Register now to get rid of these ads!

Growing up, I remember...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 3wLarry, May 27, 2010.

1. klawockvet

klawockvet
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Wanting a ride to school and getting Lecture #145 which was how the parents walked 5 miles to school in a blizzard. Uphill both ways.
    Wanting a dime for the Good Humor Man and getting Lecture 156 about how they used to have to tear the couch apart to get a few pennies to buy a loaf of bread.

2. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

Circling the gas station ringing the bells with our bikes till someone came running out to scare us away. Still want one of those!

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

3. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

I remember when

A 3-speed bike was a big deal

Only a Harley and my bike with balloons on the spokes made that sound

Swearing in public was bad, and swearing around parents could be the end

Kids respected adults and adults respected one another

Stores were closed on Sunday

We had gas wars

We knew what the price of gas would be tomorrow, next week , next year

TV was entertaining and not so violent

4. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

5. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

... when kids fought with fists
    ... Sat. morning cartoons till 12 noon
    ... "Monster Movie Matinee" Sat. @ 1pm
    ... girls had kooties
    ... blowing up frogs on the 4th of July
    ... fire crackers that really WOULD blow your hand off
    ... go karts
    ... banana seat bikes
    ... big block cars EVERYWHERE
    ... A/C in a car was optional
    ... Keds sneakersand P.F. Flyer sneakers
    ... old threads about the old days

6. The smell of the Ol' Man's cigerette even in the roadster.

Restaurants without smoking sections.

Walnut shell or saw dust tires for winter driving, chains for mountain passes.

Getting flipped over the bars of a Norton Atlas.

Garages that smelled of solvent.

Pulling a project home with a chain.

Radios with a wonder bar.

Cars with optional heaters.

Dune Buggies made from 15 dollar sedans with the body cut off.

A small coke and an order of fries 17 cents.

18 cent burgers.

50 cents got you in a movie and a big candy bar.

Children running and playing in the neighborhood.

One speed bicycles, and pogo sticks.

Dutch rubs and Indian burns. Calling Indians Indians (the wife still says she's an American Indian if you're family)

Skating rinks.

Skates with a key, and skate boards were a real board with skates nailed on them.

beatnics and after that hippies. Beatnics were OK, hippies were not.

Edit:

never mind I probably already posted on this thread. :eek:

7. $10.00 lids....

8. BISHOP

BISHOP

OOOOh Yea, I remember lids.
    I bet alot of people do, or dont.

I think that term started fading out in the 80s.

Remember gas pumps that had a little ball in a globe that would spin around as the gas flowed through it.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  9. kennkat

kennkat

Dad sending me to the gas station with "4bits" & a gallon can.... I would come home with his gallon of gas, 2 candy bars & change in my pocket.......

Dan Moon with a full head of hair (RIP Dean)

Learning to drive... in a ww2 military jeep on the remains of a Japanese "internment camp"......

The "Buzz" of that Willys at 45mph....

My first ride in a straight axle Hot Rod... a '56 chevy

Buying a "lid" (or 2)

The dip in the "Top End" @ OCIR...

My first 9 sec pass.....

My first 1/4 mile pass....

My hair....

10. kennkat

kennkat

(DEAN!) sorry

11. 53mercury

53mercury

Butchering the mastodon and drawing on the cave walls.:) Mike

12. 57Custom300

57Custom300
    from Arizona

Going to one of those "corner of the alley" stores in Detroit with .25 and buy an RC cola & Hostess CupCakes. Took the empty bottle back in for the .02 and get bubblegum. Sugared up for the day.

Really wished I could have listened to Wolfman Jack in the day. Didn't know about him until I got drafted & shipped to Ca. But we did have
    Lee Alan & his "fine tone horn".

Fred Wolf broadcasting the races at the state fairgrounds on channel 7.

I remember the family down the street was pretty poor & the father drove a very old car. Car had running boards & his sons would jump on the boards when he would come home from work. I'd love to have that car now.

Playing baseball with all the guys when we got older (12-13) & having the police, mailman, delivery trucks & others stop and watch us playball for awhile. We thought we were pretty good, they must have too.

13. Sliding your 10 cent coke through the cold water maze and out the metal trap-door of those old coke machines. Don't loose your grip on the bottle while pulling it out because the trap-door only opened once.
    And pushing the neighbor's 41 chevy down the street a ways because he parked it right under our basketball hoop bolted to the telephone pole...again!

14. Porta walls torn and flapping 'cause ya curbed 'em, flat heads vapor locking, reversing "on the tree" shift lever for "speed shifting", head liner dye, pinky finger hooked on vent window handle, hair oil soaked duck tails. unfiltered cigarettes, black lunch boxes with bologna and mustard samiches, only a few "loose" girls in high school (I took out as many as I could) car coats, etc. Oh the memories!

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  15. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

I have a Pepsi cooler like that......it is my flower box for my garage.

16. Yea but prior to the ounce there were 3 finger lids and 4 finger lids but nickle bags were always 2 fingers.

Learning to drive before I learned to drive, the old guy across te street always left the keys in his old chrysler. it was one of those old heaps with the semi automatic. We always put gas in it before we returned it. :eek: :eek:

17. Riding my Doodle bug around the block to the gas station and getting ten cents worth of gas.
    Taking my new tires down to Stone Bros. shop and having them trimed with a cutter to make them round.
    Watching the white dog in a snow storm on our new TV, at least that is what my dad said was on it.
    Mowing the yard with a push mower & it did not have any motor on it.

18. Ha TV was a big wodden box and only got 3 channels even though we lived in a major city.

Walking and swimming at the beach with my big sister.

I remember some ugly things as well but why clutter up a good thread.

19. Listening to my Uncle Leo tell my dad his oldest kid blew the transmission out of the family's black 53 chrysler again! He thought there must be some defect in those mopar trannys but I knew Leo laid a lotta rubber with that old 331 hemi, sidestepping the fluid-drive clutch.

20. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I remember being that very first amoeba and my cell splitting for that first time......HA! Beat that!:rolleyes:

Doc.

21. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Outdoor shit house, no hot water in the house, wood stoves, piss pots upstairs, getting dressed in bed under the covers because it was so cold, snow piling up on the inside window sills, making ice cream out of snow, potato sandwiches, moving the shit house every few years, yup it was a wonderful time.

22. teejay99

teejay99

Hey , 57Custom300 ...that was Lee Allen and his PAKISTANY horn :) .....Joel Sebastian ( had a Carson top on his car ) , Don Z at midnight ....cruisin' Windsor and over to Detroit for the " American Chicks " was a lot of fun on a Friday or Saturday night . Did it often .

....and you're right , I wish we had the Wolfman back then .

T

23. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Damn young'uns! In your horseless carriages! Speeding past and scaring my trusty old horse and making us swerve off the trail. Thats a frightening 5 minutes, battling the reins!!
    It's of the Devil I tell you! THE DEVIL!!
    No good will come of this!!

Doc.

24. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

when a handshake was a "contract"

25. Sweepspear

Sweepspear

Playing cards held onto your bike with a clothespin so the cards made that "engine" sound as they flapped through the spokes.

It always seemed like pop tasted better when it came from one of those machines too!

26. Sometimes the pop came out so cold that it got ice on the top when you opened it. I loved those ol water bath machines.

27. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

My Dad pulling into a gas station and telling the attendant, (Remember those?) "Gimme' a bucks regular".
    Or for that matter, remember Ethyl gas?

I remember trying to decide if I should spend my dime on a candy bar, a can of pop, an ice cream bar, or a small "Pony Toy".

28. I remember my mom getting mad because the Ol' man got a Tiger in his tank and her name was Ethyl. :p

gas wars. Now there is something that you never see anymore.

29. Bad Merc

Bad Merc
    from Chi-town

I remember going to the local pool hall and playing the new pinball machine for 10cents. I was pretty good and used to get yelled at because I won enough free games to sit their most of the day :)

I remember shoveling driveways on a snow day in the morning to earn $3 or $4 bucks so we could go and have lunch at Mc Donald's! I also could never forget Mom making me a cup of hot chocolate on those cold snow days before we walked to school...

30. gutpile

gutpile
    from Texas

laying on the back dash of the impala when taking a family outing. making skateboards out of steel clamp on skates. starting your car without a key because you dont turn the ignition to off, when your running around, still have that in my 64, including foot dimmer. Know what a dwell meter is for and how to use it. bb gun wars. cox dragster races in the street. We would flip our bike over and have someone hand pedal it while we stuck the cox drag car wheel on the bike wheel to get it started. My granpa was walking around in the mall and some skimpy dress girls walk by an he said "I use to pay money to see that much skin."