Register now to get rid of these ads!

Heavy Duty Engine Stand

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BashingTin, Oct 27, 2012.

1. BashingTin

BashingTin

Thanks for all the kind words!

I agree with several replies that the casters are the weak link. I think they are rated for something like 375 pounds each. They are cast iron with rubber tires. The rubber I'm sure will make it hard to roll when there is some real weight on it. The stand is probably close to 300 pounds by itself fully dressed with all the tooling. So far it rolls pretty smooth with just the block.

I will keep my eyes open for some good steel casters in the 500+ range. Casters with brakes would be nice too.

Thanks again everyone,

David

Last edited: Oct 28, 2012
  2. CH3NO2JAY

CH3NO2JAY
    from Chicago

KILLER work, I love it...

3. That is one incredible piece of work - well done!

4. jbrittonjr

jbrittonjr

5. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

Thanks so much for sharing that step-by-step build with us. Excellent photos and full explanations. I believe we have finally seen something that actually has enough COWBELL.

dj

6. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

like shooting rabbits with an elephant gun...:eek:

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  7. Man that's nice.

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  8. hotroddonnie

hotroddonnie

WOW!!! Just a work of art.

9. You´re crazy man! this is a admirable work

10. ed_v

ed_v
    from Kentucky

Amazing.... simply amazing.

The talent of some people on this board are beyond words. Thank you very much for sharing.

Ed

11. Cant wait to see the car build! save this for tech week...

12. indyjps

indyjps

I would think you can trade machining services on just about any part of your car build you need help with. Find a painter that races and you'll be in good shape.

13. Koolman

Koolman

THAT IS AMAZING! I can see 35 years of skill and experienced.

14. Stroker McGurk

Stroker McGurk
    from Canada

What?...Harbor Freight was out of engine stands?

Kidding....great work

15. Harvey29

Harvey29
    from kansas

Sure beats my $10 swap meet stand

16. jfg455

jfg455
    from NH

more like shooting flys with a Howitzer! :D

Awesome work on the stand. People ask what it would sell for. We had one like it for Catapiller engines when I worked at a GM medium duty dealer. It was $3499 bare, no adapters. It was made with a huge cast iron base but the head unit was a lot like yours. we made adapters to hold Allison transmissions, Duramax motors, rear end housings and hubs for it. it was awesome. Probably could have bolted a frame to it and used it for a rotissery!

17. Very nice work!

18. tinmann

tinmann

Wow, what an amazing piece of fab work and an even more amazing step by step pictoral how-to. I am a High School Metal Shop teacher and I just bought an indexing head with plates. I am NOT a trained machinist and I am trying to see how I can fit this tool into what we do. Your splines seem like something very do-able. Can you show me the tool you used to measure the depth of the splines as you broached?

19. barstowpo

barstowpo

How did you determine the hole locations for your face plate? They look very symmetrical.

20. Hotrodmyk

Hotrodmyk
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

GREAT post and Great work!

21. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

I wish I had your talent

22. boooooob

boooooob

BashingTin

Man, if I COULD/did build something like that I wouldn't want to use it..I would just want to look at it..:D:D:D THAT IS PRETTY:D/REALLY TUFF

boooooob

23. BashingTin

BashingTin

I use the help of gauge pins to measure the contact diameter of the spline. Because the spline I cut for this project had an odd number of teeth, I had to use three small equally sized pins placed in between the teeth of the internal spline I'm cutting. I sized them to something close to touching the contact diameter, with the outer pins all held in place by a larger diameter pin in the middle. It helps if you use a jewelers loop to get in and see what's happening. As I cut each tooth deeper, the middle pin gets bigger. Hench, my ability to measure a change in diameter.

There was some fussing and guessing that I needed to do. This was because I did not have a drawing of the original spline of the gearbox input shaft. It helps if you've cut a few internal splines before. But if you're careful and sneak up on it, you will usually hit your target without going over.

24. vtx1800

vtx1800
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That, to me, is a work of functional art. You've forgotten more than I will ever know!

25. BashingTin

BashingTin

I took careful measurements of the locations of each hole in the block. If a part is not too big, I will carefully place it up on the milling machine table, and insert pins in the holes to find the locations of each. I use the glass scale (DRO) to take my measurements.

There is some guessing that happens too. I may find a half dozen holes that seem to follow a pattern, but one hole is off by only a few thou. On closer inspection I may find that the hole it'self is warn or damaged a little. If that's the case, I will adjust my dimension to follow the pattern. If the hole is off by more than 10 thou, I will study it more carefully and determine what's really going on.

Not having original prints of a part as complex as an engine block can be challenging when you're trying to figure out where stuff is supposed to be.

26. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

There's no kill like overkill, but that's in a whole 'nother league!

Damn fine work.

-Brad

27. Mattilac

Mattilac

28. Ruggie

Ruggie

That's awesome nice job.

29. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Dam thats nice, and made in the US ofA

30. I feel inadequate after having seen this, but I am so glad I did!

Thank You! :)