Register now to get rid of these ads!

'32 3 window to a roadster?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by neverdun, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Before I get flamed which I am sure will happen, I have a glass '32. From what I can find in pictures a '33-'34 roadster looks alot like a '32 3 window body. Has anyone converted their 3 window into a roadster? Pictures please. If not, anyone looking to trade a glass roadster body for a 3 window?
    Thanks

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

First, no appoligies for a glass car needed. I actually get tired of it. Second, I've never seen a '33-'34 that looked anything like a '32. The difference is night and day. I like 34's more than 32's.

3. If you look at a 33 from the firewall back it looks an awful lot like a 32. Body lines and shape are almost identical. Or maybe its just me...

4. F&J

F&J

5. jimn3d

jimn3d

Roadsters don't have windows. My advice is leave it alone.. Sell it and buy a roadster or roadster project. If you cut is you will end up with something like a cabriolet but it most likely will not look right.

6. See above post. The car was built in the 60's and looks very nice. Nobody said it would have windows. Maybe a duval type windshield but that would be it. Selling it and getting a roadster would be my first option too. trades?

7. badshifter

badshifter

It's just you.
    Nothing looks the same.
    Now you can make a 33 3 window look like a 33 Roadster in about 30 minutes with a sawzall.

8. I guess it is just me...

Attached Files:

9. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

For one thing, the trunks aren't even close. Lines where the hood meets the cowl are different. Even more and that's just glancing.

10. OK! Thanks for your opinion. Back to the topic.......

11. Deuce Roadster

Deuce Roadster
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

It is NOT a 32 either :eek:

12. No shit! Thanks for all your help.

13. Yes there are some similarities between the model 40 (33 34) and the 32 3 window coupe . The suicide doors have the same curve ect. ...having said that they are very different in lots of other ways. I say if you have the body already cut the top off and call it a 32 roadster with longer suicide doors....why not it might be very cool! Oh interestingly ,the blue roadster you posted was once a coupe so there you go!

14. You said a 32 3W looks like a 33-34 roadster...then you show a 33 3W and a 34 roadster...I think that is where the comment comes from.

If you think it'll look OK cut her up.

15. kennkat

kennkat

It's FIBERGLASS, not crap, but a very easily workable material for the average guy..... Ok, slightly above average guy. Anyway Make it how YOU want it! That's Hot Rodding..

16. Johnny, Chris and kenkat
    Thanks. I know they are a 33 and 34, that's why i put them there to compare with the lines of a 32. I guess I should have put a 32 in there too. I think the suicide doors would make getting in and out much easier than the small doors on the normal 32. I'm guessing thats why ford did it in 33. I'm not knocking the glass part, I just wouldn't cut up real steel. I would sell it and buy one of each in glass....;)>

17. I hear what you are saying and im sure its been done in the 40s and 50s to steel 3Ws. By the sounds of how you want it, ie; Duvall screan etc it should be very cool if the cars style stays period focused. You will get flack from those who dont get it but so what,go for it and make it work. JW

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  18. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

Not quite a roadster, but here's My caboilet that I built from a 3/window......

Attached Files:

19. jackandeuces

jackandeuces

By the way from bodyline down 33/34 sedan doors are same shape and size as 32 3/w, and will fit the hole....

20. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What's the body worth? Who's is it? How well is it done? Honestly, how well, not "I think it's perfect...", how would it hold up to a picky bastard? Glued in flush glass or a dedicated windshield frame? If there's positive and attractive answers to the above questions you might be within an affordable percentage of a Brookville body by selling off what you have. "Real" roadsters always bring more than "made up" Made up bodies live with a stigma that never goes away. "Well I don't give a shit about value..." is false bravado that bites you in the ass when 'that day' comes.

If you really want a roadster, build it and build it right. Nothing wrong with investing in yourself, investing in the future. You'd have decades of pride and ownership behind it. Unless you wear a size 22 shoe, getting in and out is but a few seconds of the driving experience. As far as "the same", to my eye they're pretty far apart, and not just the door issue.

21. It's just you,,they look nothing alike with the exception of them both having 3 windows. HRP

22. Doodlrodz

Doodlrodz
    Member Emeritus

Here's one.

Attached Files:

23. F&J

F&J

Where are some other pics of this one? It looks great from what I can see. Lots of work there.

24. prpmmp

prpmmp

If you decide to cut the roof off I may be interested in buying the roof! Pete

25. Harms Way

Harms Way

Back in the 70's I was looking for another 32 Ford coupe or roadster (I already had one I bought for $275.00)... A buddy of mine said he had a friend that had one but the doors were welded shut.

When he told me the name, it was a guy I had met back in the late 60's who had a 3 Window,... but had dropped out of sight. I called him and he told me the sad tale of looking at the 3 Window,.... then looking at the Beach Boys "shut down" album,... and really wanting a roadster. so this old friend of mine did this in the 60's.... He was embarrassed and it didn't see the light of day until I bought it in the 70's.... (for $250.00 with a 283/ Speed-Jem adapter to a 39 trans and a 40 rear)

The chassis went under a real Deuce Roadster I had along with the lights and Rad shell (if I remember right) ... and the body was sold and cut up to fix a couple 32' 3/W's that were hurt (to the best of my knowledge) And a guy with a Model A Phaeton got the windshield ..... It really didn't look like a 33/34... the cowl line is all wrong... there are a lot of differences.

But hey guys,..... crazy stuff was going on in the 60's !

[​IMG]

26. Thanks for al the replies. My coupe will be heading to Texas on Monday and a roadster will be coming back.

27. Well, the roadster is here. Now to start de-streetrodding it.

28. picture

Attached Files: