Register now to get rid of these ads!

Has anybody seen or heard of these "NEW" Fords?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Waddayacare, Oct 30, 2012.

1. Don Lyon

Don Lyon

I'm not a 40 owner,but IF i was in the market for a 40,I would shell out the bucks. sure couldn't find / fix a project for that amount.

2. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

I'd say you're right on the money here....even IF Ford wanted to oversee it, how many people do you figure are still around (and able) to tell them how it was done in 1940?:)

3. You don't think Ford still has the blueprints?

How about when Randy Ema "recreates" a part from an original Duesenberg blueprint, is it not a Duesenburg part? However with the Dusenburg piece, unlike Ford, Duesenburg is no longer around. Ford still is! :confused:

4. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

Oh, I'm positive they have a print, and given enough time I'm sure a skilled craftsman could reproduce it perfectly.
    I was referring more to the way the production line ran...how much time they spent, what fit and finish was acceptable, what could be spangled, what could be reworked, what got scrapped, that sort of thing.

5. Now granted I'm watching the video which could be played up, but it seems to me like the fit is spot on. Even the Ford licensing manager states that the fit is up to Ford's specs. The finish is up to the end user.

Let me be clear on one aspect.

For those that may not know, reproduction parts are usually copied off of an original or N.O.S. part. The original part is carefully measured however is rarely spot on perfect. However, parts that are recreated off of the original blueprints IMO are no different than the originals as long as they are recreated the same exact way using the same (or better) materials.

This is why I think this '40 Ford is as much today as a '40 Ford was back in 1940.

The only difference I can see is that it's not made by U.A.W. workers. But then maybe that's why it's affordable.

6. EdselRich

EdselRich

Check and mate. . .

Chrome 'n' Flake

7. Max Grody

Max Grody
    from Ky

My opinion is that the fit and finish of a typical '40 Ford was far from perfect when it rolled off the assembly line. I know the couple of well-used ones I've owned weren't put together very well. I've seen pictures of new ones waiting to be sold that had uneven door and hood gaps and mis-aligned trim. My guess is that the new ones will be built with more precision than was possible when the originals were built.

8. when we reproduced Model a hinges,we didn't have any blueprints or Ford's blessing or approval for them,we just reversed engineered them from an acceptable original and improved them,and used modern materials and methods.We have hundreds of happy customers that have purchased them and retrofitted them with their existing Ford body or usable original hinge pieces,the cost to get them to this level most people do not understand what it takes in engineering and labor cost to get them to that level,there aren't many who would put their money and balls on the line to undertake such a gamble especially in this shitty economy.I would consider the '40 more Ford than Brookville's bodies due to Ford being involved with the process,even being with licensing permits it does have somewhat an involvement,so take into account part of that 15K does go the the U.A.W.pension in some way or another.JMHO

9. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

No matter how nice it is,if its not made in 1940 its not real.I want the history.Its just a kit car...enough said.

10. Shane Spencer

Shane Spencer

im sorry dude but i gotta agree with metalliatic. 15,500 is a god damn joke. how is that hot rodding, dump almost 16k into a skeleton with no hood or fenders. i know the average at home hot rodder cant afford this and even if they could why? i saw the body in person at carlisle and honestly it was incredibly underwhelming. im all for bob drake, and dennis carpenters products, i bought quite a few for my 54 ford and all were exceptional. but that price is nuts, and i guarantee you can find a 40 ford body for less than that if you take the time and search your ass off for deals, with a motor and trans no less. there was a great thread a few months back about a low dollar 40 ford build. idk seems crazy to me

11. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

You and the other guy are entitled to your grossly misinformed opinions and to make your own choices.

But the rest of us are equally entitled to form our own opinions and act accordingly.

PROPWASH got it right in post #8 !

Ray

12. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Do they make a bonnet (Hood) or must that be sourced elsewhere?
    Could not find one on the web site or am I just blind!!??

Doc?

13. From what I see in the video it looks like you can buy a complete body.

14. 47chevycoupe

47chevycoupe
    from Finland

So when the original Ford floors, rain gutters are rusted beyond repair what do you do?

Cut a good coupe up for the pieces?
    Do you have a huge hidden supply of original production tin?
    What about the patch panels, they were not made in 1940.

Can you find me a rust free 40 coupe for 15K? I will take it if there is one out there.

If I find a rusty coupe and a rust free sedan. I could cut the sedan apart and put the coupe roof and quarters on it. I would have an original 40 coupe or would I?

15. Model T1

Model T1

Where did the term Deuce come from?

Quote:
    <TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=6 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: 1px inset; BORDER-LEFT: 1px inset; BORDER-TOP: 1px inset; BORDER-RIGHT: 1px inset" class=alt2>Originally Posted by Model T1 [​IMG]
    Oh NO! Yet another thread on the repop 40 Ford !:mad::rolleyes::eek:
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    Or what's an AV-8?
    I love 1940 Fords and 1932 Fords. But enough is enough! Did anyone even mention those "FORD" bodies are not even American made? :eek: Henry's rollin over in his grave!

16. GOATROPER02

GOATROPER02
    from OHIO

As a manufacture of some vintage engine parts, I have first hand knowledge of what it takes to reproduce or design new parts.....

You have no idea of costs it takes from print to finished product....or statements like this wouldn't be made about part costs on a limited market item.

Just how many real die stamped Ford "deals" are out there for the masses?
    You don't figure one day that old tin will dry up?
    Don't you think that having new on the market keeps the originals price in check.....as they become extinct?

How is it hot rodding? How is it not ?
    Back in the day you bought speed parts as they became available.

This sport/hobby has all levels of players....not everybody has the means to have a new 40 Ford body,A new trifive chevy body,brookville body..... that's life.

Life is also a food chain.... And parts trickle down..... And somewhere down the line somebody will pay full tilt for new tin.... Get bored with the project/ change direction,and some guy will get the option to pick up that new tin for half price.

That's hot rodding isn't it?

Tony

17. metalshapes

metalshapes

I believe Ford had factories all over Europe, a factory in Japan, and even a licence agreement with Russia.

He probably didnt care where his stuff was made, as long as he got his cut.

18. Mopar Jack

Mopar Jack

I see 47chevycoupe that went right over your head,your talking about parts,where talking about cars...if somebody is putting a car back together,they should use any means to restore it...what im saying is I DONT LIKE KIT CARS!!!...AND THAT IS WHAT THAT IS!!!

19. 47chevycoupe

47chevycoupe
    from Finland

Well said

20. True! And when you're all done you'll have a cobbed up, patched up rotted P.O.S. that when you figure in your time you'll have at least 15k into it and it will still be a cobbed up, patched up rotted P.O.S. The difference is that the one you "saved" took you 5 or more years before you get to drive it IF you didn't lose interest in it by then.

Neither is your American badged daily driver. So what's your point?

Give this man a cigar! :cool:

Pass out 1 more cigar.

21. So here are two options to consider, well until someone invents a time machine and travels back to 1940 and gets Ford to make up about 100,000 extra bodies for future hot rodders.

1: No one makes a repop body and the only ones available were the ones made in 1940. In the coming years when younger people want to get into hotrodding, no one can afford a 1940 body as there are less and less of them and the one's left are getting more and more expensive. End result Barret Jackson auctions featuring $100K rust buckets and the hobby dies because no one can afford to get into it.

2: People make repop bodies, sure they are not the exact ones that rolled off the production line in 1940 however they allow people for years to come to create their favorite hotrod or old car. As time passes, the costs involved in setting up the dies has been well and truly paid for so the costs of the bodies is only affected by CPI increases and the cost of the steel. End result, hobby continues and there are a lot more cars to enjoy.

I know which option I prefer.

Some people are like the guy who when diagnosed with prostate cancer and told that the treatment may stop him having sex, would prefer to die.

22. seabeecmc

seabeecmc
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hey, if it's out of your league perhaps you need more education to enable you to get a higher paying job. It's all relative. Ron

23. EdselRich

EdselRich

Not all of us have that privilege. I currently work 70+ hours a week to keep a roof over my family's head. My only hope at a 40 is gonna be a 401k loan.

Chrome 'n' Flake

24. Look, I never intended this thread to be a drama-fest. My intentions were simply to make aware that there IS a viable alternative to an overpriced rotted car that may take years and countless dollars to place back in service.

After what I saw sell at an estate auction, this remake '40 body is just a smarter and cheaper way to go.

As a refresher: The '40 at the auction was edgy, no drivetrain, no interior, no wheels or tires, had a poor restoration needing to be completely redone to make right BUT supposively had a Mustang II front.

SOLD for $9500.00 + 10% buyers premium ($950.00) + 8% Tax ($836.00) for a TOTAL OF $11,286.00. Just $4214.00 away from buying a brand new body and being much further ahead WITH a solid start.

25. derbydad276

derbydad276

I have the luxury of growing up in in metro detroit and knowing some of the Geee.... I didnt know that info because I had family or friends of family that worked for the non ford ...(ford) companies

larry.... look up murray body company or briggs body company who made the bodies for ford

26. D.SCOTT

D.SCOTT

I love original fords, but if I had the cash I'd buy one a them in a heartbeat! I'm all for everyone being entitled to their opinion, but, screw the negativity, ain't this supposed to be fun?!

27. Truckedup

Truckedup

Who will be the first to buy the new body ...Then leave it outside in the weather for the correct patina ?:rolleyes:
    Suppose a guy builds a car using the new body....How many guys could tell it a repop body? A few ?

28. pug man

pug man
    from louisiana

Well I don't see a thing wrong with it and with Ford watching over it....

29. toranaback

toranaback

If i had a spare $15,500 one of them would be mine very soon. over here in australia that would get you a pile of rust so i thank you for giving us another chance to keep these beautiful models on oour roads. hope I can one day afford to have one . i love 40 fords!
    Cheers,
    Mick

30. Larry T

Larry T

I do know there are Murray bodied Fords, but don't know much about them. Were the cars assembled by Ford or outside vendors using Ford rolling chassis? Did they sell directly to the public or through Ford?

As long as we're digging into history, what about Body by Fisher?