Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just a (depressing) observation...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by white64, Oct 25, 2012.

1. I didn't feel like reading the whole seven pages but just wanted to add my depressing observation:
    The most depressing thing I have noticed over the years is that young pretty girls seldom come out to the hot rod events. That used to be my favorite part of the hobby.Those are the ones we need to get involved in this so I can admire the beauty again.
    Now all the females are my age and I am sure they think the same way when seeing us old fat gray farts. :(
    :D

2. SinisterCustom

SinisterCustom

Guys building Hondas and Supras today are NO DIFFERENT than fellas building Model A's in 1940........
    You may not see the cars as "hotrods"...but the guys building them are hotrodders.......:D

3. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

True, my nephew has a Suburu WRX STI that is really tricked out. I have never driven a faster car and I've had some pretty quick muscle cars and Hot Rods. I just prefer my horsepower from cubic inches:)

4. I prefer my horsepower NOT to sound like a bumble bee fart!

5. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

you want the young girls, you gotta get the young guys to attract them. A bunch of chubby, bald, 50 year old men aint going to do it, unless, maybe, you have twenties falling out of your pockets:)

6. fastlane666

fastlane666

my father who is dead brought me into this hobbie nearly when i was born. i'm 39. he tought my first brake job at 8 and then welding. i got my first job in a bodyshop at the age of ten, i fed the dogs and cleaned the toilets and whatever else i had to do to sand a car finally. i am noticing a trend lately a lot of you older folks are realizing you can't take all of this stuff with you when you die.(not being morbid here just mortal) and now you are allowing some of us youger guys to carry the torch. we are out there and we live the life. but we where black t-shirts and tattooes, and drink imported beer.

7. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

IMPORTED BEER???!!! Geez, that tears it!

8. heartoftexasrod

heartoftexasrod
    from Brady, Tx

We've got to get these pieces of art out and drive 'em, let the young kids know you've got to start somewhere then build up to the truly desirable.
    Like in women as in cars, our tastes change, a fifty year old women would have been someone's mom back then but now my 50 year old wife looks pretty hot!
    My dad started out w/ Ts and As now he's evolved to the '50s, our generation will do the same, just drive 'em

9. Don't worry, be happy! Live your own life and get out there in your rod.

When you consider all the possible hobbies out there, the old car hobby in all it's forms is probably the strongest of them all.

A whole lot of you guys on this forum have interest in other vehicles than the confines of this forum allow, I do too.The problem that arises here is that we rodders are only one facet out of many in the old car game......it does not follow that we should bag every other facet just to show that we belong here....life will go on. The hobby/ lifestyle/ sport will survive.....we need to embrace it all.....it may evolve some, but there will be 30's/40's/ 50's cars and rods on the road until other (political) forces come into play to make them museum pieces.

I do believe that the tuners of today are the hotrodders of today....and the tech skills needed to do that right are much greater than the skills I need to keep my old beasts on the road.

Let's just give our children the option to know about the history of automobilia and let them decide......some will swing our way and some won't......thats the natural order of things.

There are literally millions of people on this planet to whom cars are just a better option than walking.....we can't help them.:D

10. I just carry around a sign that says help me find my puppy. :rolleyes:

If I have to do young I personally prefer young women, of course I think young is my daughters age. 40 year olds don't really mind balding men, I don't seem to have that problem but it may be a problem someday. ;)

11. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

IMO
    Televised actions are the number one factor in price increases in the last few years.

When you give a bunch of rich egomaniacs a public forum to show how far they can pee …… all the sheep want to play.

12. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

^^lot of truth in that...

13. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

maybe someday we will see a slogan at the GNRS: " SPONSORED BY DEPENDS, THE HOTRODDERS CHOICE":)

14. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

But that result is only temporary, looked what happened to the "Chopper" market.

15. 296 V8

296 V8
    BANNED
    from Nor~Cal

Yeah but its kinda like fuel …. it spikes like a sob but never comes back down all the way / they never pull all the way out :eek:

16. Ratrod37

Ratrod37

I don't worry one second about what is going to happen to this hobby when i'm dead because I'll be dead!!! My guess is that 3/4 of our stuff will end up in dumpsters or at the scrap yard because our wives or kids will want to park their everyday car in the garage. All the other stuff will be sold to the younger guys for pennies on the dollar.That's how I acquired a lot of my stuff, pretty much all my old stuff was once owned by someone that is dead now. It's just the cycle of life for our junk. Just enjoy it while your here and let your family worry about what is going to happen to it. :)

17. Texas Mopars

Texas Mopars
    from Texas

Oh, but it's ok to give an old guy a rash about something you really didn't know about like Cuda's and Barracudas? I'm not sure if it was whining or going off topic that got the delete BOT and I really don't care as long as there is civil discourse. Surely it's not brand discrimination! (Like the DOJ would care) Still not a way to encourage the hobby...

I thought ASTRO GLIDE was " THE HOTRODDERS CHOICE"!

BD

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  18. robyyo

robyyo
    from Orange CA

Well I think some baby boomers are killing this Hobby/Lifestyle, be it by inflating prices, their condescending attitudes to the younger guys just getting into it or through legislation aimed at killing the hot rod (you know all those lawyer types in the state Capital are baby boomers).

19. radleyhardy

radleyhardy

I was an avid Honda roadrace/auto-x guy the past 8 years. I hate being classified as one of those fartcan drivers/rice rockets sooo bad. It's just a different generation with the same mind thought of "young and know it all". I've always wanted to own a pre 60's car but couldn't afford it, so I went with what I could.

preach it!!!

Last edited: Oct 27, 2012
  20. $10.00 in 1955 is equal to $88.15 today. Prices are driven off of the value of the dollar. In other words, a new Edmunds intake would cost you about 445.00 in today's money.

If you want to buy what you have in your head you need to keep your perspective. Your car is an extension of you, not anyone else. Part of the enjoyment in this lifestyle is searching out that part you would like to have. The bottom line is have patience. I've been collecting parts here and there for many years but didn't start my ideal project till this year.

21. I was 25 in 2003 when I got my Model A Sedan going. I bought it when I was 20. I am turning 35 next Saturday. I think the younger crowd is alive and well in the hotrod world. I think it's about what the young guys grow up with.
    For instance in my house there are no Wii's or X-boxes or anything of the sort. Never will be. In turn my kids love to be outside and my son loves helping me work on the hotrods. We are currently building him a mini-chopper with a vintage chainsaw engine. He actually pulls me out to the garage most of the time to work on it. Here's a pic of him putting new wheel bearings in.

Attached Files:

22. radleyhardy

radleyhardy

Racer29 - I really think you nailed it! It may sound lame, but with all the new tech-toys and has really killed the "garage days".

23. The37Kid

The37Kid

Welcome to the HAMB. I've had my 1930 Roadster project since 1962. I'm lucky, I have a Grandson who may finish it. Bob :)

24. Tommy's Cycle

Tommy's Cycle
    from So Cal

[QUOTEI thought ASTRO GLIDE was " THE HOTRODDERS CHOICE"!BD[/QUOTE] Just the lonely ones:D

25. Brog

Brog

That is awesome man, you're really doing a great thing for your kids

26. The car in your avatar looks familiar. Is it the one that was on Ebay this past year with the interior all rotted away?

27. outlaw256

outlaw256

beaner, you can ride the bikes.id be honored!![​IMG]

28. outlaw256

outlaw256

damn neighbor aint that the thruth. me and my cuz went to decater cruz-in a couple months ago. i told him " come on man there may be ladies there for ya!"after walkin around for about ten min. he said i forgot the old part when i was talkin about the ladies...lol

29. Maybe its a Bama thang..could be the only people left here are old and fat like me...:eek:

30. Frankenstein57

Frankenstein57

I think hot rodding will survive, it may scale back some as the japan car crowd grows older. What I wonder is if there will be a buyer for all those 100-200K big block cheveles, camaros,and mustangs you see at auction. Mark