Register now to get rid of these ads!

My Favourite Hot Rodding Trick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by blackjack, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Is there anything that says hot rodding louder than drilled brake back plates? Costs next to nothing to do and looks trick - might even cool your drum brakes too.

[​IMG]

2. brady1929

brady1929

3. Did the fronts a while ago and put scoops on them too;

[​IMG]

4. dad-bud

dad-bud

Ahhhh, the magic of airflow amangement - that huuuuge scoop will be sucking in all those cfms, and now you've provided a relief path for all that hot air to escape through.
    Genius!!!
    (Actually, looks good)
    Cheers.

5. manyolcars

manyolcars

y'all must not have big brown wasps that like to get in those holes and make nests.

6. No black widows either. It's generally cool and wet here.

7. Muttley

Muttley

Looks great, I love drilling holes in stuff.

8. Hell I drill stuff that no one will ever see.

Wasps are not much of a problem unless you don't drive it much or don't drive it hard enough to get the brakes hot.

I do like a drilled backing plate, they seldom look as nice when I do it as black jack, but I always hope that no one will notice. ;)

9. It helps if you countersink the holes a little after drilling. I also made a crappy jig to make it all a bit easier;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. farmer12

farmer12

Great job on the holes, looks very good.

11. Our 55 is alive!!

Our 55 is alive!!

12. el Scotto

el Scotto
    from Tracy, CA

x2 :)

13. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

Looks cool, but I'd be concerned about all the road dust getting in their over the long haul. Then again, Hot Rods aren't really for long haulin'.

14. I'll keep an eye on it - not a big job to have the drum off to check and clean.

15. Those scoops just kill your aerodynamics :D

16. ROADSTER1927

ROADSTER1927

Looks Great, they also pick up a lot of water in the rain(dont ask how I know) Have a great day Gary

Attached Files:

17. 327-365hp

327-365hp
    from Mass

18. ;-) Because the Model T headlamps, windshield and grille have a cD even less than a Prius.

19. Whats a Prius? For even saying that on the Hamb you should wash your mouth out with carb cleaner :D

20. You have to drill the drums to let the water out. It also helps to let the hot gasses out as well, less fade.

21. CRH

CRH
    from Utah

Looks neat!

22. Be careful about driving on dirt roads because those little rocks that get in will destroy both shoe and drum and rain will make for longer stops.

23. An old drum brake trick that I learned from a fella that drove a log truck in Oregon was to periodically lightly apply the brakes when it was raining (Oregon was a rain forest at theh time, (80+ inches per year I don't know about now)). it keeps your brakes dry. I still apply that same principle when I am driving a vehicle with drum brakes.

There is way more to driving one of our old cars safely that just getting in and cranking it. A lot that never gets learned by someone who normally drives or learned to drive in a modern car.

Might make a good thread, I can think of 3 or 4 things right off the top of my head that were common practice when I was young that do not ever get taught or applied with a modern car.

24. My first wife: "Mash the foot feed a couple before crankin' it!":)

25. Unfortunately we don't have any dirt roads.

26. 1950heavymetal

1950heavymetal

Cool trick and they look neat. Thanks for sharing pics of your fixture in the drill press.

27. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

Better get some paint on them fancy backing plates then... :D

They look good!

28. It's all part of the plan.... Guys who have tried the bare metal look over here pretty soon end up with more rust than car.