Register now to get rid of these ads!

Theft Proofing your Rod

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by teejay99, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Dam I hope not

10,000/365=27.39 years:eek:

Fuck Im dead already

2. 53sled

53sled
    from KCMO

Anyone got any sweet pics of bagged 49-54 chevys? How do you fake patina?

3. -Brent-

-Brent-

Take security measures, then, a few more. Lastly, don't post them on the Internet.

I'm not telling and the thief doesn't want to find out. ;)

4. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

[​IMG]
    Don't know how to fake patina.
    Hope they're taking security measures on this sweet Chebby.

5. Cerberus

Cerberus

My best pal is a very curious fella. All the neighbors have dogs that bark when a stranger is around. Also, cameras are watching the street. I have this sign near the front gate and garage door. We have an active neighborhood watch program and alert each other. We have been instructed at meetings to photograph suspicious activity.

Attached Files:

6. zeuglodon

zeuglodon

One really cheap and easy method that I myself have used for years is this:
    Use an electric fuel pump (carbureted engine) and install a hidden switch for the pump.
    When you leave the car, switch the pump off. A thief will still be able to hot-wire/steal your car, but it will only run for as long as the fuel in the carb lasts. This will typically get your car out onto a public street where a criminal won't want to be caught with it.
    Combine this with a discrete gps tracking device and if you lose your car it was meant to be.

Cheers,
    Rick

7. nick_c

nick_c
    from texas

What about LoJack? It's not too expensive and i think some models even contact the police for you.

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Quite often the same guys who think nothing of spending 5K for a set of wheels think a couple hundred for a LoJack plus the monthly fee is too high.
    Your or your lady's obsolete but still perfectly functional cell phone with GPS that got replaced with the latest hot lick one that has 32 gigs of storage, perfect to install in the car with it's own small and hidden battery to add days or weeks to it staying on. Most phone plans charge about 10 bucks extra for and additional "family" phone.

At least one extra motion required for starting the car even if you leave the keys in it. Push button or other hidden switch. Not only does it help prevent theft it keeps your 5 year old nephew from "driving" when your brother in law sets him behind the wheel to take his photo and the keys are in the switch because you are working on the car.

The fuel shutoff that someone mentioned. I bought an early 60's truck that I fought for half a day trying to get and keep it running until I slid under the truck and traced the fuel line. It had one of those mechanical tank switch valves under the seat in easy reach if you knew where it was but out of sight enough that it wasn't obvious. The truck had only one tank but the switch had three positions that could have been "on".

The house I live in has had a string of big black dogs over the past 25 years that have been more then willing to put the run on someone who doesn't belong here.

Good neighbors and good relations with the neighbors.

A gate that can be put across the driveway even if it is a heavy chain or heavy pipe that blocks vehicles getting in or out. Motion detector lights around all sides of the shop/garage. Video camera setup if you can swing it.

If you sell parts on Craigslist meet the buyer at a public place rather then have them come to the house. If they do come to the house have the part or car that is for sale outside and the garage door closed when they come. They may be innocent but they may say something in front of someone else about what they saw in your garage.

Learn your and your neighbors dog's barks. One of my old neighbors used to say that my golden retriever had about five barks, Feed me, damned cat, sing along with the neighbor dogs, who are you? and get the gun and get out here now.

9. 41 C28

41 C28

Theft proofing your rod at home or while in storage is one thing but how about when its parked overnight at events like at in hotel parking lots.
    I know of guys placing wireless baby monitors in their cars while parked overnight. They say it works very well and picks up the slightest sounds. Then all you need is to be locked and loaded.

10. MarkL

MarkL
    from Tacoma WA

Install Surveillance video camera's. I know everyone bashes Harbor Freight but this is a pretty nice system. You can even monitor the camera's over your smart phone. http://www.harborfreight.com/genera...and-mobile-monitoring-capabilities-68332.html. They are infrared for night vision as well and you can set them for constant record or motion sensing. I bought one after a friend set one up at his place after a dirtbag tried stealing his car. Works great.

11. 48FordFanatic

48FordFanatic
    from Maine

The GPS is ok , but your time and money would be better spent making sure the car doesn't leave the premises period.

12. 59 brook

59 brook

my ex had a new camaro back in 89 we questioned why the insurance was so high agent said the car will be stolen in 6 months they figure .she had a momentary pressure pad switch installed in a very obvious spot but since there was no pushbutton or toggle noone could figure it out . the car was broken into 3 times but never stolen. even bet a cop and he couldnt find it
    we just bought a new mustang with lojack and we already had an incident. first few days of owning the car and my wife grabbed my key to the car which didnt have the keyfob with it. within seconds of her starting it and leaving i started getting texts, emails, and calls to my home and cell phone letting me know the car was moved. now if the car was stolen within minutes the police could begin tracking the gps signal.
    PROPER INSURANCE - YEAH IT SUCKS TO PAY AND HOPEFULLY YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE IT BUT I KNOW I MADE A $250 PAYMENT ONE TIME AND GOT A $25000 CHECK FROM ALLSTATE TO HELP THE PAIN OF A FEW MONTH OLD CAR BEING STOLEN, ALSO DON'T TRY AND CHEAT TO LOWER THE COVERAGE. LUCKILY FOR ME BEFORE I INSURED IT ALLSTATE CALLED THE MANUFACTURER TO VERIFY WHAT IT WAS AND THE PRICE . WHEN IT WAS STOLEN THEY CLAIMED I UNDERINSURED IT . I SAID B.S. YOU KNEW EXACTLY WHAT IT WAS AND I GOT MY MONEY

13. Flatheadguy

Flatheadguy

If someone with determination wants your car, they'll probably get it. I had a friend years ago back in Boston who had his car, a brand new 58 Corvette, stolen while he was driving it!! He stopped at a red light behind a car in front. A guy jumps out of the car behind him and pointed a gun at him. Told him to get out, leave it running and walk away. Meanwhile, light changed and that was the last he ever saw of his vette.
    That, unfortunately, is determination!!

14. If you have the space for a lift get one with air locks. Pull your car on the lift raise it up & disconnect the power to the compresser. Lots of motion security lights & pull the wheels off your car hauler. If your tires are stored inside they will also last longer. As I stated in a previous keep your secrets to yourself. Tell no one.
    Learned a lesson one time not car related but a good lesson that applys.
    Neighbors dogs were killing my kids banty chickens so I confronted him & told him I would shoot his dogs if they came in my yard again. He said you shoot my dogs & I will shoot yours. Lesson learned. Take care of business & tell no one before or after. Never had a chicken disappear again. How I secure my rides is my business.

15. willie57

willie57
    from wisconsin

this works for me

Attached Files:

16. carlisle1926

carlisle1926

I put a 300lb WWII air raid siren in my garage that is activated by motion detectors. When the motion detector is tripped, the siren spools up, and a series of strobe lights start. It is proven that a loud noise mixed with a strobe will cause a person to lose track of time, thinking they have been in a building longer than they really have been, causing the need to flee. If the strobe doesn't get you the bleeding ears will. I've purposely set it off from the outside of the garage and it is mind boggling loud and can literally be heard for miles. All off my neighbors know to call the cops if it goes off. I keep it on a separate hidden circuit so they can't just cut the power.

17. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

[​IMG]

18. LSR 2909

LSR 2909
    from Colorado

Thank you!

19. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

been gone myself for over 23 years, so...is this heaven or hell?:eek::D

20. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

10,000 days? :eek: No wonder no one listens to me, I've been gone for 30 years.:(
    I see the point of repeating ourselves on the same old questions but none of this is required reading. You can skip stuff that doesn't interest you.:rolleyes:

21. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

My maths not good, but I know how to load a gun...:D

22. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Can I have him on my team?

Clint Eastwood couldnt count either , but was a dam good shot, was that 5 or 6?

I hope the punks who stole this dont feel lucky, or get lucky

23. The less people that know your business the the less can make it thiers. Nobody should touch another persons stuff.Hope they have made peace with the Lord if they want to come here. I HATE thieves !!!!!!!!

24. Fenders

Fenders

That is more common than you might think...
    http://www.dcourier.com/main.asp?SectionID=1&SubsectionID=1&ArticleID=102346
    It also happened years ago in Arizona just like you said and a young couple were murdered.... following the murder of 3 or 4 other people (I read the book but forget the title).
    Best to drive with a .38 in your lap.

25. toml24

toml24

Why not buy "The Boot", or something like it. The bad guys would have to take the whole car apart piece by piece and still leave the axle behind. It's the best anti-theft device I can think of.

26. Six Ball

Six Ball
    from Nevada

Rocky and I have an edge on most other places. One of many Nevada advantages is we can have our loaded guns in our cars. You have to show that you can reload while driving to get a Nevada driver's license.:eek: Vegas and Reno have special rules. Not much car jacking here.:D

27. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

So, let's say you track the perp to his storage shed or garage. Then what? Kick his ass? Shoot him? Call the cops? Well, if you shoot him or kick his ass on his property, you go to jail too in most cases. You'll probably get off, after a day or two, but you may lose your job or be out a shit load of money. If you kill him, you'll REALLY be in for some shit. What if they kick your ass or shoot you? These guys may not be a kid trying to get some kicks. Call the cops? I don't know about where you live, but here in Houston, someone did the GPS thing and the cops took thier sweet time arriving. By the time they showed up at the empty field, the car had burned up.

I think the thing to do is make it hard for an amature and hope a pro doesn't like your stuff. Alarms, locked garage, a big dog and good neighbors can do wonders. I've been driving around and caught a car that seemed to be following me. Even after going down random streets. So, I drove around a bit until I lost them. I made sure not to go down my street. Think about how many times someone may have followed you to see where you live. It happens in Houston a lot. I always try to take odd ways home. Just in case.

28. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

So, the car thieves can cell phone, text AND load their guns while driving. :D That's a cool law, but I doubt it's stopped the serious car thief. The serious thief isn't going to jump you at a light and if he did, by the time you realized it, would you be able to react in time? Without shooting your dick off?

29. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Cell phone use and texting while driving is against the law in the state of Nevada so I'm sure the thieves aren't doing that...:rolleyes:
    We have guns here, and you never know who's carrying, and who's not...
    Equalizer effect...

30. one thing i do is take my steering wheel off and put it in the house or hotel room. not many thieves carry a spare steering wheel with them. if they did it would also have to have the same spline count.