Register now to get rid of these ads!

I need help IDing a Ford 302 please.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ghost of ElMirage, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

Hi everyone I just aquired a late 80s early 90s FI 302 roller motor out of wrecked Linclon. The motor was running so I grabbed it and will put it in the corner of my shop until I have a use for it. Someday I would like to build a blown small block Windsor type motor. My question is were the Lincoln motors essentailly the same as the Mustang GT and LX shortblocks and cylinder heads from that era? Also where on SBF are the casting numbers and where is a good place to find out what the casting numbers mean?
    Thanx
    Ghost

2. MUNCIE

MUNCIE
    from Houston

3. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

4. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

The Mexican block is preferred for supercharged applications and the earlier 289-302 non-rollers are also a little beefier than the roller blocks.The roller blocks will be OK if you don't get carried away with the boost you can find some good info here: www.sbftech.com on your block ID this explains it: http://www.mre-books.com/interchange/interchange2.html See Pic for too much boost and nitrous,they make a "block girdle" for 5.0's but many say it's no help.

Attached Files:

5. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

6. Lincoln MkVII LSC were essentially HO motors.

Ford parts ID

http://www.hammar.dyndns.org/~djhamma/partnumb.htm

http://sbftech.com/index.php/topic,175.0.html

7. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

Yep, but just the '88 and up ones- I bought back my '88 LSC that my ex-girlfriend pulled out in front of a minivan in, actually still drives- but has the HO engine, AOD, and slightly lower gears- seems like 3.27 or something like that. It has headers, but they are supposedly more restrictive than the Mustang versions. Was actually a pretty athletic car with the LSC suspension, cornered much better than my '69 Mach1 with the lowered a-arms and all the old Shelby- Boss 302 tricks- and the 4-wheel ABS brakes were amazingly strong, especially in the rain. Thinking maybe that whole driveline into the '52 F1...

8. lostn51

lostn51
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Tennessee

I have done this a few times to my motors, (mainly 347's) makes for one heck of a bang and big mess to clean up. If you use the girdles it really helps as I still am running the same block now for the last 6 years which is really a miracle for me. I am a firm believer in lots of nitrous and these little motors do not start making good horsepower until you send them to the outer limits. I shift mine around 9000rpm and if you want to really have a running motor put a set of 2bl Cleveland heads on it. There is no way you can build a bottom end to keep up with what those heads can handle.

The only bad thing about the stock 302 is that it is a short throw motor and if you spool it up real tight you will beat all of the piston skirts off of the pistons. That is why I like the 347's and 421's they have a longer stroke and are easier on parts.

The only thing about the 5.0's you really need to remember is that they are all pretty much the same block (except the Mexican blocks which are beefier) and if you want to run a flat tappet cam you need one for a 351. It has the same firing order as a 351 in the 302 format.

Billy

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  9. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

I'd throw it out there that some of the later Lincoln FI 5.0's were not HO's or rollers,
    and also had the earlier firing order.
    My 90 Lincoln TC is one of those.
    Just put it in a 40 actually.
    TP

10. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

Zibo as I recall all 1984 and later 302 CID or "5.0 HO" motors were roller cammed blocks and I think at one time or another Crane or Crower made a kit to retro fit earlier blocks that were not roller cam equipped. Also I know that "grampa" type Licolns werent HO motors I just want a good base block to use for stout street motor. The one I have I am gonna shitcan the entire upper end and if it is a roller block I will keep it. Also hipothetically speaking if ya took a motor with the earlier firing order and threw in a SVO B303 cam for instance wouldnt that give the more desirable firing order?

Last edited: Nov 2, 2012
  11. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

Lostn51 Why not a set of good aluminum heads? Say Trick Flow specialties or Edelbrock with a Performer RPM or Airgap intake ?

12. tjm73

tjm73

All Lincoln Mark VII LSC cars had the 5.0 HO. Essentially a Mustang GT engine. They are all roller cam from the factory. All non-LSC cars were non-roller cam. Casting numbers are little more than engineering revision codes.

13. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

14. MeanGene427

MeanGene427
    from Napa

To reinforce what I said earlier, the HO in the LSC was '88 and up- earlier LSC's had the "plain" 140 and 200hp engines. A few '87's got the 225hp HO as a rolling change- but all the '87's I've seen were 200hp. '88 was also the first year of the 16" wheels- which mine has

http://thelincolnmarkviiclub.org/documents/specifications/1987/LSC/1987LSCSpecifications.pdf

15. zibo

zibo
    from dago ca

Since you didn't specify what Lincoln you pulled it from,
    I was just giving you the heads up all 5.0's weren't HO,
    just in case the FI was removed already.
    Mine was from a grampa car!
    Yeah I think it's just a cam swap.
    TP

16. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

Roger that Zibo tahnx again

17. Yep the 8.8" Trac loks on auto trans cars are 3.27 rear gear.