Register now to get rid of these ads!

Vintage shots from days gone by!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dog427435, Dec 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chrisbcritter

Chrisbcritter

See, Ralphie? I told you you'd shoot your eye out!

2. Scumdog

Scumdog

Note the British Ford Mk 2 Zephyr in this pic - were they common in the US at all?

They were the staple diet of young guys here in NZ back in the 60's.

3. swi66

swi66

4. swi66

swi66

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Paulette Goddard
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. swi66

swi66

6. speed v8

speed v8

Still one of the best threads here!

7. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

[​IMG]

The Disbrow special was built by retired racing driver Lou Disbrow in 1917. After several years of searching we were finally able to uncover all the details of this fascinating car in a 1917 issue of The Automobile Magazine. All the interesting details and more photos are on The Old Motor.

8. jchav62

jchav62

...............:cool:

Attached Files:

9. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by Irish Mike [​IMG]

This covered bridge photo is so well composed and perfectly seasonally lit. I suppose "Turkey Run Narrows" was photographed in the first quarter of the 20th Century:confused:; anybody know WHERE this particular Turkey Run was/is?:confused: Can somebody blow this up so I can frame it and put it on the wall??? Another [FONT=Comic Sans MS, sans-serif]INSTANT CLASSIC[/FONT] on this great thread! :):):)

[​IMG]

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>[/QUOTE]

Jimi:
    A group called The Technical Edge has a great site (link below), LOADED with pix and both current and historical material on Turkey Run State Park in Indiana. Thanks to informed HAMBers (Hoosiers?:D), I got an education on Indiana's second oldest state park. Of course, this happend because I'm a nut about old cars, trucks, rail engines, bridges of all kinds, etc.!:p Below, from the site, is a NOW photo of the Turkey Run Narrows covered bridge, built in 1882. Great vintage pix at:

Guide to Turkey Run State Park in Indiana

www.turkeyrunstatepark.com

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=750 height="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top>
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][​IMG][/FONT]​

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    You can see why this is called the "narrows," in that Sugar Creek cut a narrow gap
    through bedrock. With that underpinning the bridge backwalls, this might help
    explain the bridge's survival for 130 years!

Other park attractions, mostly historical, include an early log cabin, church, settler's home and a swinging bridge. Not a commercial here.:rolleyes: It's just an exciting place, rich in geological and historic stuff. Hits a familiar note with me, as it reminds me very much of the area in Hocking County, Ohio, where I mostly grew up. Long a tourist attraction, the area is variously known as the "Seven Caves Region" and "Ohio's Scenic Wonderland."

10. Dale Fairfax

Dale Fairfax
    Member Emeritus

Back on post 54999, somebody wanted to know what the lady was wiping. I guess I'm one of those "ailroad blokes". She was cleaning the exterior of the steam locomotive while it was idle for one of its regular (and all too frequent) service stops. She has a can of "coal oil" (kerosene) and a wad of cotton waste. Her task was to clean everything she could reach-steam locomotives being notoriously dirty. They covered themselves with steam cylinder oil out of the stack combined with soot and cinders. The heavy lubricant in the rods flung itself all over the running gear. Every time they stopped (typically every hundred miles) they had several people swarm over them to make sure they were fit to make another hundred. In spite of their heavy construction and appearance of invincibility, they were self destructive and failure prone thus requiring intense maintenance. That's why, at one time, the railroads were the largest employer in the country with service facilities in every town. And that's why the Diesel knocked them off the throne so easily.

11. jchav62

jchav62

Vintage Las Vegas

Attached Files:

12. MrModelT

MrModelT

That is exactly what I have always thought of when I see this picture :D

13. scrubba

scrubba

:confused:

I'M SURE YOU MEANT TO SAY DE BEST !!!!!!!!;):p:rolleyes::cool::)

scrubba

14. Model T1

Model T1

Not only another thank you for all of the great photos, thanks for the information that is added.
    Turkey Run State Park brings back many early camping memories for our family. I'll never get caught up with this thread !;)

15. MotorCityDeuce

MotorCityDeuce

Hey Baseball Fans, anybody know where and when this was taken? Looks like a AL all star game. I recognize Gerhig and Dimaggio. Who else? Ted Williams?

16. MotorCityDeuce

MotorCityDeuce

AL All Star game? Anybody know?

17. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

Nope, Larry fine on the far left, Moe, in the middle & "Babe" on the right, better known as "Curly".

18. OKG853

OKG853
    from Indiana

Can't be Betty White. This lady only has one leg.

19. jchav62

jchav62

Henderson

Attached Files:

20. automaticslim

automaticslim
    from new jersey

Thank you!

21. jchav62

jchav62

1950's Cafe in Deming, NM

Attached Files:

22. jchav62

jchav62

The two Las Vegas's. New Mexico and Nevada.

Attached Files:

23. jchav62

jchav62

Attached Files:

24. noboD

noboD

Rocky, you can't just post a cool assed picture like that and not have some kind of explanation!! What's the story?

25. jchav62

jchav62

Hoover Dam.

Attached Files:

Pauljrestomod97 likes this.
  26. Nads

Nads
    from Hypocrisy

I had one, a rust free California LHD example, it went back to the UK, I still have a 57 Consul convertible sold new in Arizona that I'll get to one day, if I live long enough.

27. jimi'shemi291

jimi'shemi291

Right on, what Ed said.:p And any newer HAMBer who LOVES Dog's thread BUT is still wading through it, PLEASE be aware that you can VOTE a 5-star rating at the top of any page. It's easy, and it'll keep new pix coming out of the woodwork, closets, etc.:D

28. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

[​IMG]
    A locomotive and a car combined in one vehicle. Early in the 1920s, the American Locomotive Company (ALCO) joined forces with General Electric and Ingersoll-Rand to produce to a motor car for the Jay Street Connecting Railroad, Model GM-50 was essentially a diesel powered motor car, somewhat similar to an interurban car.
    via: http://www.episodeseason.com/science/weird-cars.html

29. Winmon

Winmon

30. Jim, so nice to see your way of loving your country, lot's a times i wish it would be mine, too.. this forum and especially this thread is my daily early morning coffee, and on weekend it takes 3 mugs of hot one to see what's 'nu' (hope nothing nu will ever approach), or two whisky sours to look through the friday art show, what a great bunch of comrades! after a few years in 'watching-the-Hamb'-class i'm lot's a better in overseas geography than in local things, i guess! ;) always enjoying all of your writings, keep on, this thread has already written history for me. very proud to be here!

Cheers, Carsten

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

and btw, all best wishes to NY, NJ and ND and all the other folks that were being hit, hope you had not the big mess with sandy and doing fine! i just bought lots of stuff from Kanters (eastern NJ) and they bought rubbers from Steele (ND), it's nice quality stuff and very nice and patient people, hope that they survived in best possible way! thought of 'em during installing some of my stainless stuff.. god bless you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.