Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Auto racing 1894-1942

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kurtis, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Vitesse

Vitesse
    from Bath, UK

I live in hope that some day I'll find a nice set of both of those in the back of a charity shop - with a mint set of the lovely stamps The Autocar also issued tucked inside. All for a fiver.

Then, back in the real world ... :rolleyes:

2. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

3. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

is there any extant information on these Essex race cars?

4. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

5. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. Kume

Kume

I love the scuttle and bonnet on that Stafford - very rudimentary!

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG] Tiny Gould had this car in his closeout auction years ago, I think it went to England. Bob

8. T-Head

T-Head
    from Paradise.

[​IMG]

We just posted this wonderful and rare photo of one of the Pope-Hartford racing team cars that ran in the 1910 Vanderbilt cup race, along with a great photo of its sister car and a bunch of interesting information.

9. saacha

saacha
    from cloud 9

Juan Manuel Fangio at the wheel of this Bob Tail Ford T, as much as I know this is 1936 and the car belonged to Francisco Naranjo. The image comes from a "cut and paste book" put together many years ago by a Fangio fan, that I got to see last night, took a picture with my cell phone. Wonder if this car was copied from the US bob tails?

Attached Files:

10. ZigZagZ

ZigZagZ
    from LA

Here is a fellow that knew a thing or 2 about Model T's. The photo was taken in 1943. Can anyone identify the mill that Art has his hand on?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2012
  11. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  12. ZigZagZ

ZigZagZ
    from LA

I found the photo in the special collections department of the University of New Orleans Library. It was from a Higgins Company Magazine called "Eureka". The library did not have a complete collection, and the issues they had were in very poor condition. The pages were very brittle, and were literally crumbling apart in my hands.

I'm not sure about the engine in the photograph. Higgins built PT Boats for the Navy, and I believe those used V-12 Packard engines. Higgins also built Landing Craft that were powered by Gray Marine Diesels. Supposedly Mr. Chevrolet was hired by A.J. Higgins and Peston Tucker to build aviation engines for C-76 Curtis flying boats, but that project was cancelled by the War Department.

13. saacha

saacha
    from cloud 9

From the british magazine The Automobile, October 2012 last page:

...But the post of track surgeon also had its lighter side. In the 1920's the BARC ambulance was a Model T Ford, at a time when there was still a certain amount of snobbery about the humble Tin Lizzie. After a crash, a semi-conscious driver was about to be loaded into the ambulance when he suddenly asked, "Is it a Ford ?". "Yes it is" came the reply. "your not taking me to hospital in a Ford" the snooty driver retorted vehemently - and refused to travel in it.

14. fur biscuit

fur biscuit
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

next year there is to be a retracing of the '03 Paris-Madrid, anyone across the pond aware of this?

15. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Art Smith in what looks like another Henderson powered midget.

Attached Files:

16. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Idunno

Attached Files:

17. jimdillon

jimdillon

Bob, not too familiar with the little car but the larger mount is Oldfield in his Delage. Do you have a date on this pic? Just curious as he ended up replacing the original engine and replacing with a Miller four.

The next pic is a little dark but appears to be the Premier at the Speedway, where it appeared on a number of occasions-Jim

18. saacha

saacha
    from cloud 9

ERNEST HENRY/LUCIEN PICKER/HORACIO ANASAGASTI

Just a few days ago I purchased the book Anasagasti written by Guillermo Sanchez, that coincides with the production of these Argentine cars 100 years ago. Built in Buenos Aires it is estimated 50 cars were built till the beginning of WWI, equipped with Ballot 12 and 15 CV engines.
    In the first part I found some curiosities , like different bodies or the car that was registered in New South Wales, Australia.
    But what really struck me like ligtningh was the Anasagasi, Picker,Ernest Henry connection. Horacio Anasagasi orders a car from Picker who worked with Henry, the car was to engage in the Coupe de l’ auto 1913. Just like the Labor nautical and aeronautical engines made by these Swiss engineers, the Anasagasti car has twin cams on the lower side of the block, perhaps the link before the Peugeot desingned by Henry and the Charlatans?.
    Attach D'Avaray at the wheel Coup de l' auto 1913 and Labor engine.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  19. The37Kid

The37Kid

Bob, I think this is one of the cars that was powered by a Harley Twin. Later on some got a Henderson4 upgrade. [​IMG]

20. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Art Smith used Harley engines in his Baby Vandebilt cars in 1915.Vanderbilt was seizing the opportunity of the panAmerican Exhibiton to stage one of his Vanderbilt Cup series in San Francisco.

Smith had a gaggle of these little cars made for the occasion as well.He also loaded them up and took them to Japan in 1915-16.

Attached Files:

21. noboD

noboD

I was thinking the same on the Premier, my favorite car in the Indy musuem. I THINK it was 927? cubic inches in a OHC hemi four cylinder, would love to hear it roar. Woops, 923 1/2 CI, like that would make much differance.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  22. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

More of Smith's Baby Vanderbilt cars...

Attached Files:

23. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

I like the image of the car being loaded on the ship headed to Japan.

Attached Files:

24. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

Bob,I did some more research and found the Harley info.The engineering was helped out by the San Francisco Harley dealer,still in business.Owned by the same family.

25. ehdubya

ehdubya

26. banjeaux bob

banjeaux bob
    from alaska

That's where I borrowed them from! Great article.I'm wondering if the Henderson powered midget from ebay was one of these cars?

27. The37Kid

The37Kid

28. The37Kid

The37Kid

[​IMG]This is one of the restored originals. It is somewere in California. Bob

29. noboD

noboD

With those tires it looks like the Pilsbury doughboy should be driving it.

30. ... or the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man!

Hope you North-Easters stay safe through the coming storm- just talked with my folks and Philly is locked down for the next 48 hours. Will be praying for you guys!!!