Register now to get rid of these ads!

Art & Inspiration ***##!!..friday art show attack..!!##***

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BOMONSTER, Nov 2, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I love that sign, I've shot it a bunch of times. I have a HUGE 9' x 6' poster of it that will probably end up in my garage soon. I have to guess that the actual sign will disappear like most of the rest soon.

Nice work as always.

2. TheHoff

TheHoff
    from Media PA

Awesome Show going on today. all the photographs are awesome, the pinstriping is rad, and the drawings are cool. I missed last Friday. Ive been fooling around with pinstriping face/characters for a change up.please excuse the crappy cell phone pictures i have yet to invest in a decent camera.....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. VonDad

VonDad

A second attempt at an eyeball for the boy. Dunno if I posted or not.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 1, 2014
  4. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

really like this shot!

5. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

6. gasolinescream

gasolinescream

Loving these. I've been practising my striping by attempting stuff like this. Found it really helped the creative side of things and getting to use and know your brush.

7. sambo

sambo

Tom Davidson-CHEATER!!!! Thats a photoshopped photo!!!!.....lol.Amazing! Is that the colored paint pencil on sand paper? Always one of my heros,

8. After looking for ages @ The Friday Art Show, its time to post some stuff :)
    [​IMG]

Grumy Old man, 10X15 cm Flaked Background

[​IMG]

No Zebra`s where harmed for this piece, A4 size..Two collors on glass

[​IMG]

Just plain fun to do these

[​IMG]

Yes Thats a "Klomp" from holland for fellow a hamber

[​IMG]

Some Ford doors done by me :)

More next week ?

9. The ultimate tool
    [​IMG]

10. Del Swanson

Del Swanson
    from Racine, WI

Maybe instead of calling out Tom, you should call out the guys who really do try to pass off their Photoshopped photos as art by adding a signature, or peice other peoples photos in Photoshop and call it their own. I'll say this again, and I'm sure this will anger some people, don't try to pass off something that it's not. It's a slap in the face to people who've worked very hard to hone their craft. Most of us know the difference between a piece of art that has been crafted by an artist(traditional or digital), and a photo that's been Photoshop filtered. There is nothing wrong with using Photoshop, but an artist will make the creative decisions, while a poser will let the computer do it. End of rant

11. Where is my "LIKE" button...

I agree Del... you angered me...
    Seriously tho, again you put a fine point on the truth. Tom is one of the 'regulars' and has been posting his art on here for years. His photos are his photos and if he wants to add a little digital enhancement here and there more power to him. All artists should be encouraged to experiment with their work.

Great work Tom, great work Jen, great work everyone!

12. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Thanks Del. I think Sambo's "lol" indicates that he is not calling me out, but instead, merely ribbing me!

He may even really believe that I painted it from the reference photo that I shot of the red Deuce, because that was my job for the past 50 years before I retired and I am known for painting photorealistic cars from photos at car shows across the country.

People show photos with digital postproduction work on this thread all the time and those artists rarely if ever explain that fact with their piece probably because it's obvious. I didn't disclose it either, but maybe I should have.

For the record, I shot the Deuce photo last Sunday and I do consider it to be "art enough" to be in this thread without the Photoshop work that I did.

Here's a shot of one of a painting I did freehand in an hour, during my commercial days, using only one hand with an airbrush. The reference photo is in the corner.

[​IMG]

13. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

14. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

15. b-body-bob

b-body-bob

Now that just makes me curious ... could you have done it in a half hour if you'd used two hands? :D

16. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Haha, I asked for that one!

The reference was to the fact that nearly every other artist needs two hands to keep the airbrush steady.

17. sambo

sambo

Purely complimentary smartassism! I don't care what the hell it is,It took time to do and we appreciate you posting it.Embarrasing side note? I thought your piece was a Dav3 Kurz!? Sorry,I'm not wearing my glasses-at least the Dave part was right!:eek:

18. sambo

sambo

First,sorry to copy ALL his post but it's his first time!HELL YEAH,post next week! Love the doors,they'd fit my truck so send then down!Thanks for posting!

19. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Thanks Fur.
    Slim

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. REBEL

REBEL

MR. Davidson

Tom I still cherish my T shirt you did, of my 57 belair. You da man.

21. belair

belair

BOMONSTER-the only time you disappoint is when you don't post something. Thanks for being one of the best and most consistent contributors.

22. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

Thanks, Ed. That was one of the last car customs I did, and one of only four or five I ever painted on a black shirt. I had fun with it. Good to here from you!

23. BOMONSTER

BOMONSTER

Thanks brother. FAS is an excellent tradition and a real community. The level of talent here is incredible but what I'm discovering is how cool the followers of the FAS really are. I've met many of the great artists here and a bunch of lurkers (you know who you are) who tell me at the car shows where I vend how much they dig this whole thread every week. They're even nice to me when they take something off my wall saying "I want this" - and that they'll give me something in return but never do. Friendliest thieves I ever met...HA HA! (In truth it balances the best of the rest who just give me better art than mine without taking anything in return).

Anyway, as encouragement to other new artists out there I always tell them to commit to doing a new piece every week and to post it here to see it in context with better stuff and to watch their own improvement -like I've seen with my own work over the couple years and that of the many other "regulars" here. And to be a part of this inspiring and friendly bunch of art loving hoodlums.

24. weez

weez

"Hooligan" Commissioned '54 Chevy- acrylic on plywood 12"x25"

I didn't have any pics of it from this angle, (I had to sort of guess about the front end a bit) but when I was done I remembered there were really good photos of it in the Cole Foster book, Doh!

Attached Files:

25. knightworks

knightworks
    from Newmarket

A few panels from recent car show auctions. Sorry if any of these have been posted in the past.
    Nov.2nd is "The Day of The Dead"...but I didn't have anything to fit the theme...maybe some else does??

Attached Files:

26. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

A little moody... hey, lots of Halloween parties still going on this weekend!

[​IMG]

Off topic shots:

Attached Files:

27. xhotrodder

xhotrodder

28. Fiorano

Fiorano

29. Britt8M

Britt8M

Chicken Race

[​IMG]

30. j conrad

j conrad

[​IMG]
    this one is a little off topic but frankenstein is a little bit hot rod to me so here you go!
    acryclic on canvas...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.