he was toast from the start :D.

Ed

24. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida