Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage houses, post a pic of yours.

Discussion in 'The Antiquated' started by Roothawg, Nov 23, 2005.

1. this is my money pit, built in 1900, 13 room, 7 bedrooms, 6 bath, "this old house nightmare".

Attached Files:

2. Here's mine - original build date was 1934. Just a little bungalow in a historic part of San Antonio.

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ app (but not while driving!)

Attached Files:

3. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

Wow its very modern for the times. Very nice

thanks,
    Douglas Johnson
    "Skrach"
    www.VividlyVintage.com

4. DAVEG2

DAVEG2

My parents bought this house, brand new, in Norwalk, CT in 1929. I bought it from their estate in 1993 and lived in it til I sold it in 2006 to move to PA. I've build a lot of cars in that garage in the back.

Attached Files:

Chris Nantus likes this.
  5. Lived in this house in England. Originally a gamekeepers cottage, built in the 1700s.

[​IMG]

Born in this one in Terry, Mississippi

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2013
  6. -Brent-

-Brent-

[​IMG]
    House Star Install 4.28.JPG

Here's the latest pic of mine. I'm still in the process of the remodel, which includes landscaping. I've removed a bunch of overgrowth and unmaintained shrubs, leaving parts of the yard somewhat barren.

It was built in 1946. There's a detached garage (I call it my shop, since it houses my tools and hot rod projects) in the back, too.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2021
    Chris Nantus and rpm56 like this.
  7. oh and this is a block from me...

beach on atlantic ocean

[​IMG]

alfin32 likes this.
  8. vividlyvintage

vividlyvintage

Here is an idea i had.. i want your opinions good or bad.

What if there was a website where you could log on for free, go to your address on a map, then create a profile for your house. You can post older photos of the house, interesting stories, historical events etc. Then as a user you could look up other houses in the area or all over the United States and see if anyone posted the history of the house, what it looked like new, what it looked like in every decade etc. It can be called Housebook .com... lol no i would find something else clever to use. I could get the historical societies and city record offices involved to allow me and other moderators to post historical photos and documents. The site could utilize google maps too to see which houses have info. Each house that has info or photos would have one of these above it

[​IMG]

for you to click on and view the photos and info. Once clicked it would give you a pop up window like this,

[​IMG]

with a brief description of what content is available for that specific home.

You could look up your recently purchased home that was built in 1931 and if previous owners or a historical society has photos or info on the house you could view that info. You may find out that it was the childhood home of Robin Williams, or that the house caught fire during the great Chicago fire, or that it was the first house on the block that had a telephone or television.. who knows. The options are endless. All info being posted would be moderated as we wouldnt want someone to find out that their hone was the site of a UFO flying saucer crash... we would want info to be factual and with facts to back up whatever statement they have posted.

What do ya'll think?

thanks,
    Douglas Johnson
    "Skrach"
    www.VividlyVintage.com

9. Imagine if your Nantucket style house..was actually in Nantucket? great looking house and garage you have!

10. Roothawg

Roothawg

So, I am going to look at a 1930 Bungalow tomorrow. Anything I should be looking for, other than the obvious? The oldest house I have ever owned is a 59.

11. Now there,s some history.. Here,s the gatehouse a buddy of mine lives in. Built in 1643 with a private dungeon and schackels :eek:. My own house is from 1928. I have # 8 + the property for #2,#4,#6, that were never built. I did build 2 garages though :D.

Attached Files:

12. Roothawg

Roothawg

13. Oldstrk

Oldstrk

Heres our house 1871 and the car although not hamb fiendly was bought new by my Mom. When the 51 pickup is done I'll get anouther picture like this.

Attached Files:

Chris Nantus likes this.
  14. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

For YEARS I've been drooling over this thread. YEARS! It's been a dream of mine to own an old house forever. My wife and I recently made a big life change and moved from California to North Carolina. We were finally able to buy an old house. Needs a little TLC, after years of people doing crappy renovations and the previous owners simply not giving a damn about it, but we are in-love with it and can't wait to build memories here and mostly importantly, build a decent shop/garage in the back so I can do what I love the most. In the mean time, lots of renovations taking place, and we're trying to restore/replace any character that had been removed from the house.

The house was built in 1937 and I guess could be considered brick Tudor or maybe Cottage style. Been searching for months trying to find something with similar architecture so we can figure out what to restore the details to. If anyone has seen anything representing this style of architecture, let me know.

We're stoked...

[​IMG]

Couple inside...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And we've already outgrown the garage... BOOOO!

[​IMG]

Chris Nantus and -Brent- like this.
  15. That is stinkin' fantastic Scootermcrad!

16. Model T1

Model T1

After reading about the recent car thefts be careful how much information you post. Sure, all HAMB members are honest........... But!!!!!:mad:

Some beautiful and unusual homes here.

17. No problems here :)

Attached Files:

18. Model T1

Model T1

A porkchop or a bowl of Kibbles-N-Bits should keep them busy !:rolleyes:

19. All the bad guys can see my new house just driving down the street, somehow I still manage to sleep at night.

Like Scooter, I've been looking at this thread for years and dreaming. Finally got a house to be proud of. Built in '41, same year as my coupe...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Working on getting the garage into shape. Got a shoebox (and a lot of crap) to go in there before the snow flies...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

alfin32 and Chris Nantus like this.
  20. 1928chevycoupe

1928chevycoupe

this is the vintage spanish Los Angeles house my wife owned when I married her (we rent this out now)
    notice 3 car garage :)

Attached Files:

• mayo.jpg
      mayo.jpg
      File size:
      102.2 KB
      Views:
  21. Here's a pic of my girlfriends place it was built in 1850 as a hotel of mokelumne hill ca and the lower 3rd floor was a mortuary at one time it had also 2 hidden rooms. And of course my Buick out front sorry for the bad pic its the pnly one i had..haha ImageUploadedByTJJ1351792840.275194.jpg

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

Chris Nantus likes this.
  22. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Not a Bouv. Herd comes before food for them. Great dogs.

23. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bad ass, Big A! Actually looks like our houses share a few styling ideas. :) Is your house considered of the "Tudor" architectural flavor?

24. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

On a tangent...

Is there a good book out there or even website that covers a lot of the different home styles and what defines them as such?

25. EchoOfGecko

EchoOfGecko

26. Thought I'd throw this one in the mix. My old house (1908) and old truck ('50 F1).
    [​IMG]

Chris Nantus likes this.
  27. 55chieftan

55chieftan
    from Maryland

This was a great thread, does anyone have anything to add?

28. Felix 40

Felix 40
    from Wisconsin

I love old houses also. I've lived in a few older homes over the years.I don't care for the upkeep but you cant beat the styling. My wife and I had this Arts & Crafts Bungalow built a few years ago. We used a lot of architectural salvage in the build, bookcase room dividers, cast iron floor registers, push button light switches, All the styling but very low maintenance.

Attached Files:

Chris Nantus likes this.
  29. 4BangerDean

4BangerDean

Great house. I'm a big fan of that bungalow style. I passed on a brick one with my first wife about 15 years ago. Still kicking myself for that.
    Dean

30. 390Merc

390Merc
    from Indiana

Took a photo of this house on Washington St. in Lebanon, IN last Saturday while we were wondering down the streets lined with old cars. It was a perfect smalltown USA setting, festival, and car show.
    Not my house but while looking at it and all the detail and work it must be to even maintain an old home and keep it in this condition makes you realize that this house is probably the owner's hobby as well.

Attached Files:

Chris Nantus likes this.