Register now to get rid of these ads!

49-54 chev up grade question?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Morgan91, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

did a search and couldn't find any info

People who have upgraded brakes to disk brakes on these chevys what are doing for master cylinders and or boosters? anyone increased the bore size on a stock cylinder and added a remote booster or anything like that?

i have disk brakes front and rear on my 51 and just trying to sort out what to do with the brake pedal and master cylinder and all that and would like to keep the stock pedal location and under floor MC

cheers in advance

morgan.

2. MAD MIKE

MAD MIKE
    from 94577

RB's Obsolete(no longer in business) used Kimbridge Enterprises http://www.kimbridgeent.com/ for their 'Serious Hardware' kits. I bought a bracket that allowed use of a '67 Mustang 1" disc/drum MC, I'll try and dig up the catalog and see what its part number was. Otherwise there is KB-605 49-54 bolt in brake booster assembly. Pedal/mount/booster/MC kit.

3. Going to need a master intended for all disc brakes. Maybe check valves, or a proportioning valve of some sort. Have to either gut your master and use a bracket to put the new one behind it, or buy a kit to do the same. Filling it will be a pain.

4. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

So basically I should go with my original plan of just putting in ugly booster/MC on my firewall and make/ modify a pedal to suit?

5. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

I tried everything I could think of and lots others thought of to make my Nailhead powered 50 sedan delivery stop as good as it goes with an under the floor brake system. Finally gave up for safetys sake.
    [​IMG]

6. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Thanks man, that actually looks pretty good. And you've still kept the vent tubes which is what I was concerned about!

7. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Just had a look at the Walton under floor unit. Has anybody on here used that? Seems pretty simple. Just wondering if the booster hangs below the bottom of the chassis rail or not???

8. Lobucrod

Lobucrod
    Alliance Vendor
    from Texas

Well actually I had to loose the vent tube on the passenger side to make room for the AC stuff.

[​IMG]

But to stay on topic, the beast stops as good as it goes. I can't stand halfass brakes.

9. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Walton Fabrication makes good stuff. Under, or up on the firewall, you can't go wrong.

10. deto

deto

X2. Walton makes quality stuff

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

11. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

thanks guys can anyone tell me if the booster hangs below the chassis rail at all?

12. cosmic12

cosmic12

I have been wondering the same thing. I am afraid of spending the bucks to find out I can't use it because it hangs to low. I really don't want to put anything on my firewall but if I must I guess I will and it is cheaper.
    I am at that point where I need to decide which way to go.
    Also, does the disc brake conversion on the front make it wider? I am a bit concerned about turning radius when lowered.
    Anyone have any answers?

13. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

just got an email back from walton and yes it does hang below but only half an inch, he recommends putting bash plate of some kind underneath it.

14. 19blockhead72

19blockhead72

I have the booster and pedal set up that bolts to the fire wall from Walton. Really nice and very easy to install.

15. cosmic12

cosmic12

So, has anyone done the disk conversion on a stock front end? Does it make it wider?
    I really need to decide what to do on my 52 and really want to keep the stock suspension....lowered of course.

16. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You might call ECI and ask on how much if any the disk conversion sets the front wheels out. They sell the kit both ways with all the pieces or with just the brackets and conversion piece so you can source your own rotors and calipers. Same stuff that Chevs of the 40's sells and same prices. http://ecihotrodbrakes.com/early_chevy_discbrake_conversions.html

17. Morgan91

Morgan91
    from Australia

Do you think you could post a picture of it mounted to the car and what the pedal looks like inside?
    Also what did you use for the clutch?

18. deto

deto

I will try to take a pic when I get home and show you the firewall mount

19. deto

deto

I used the eci kit on my 49 Chevy and they were great.

20. dodgord

dodgord

get on ozrodders - pm Bates , hes been doing these for years

21. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I built my own. I also bought one from Chassis engineering for another car after that.

basically you build something that has holes for the pedals, mounts in the original master cylinder holes in the crossmember, and put a plate up front to hold a 67-73 mustang disc drum master cylinder.

I actually moved it over after I had it all in. I'm lazy now. I'd just buy one from the aftermarket and put it underneath the floor.

Attached Files:

22. cosmic12

cosmic12

This is what I came up with. Didn't want anything on the fire wall.
    Made most of it and it actually works!

Attached Files:

23. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I am leaning towards a ECI offset or Walton's firewall mount as much as I hate the idea. I prefer the underfloor but not enough room on a really low car

24. Pooch

Pooch
    from Oklahoma

I have run them both ways and I wont put one under the car again. The Waltons fabrications set up is too easy. If you have a problem you dont have to crawl under your car or remove the seat to add fluid.

Attached Files:

25. Chevy49

Chevy49
    from Elgin, IL

I just bought an under floor master cylinder with booster that links to the original break pedal and also will support the clutch pedal from http://www.abspowerbrake.com in Orange CA.
    I picked it up and talked to the guys: they know what they are doing!
    Call them and you will find the best solution.
    My problem now is the space: I installed Fatman drop spindles and 15x7 Cragar wheels and have to limit the steering travel a lot now. How did you manage that?

26. Chevy49

Chevy49
    from Elgin, IL

yes, the disk break set up will add 1/2 " (that is exactly my problem ...)

27. Dano382

Dano382
    from HB, CA

I just put Chassis engineering front brakes on my 51 coupe with stock master cyclinder and no issues. Car stops great without any booster. I thought it would not work well without a proportioning valve but no issues at all. I think it pushed out wheel width just a tad but not much. Buffalo ent. does a disk brake kit without adding width at wheels.

http://www.inliners.org/buffalo/index.htm

28. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Just had my done on a stock 52 chevy. Got the complete kit a-z from Chevs of the 40's. They use a ECI kit. Non boosted m/c mounted under the floor in stock location and uses the stock pedal. I went this route to keep the firewall clean and going non boosted under the floor means there is enough clearance under the car. The under floor booster/m/c kit hangs below the frame rail. It ran about $1000 for the kit. That is calipers, rubber lines, bearings, m/c.

29. cosmic12

cosmic12

i never saw that kit, can you post a pic? I just ended up makeing mine and yes it hangs about an inch below the outside frame rail but is still above the trans mt that is the low spot on mine. I also only have have about $100.00 into mine but it was alot of BS.
    Like the new color on your car.