Register now to get rid of these ads!

Carson Top Latch Ideas?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tattedkat, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Looking for Ideas To Latching a Carson top To The Front and Rear of the Car.
    I've Heard About Boat Latches, Convertible Latches, Old Push Button Seat Belts, Chrome Suitcase Latches, And Eye Bolts and Bungi Cords.. Lol..
    What Works Well To Latch a Carson top? Thanks.

2. Cerberus

Cerberus

Couple weeks ago, at Antioch Billetproof, This car was there. It has seat belt buckles welded to the inside body and to the carson top bottom rail. Top under construction. Pic #1

Also at Billetproof was this method of fastening a top to the front. Simple design, uses to "L" brackets drawn together with a bolt and wing nut. Pic #2.

www.Restorationstuff.com sells draw fasteners on page 53. Uses the front header to secure top.

Attached Files:

3. robber

robber

You might google Sid Chavers, creator of the "Bop Top". I bet Sid could tell you what works well;)

4. Cerberus

Cerberus

Poptops was at LARS in Pomana. They have some solutions for removable hardtops. One was using tie downs to cinch the rear, and posts with keepers for the front. Poptops is located in Hesparia, Ca.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012

5. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Good idea for a thread! Gary

6. Cerberus

Cerberus

huh?

7. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

^ Well, isn't it? As in THIS thread. Glad to see it started. Gary

8. Hotrodstitcher

Hotrodstitcher

Attached Files:

• 990.jpg
      990.jpg
      File size:
      20.5 KB
      Views:
  9. Cerberus

Cerberus

I almost bought those, until I realized, ya gotta be spot on when mounting them. So, today I ordered these, for 1/5th the price, made from stainless steel, and most importantly they are adjustable depending on the weatherstripping used. Only $35.00 a pair!

Attached Files:

10. Those look good. I used very small stainless ones (used in cart racing) good for 600lbs each. I drive my car a lot. It's been 6 years and no problems at all.

11. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

This is exactly what I was thinking of when I read your initial post. They are boat hardware aren't they? I looked at them years back to use as hood hold downs on my old hot rod, but decided to use lunchbox style latches instead.

12. FatDaddy53

FatDaddy53

ive seen alot of guys use seat belt buckles......id go junk yarding and rob some latches off a convertable

13. Cerberus

Cerberus

Yes. They are marine adjustable latches. They came yesterday. I was surprized the adjusting bolt is at a 15 degree angle (probably to clear the bracket). The windshield on my avatar is at a 12 degree angle. I don't know what is right side up with these latches. I will have to mount them with the wing nut adjuster on top to counter the angle of the windshield. This means the twin hooks bracket for the adjustable "t" bolt will be attached to the windshield frame. The wing nut bracket attached to the removable hard top will be bolted to a bracket embedded in resin with kitty hair, to the visor part of the removable hard top.This top is still under construction. See pix:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2012
  14. resto-rodder

resto-rodder

Hi,
    I will be needing latches for a '40 Merc Carson Top project. Has anyone used the Bob Drake '40 Ford convertible reproduction latches for a more vintage look?

15. Was going to take a closer look at these latches I saw at the '50s. One's a cam style and the other a loop and hook.

Different of view of the latches at Bruce's web sight:
    http://www.horkeyswoodandparts.com/page17.php

They don't have a built in adjustment; but was thinking they could be set up initially with a 3/8" or so shim plate under the hook, that could be replaced with a thinner shim plate to tighten as needed.
    latches bruce horkey (Medium).jpg

16. patterg2003

patterg2003

Nice looking latches . The compact one on the left looks compact & the security pin is a nice touch to prevent an accidental pop. I got the Bob Drake reproduction latches & visors when they were on sale for 20% & 25% off. The cost is sickening & still uncomfortable with the costs a couple years later. The Bob Drakes are well made SS & polished out like the ones that you are looking at. The latches shown appear to be quality being all stainless and full polished similar to the Drake latches. The stainlees will be stronger than a chromed cast brass. Either of these latches could do a car proud if they work out. The 40 - 48 Ford tops used three latches.& have a set of locating pins built in. It may be a question if there will need to be locating studs on top or windshield frame to locate and resist lateral movement so there is less strain on the latches.

This may help with a decision. https://www.bobdrake.com/FordItem.aspx?Item=11A-760-K
    Good luck with your quest to find latches.

17. morac41

morac41

The boat locker looks the way to go ..half way through building Carson top for my 41 Cad..using steel roof side for a profile to bend the bows into correct shape....

Attached Files:

18. These are the parts I used on the header of my 39 Ford,It had a Carson top.

I used the old seat belt latch trick on the back. HRP

37-39-top-latches-1.jpg