Register now to get rid of these ads!

Features VINTAGE SPRINT CAR PIC THREAD, 1965 and older only please.

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Joshua Shaw, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Faas Family: Welcome
    I remember your uncle’s cars well. Especially when he bought both Jack London’s Offy Midgets after Jack got upset on his trip back east to run a few USAC shows. If I remember he bought everything truck and all. Jack flew home and you Uncle went on to win quite a few races with that equipment. <O:p></O:p>
    I was recently reminded about that when working on a Offy. Ck out the front main web in the photo attached. Note. J L and his # 4 then you see Jack London crossed out and a Big KOL (KING O LAWN) stamped in it. It’s amazing the names I have come across working on engines and vintage cars. <O:p></O:p>
    Let’s see more of your Family’s Racing History.<O:p></O:p>
    <O:p></O:p>

Attached Files:

2. Bill Chadbourne

Bill Chadbourne
    from Sonora Ca.

Here are a few shots of the 1970 Beck House Car that John Leverenz and I won the 1970 Knoxville Nationals that was driven by Little Joe Saldana. The car was restored by John Layne and Mark Randol in Kansas City, the car is now owned by Little Joe. The pic. collage is in their shop, and the other two are at the Hall of Fame in Knoxville Ia. Hope you enjoy Bill

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  3. easter

easter

That's one of the prettiest sprint cars I've ever seen. Red headers?!? The car looks perfect.

4. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Same goes for you and your family's racing history Mike.
    Hope you can get back to Havasu again (we're running Nov 9-10 then again in Feb and Ray Alcaraz is working on a deal for April at Tuscon Raceway Park)
    Carl
    http://s1011.photobucket.com/albums...2A2366-05D4-49D3-B8B4-3A1AD0317E8Dwestell.jpg

5. Carl,
    Most of my family's racing history can be found on my website listed below. Thanks for the heads-up about Havasu and Tucson. Trying to get my LTC Offy finished for the February date. Tucson would be fun and is alot closer.

6. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Look forward to your joining us somewhere along the line.
    Wonder how the LTC performs with the Offy vs the original lightweight VW,
    I'm sure Red's going to be looking down to see.

7. ASCOT question here-

Who drove the CAE house car in 1958 and 1959 under the CRA Banner? Friend says he owns the car and would like to know.

8. Joshua Shaw

Joshua Shaw

Great event here guys..

CHECK IT OUT!

------------------------------------------------------------

Attached Files:

9. sramoa

sramoa

10. pavementends

pavementends
    from Utah

Bill, I was lucky to be in the museum when they wheeled Little Joe's car in. Joey and Little Joe were both there and both were grinning from ear to ear. Genuinely nice folks...good job on the restoration too.

11. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

Tel Dennis he needs to learn to Google. lol
    (Not many left in the WRA that know their history)

I bet if he contacts Scott Delasio or Chris Holt they might turn him on to some data.
    http://www.hoseheadforums.com/forum.cfm?forumID=13

Best Regards
    Carl Schulz
    Indio, CA

12. BZNEIL

BZNEIL

I've been sitting in an endless meeting for over 6 hours. I could really use some grant king or stapp spring front pics to keep me alive.

13. Bill Chadbourne

Bill Chadbourne
    from Sonora Ca.

Hi pavementends: Little Joe is a great guy, he was the easiest driver to work with in my 50 plus years of racing. They did a great job on the restoration. Bill

14. Ron67

Ron67

Anyone on here read the Troy Ruttman book that is on the market now?
    ( No commercial interest ) If so, any comments?

15. indyrjc

indyrjc
    from Indiana

I don't the answer to this one but I have another question. I know that Jim Culbert built something like 400 sprint cars and supermodifieds and supplied thousands of racing components over the years. But did a CAE sprint car ever win a season championship anywhere? I'm sure they must have won some individual track championships but I'm talking about a regular major season like USAC, IMCA, or CRA. I'm just about certain that a CAE car never won a USAC championship but I'm not sure about the others. Does anyone here know for sure? Thanks...:)

16. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

I'm not sure of the year-sometime in the late 60's or early 70's-but Darryl Harrison was the IMCA champ in a CAE.

17. Thank you

18. Bill Chadbourne

Bill Chadbourne
    from Sonora Ca.

indyrjc: In 1969 or 1970 Lloyd Beckman won the Eagle Raceway championship (Nebraska Modified Association) in the #14 Swanson sprinter a CAE car against all the heavy hitters in the central Midwest.

19. tauruck55

tauruck55

Don Hamilton used to come to South Africa every year from about October for two months and he was my favourite driver. This was in the late 60s and early 70s. I grew up next to the oval track and spent everyday after school there. He would bring cars over and sell them when he left. I've never watched better racing. The stadium was packed and seats were sold out a month in advance. The locals hated me for being unpatriotic because I shouted for the American. He was and is my only real racing idol. He then brought Dick Zimmerman out for a season and he drove a very different looking car to what we were used to. It had a much shorter rear and the bodywork covered the roll cage. It was very fast and the match races between Don and Dick made history. I wonder how many of you guys knew that they raced in Africa?. I was all of 12 or 13 and I remember them like it was yesterday. I'd love to see pics of my heros if anyone has any?. Thanks guys.

20. carl s

carl s
    from Indio, CA

I had several links to US/SoAfrica Sprint/Supermod photos and stories but can't find them.
    Do some searching, they're out there.

see post #28 in this link
    http://www.trackforum.com/forums/showthread.php?84642-Don-Edmunds&highlight=africa

Here's a photo of Don Edmunds in his supermod at Wembley Stadium SA
    from donedmunds.com
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  21. Speedwrench

Speedwrench

I remember seeing something about CAE supers in South Africa years ago - in Hot Rod Magazine, I think.

The article made it sound like it was something of an annual deal.

Also seem to remember mention of a South African local by the name of Harry Van Der Spey who was made out to be something of a bad guy just to set up a rivalry.

22. cg5

cg5

Wasn't Curt Waters the CAE driver in the Hot Rod article on South Africa?

Curt Grogan

23. 90kworth

90kworth
    from modesto

In 1973 the #5 Siler/Hanestad Chevy Sprinter won the NARC Championship.(Paved & Dirt) It was 1967 or 68 CAE car- Driven by Lem Tolliver- all but 2 races that year cause of busted up ribbs from a wreck at the old San Jose paved 1/4 mi. Gary Patterson drove the #5 while Tolliver healed up. This Sprinter won alot that year- Including a couple of open comp main events- One at Vallejo Speedway- The other at the 1/2 mi West Capitol Speedway. (set fast time NTR) That was the last event ever held on that 1/2 mile track. Events were run on the 1/4 mi after that.
    Car was pretty tough- I remember some use to call it Hanks tank. This car always ran good- especially at Calistoga. Billy Anderson won there afew times. Car was also driven by Wally Talbot, Cliff Sealock, Bill McCormack, Ron Horton, Dave Ellis, Cliff Blackwell.

24. mac miller

mac miller
    from INDY

I believe that Curt Waters ended up owning the CAE company.
    At some point, the name of the company was changed to ARC products.

mac miller in INDY

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  25. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

Attached Files:

26. easter

easter

[​IMG]
    This is a Kris Keath photo from Hoseheads. You can see the body work on this car and a lot of others are starting to look more and more like those old Edmunds Supers. Sorry for the cage guys, just trying to make a point.

27. meengrinch

meengrinch
    from ipswich ma

Not sure if this is interesting to anyone but I just finished restoring a late 50's CAE. Car. It was built using blue prints from CAE. The car was originally built by Ray Harmony who ran Harmony Metal Products along with members of the De Amelia family from Rowley mass. It was ahead of its time to say the east and won many features,had many owners and many drivers..I will try to post some pictures if I can......I have a run of the rebuild on this message board you can reach by searching "wild bill Murphy" in the search box.

28. Rootie Kazoootie

Rootie Kazoootie
    from Colorado

JMO- but that so-called "bodywork" that their putting on em is just downright butt ugly, as if the down tube cages weren't bad enough. Reminds me a lot of the bodys we use to cut out of refridgerator boxes and put on our coaster carts when we were kids. If they really want them to be upright bodied supermods, they ought to just pony up a few hundred bones and get a glass ducktail 32 body from Speedway Motors and do it right.

29. KK500

KK500

IMCA Yearbook says 1969 Darl Harrison won the Championship in the Century Die Co / Dennis Maloy Chev.
    Pics from 1968 show that same car running a CAE grill.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  30. easter

easter

I agree - they're ugly as hell. But, somebody must have found a photo of a Edmunds Super and decided to start that look again (in an unsuccessful attempt). It kind of reminds me of that coupe body they put on Richert's old Wagner Chevy - horrible. I don't mind the down tubes - but I wish body work was limited. These cars look like upside down wheelbarrows.