Register now to get rid of these ads!

Just a (depressing) observation...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by white64, Oct 25, 2012.

1. My son and son-in-law are both into the old car/ hot rod hobby. so when I go, two will be left to carry on. The real threat to our hobby is what the Goverment will do to it not running out of intrest. (Not to get too political)

2. onlyonthurs62

onlyonthurs62

as these older vehicles keep getting older and parts getting more scarce us younger car lovers (35 and younger) are just gonna have to be more patient and look harder for parts. That is in no way I'm gonna ever give up on this hobby. My little ones are starting to like cars as well so I will make damn sure they will continue this hobby as well. I may not have a sought after classic but its still a classic to me. Love live these old machines!

3. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

Some people have the mentality of "he who dies with the most toys wins" And even if someone does find all that stuff, some vulture will come along and ask the world for it. Thanks a lot old farts!

4. The Continental

The Continental
    from Texas

A lot of stuff will be scrapped and thrown out just as in years past. The way I see it though is that when I'm in my 30s, 40s, 50s so on, instead of having 30 cars now most being projects I can have more than that in better condition and more desired ones.

5. scibjenkins

scibjenkins

But like onlyonthurs said, you just have to be more patient on the most part. It's just a lot more work in general. But I've been very fortunate to have old-timers help me out. And a few "Well if you go back in the bushes there you might find some late flathead stuff, I don't know, I threw all that crap out in back of my shop years ago!" So there are parts out there, but I've had to cut trees, stomp through bushes, and scrape through piles of rust to get to them...

6. herbet99

herbet99
    from Central NJ

I think you have to keep in mind the difference in perspective between young and old hobbyists. I hot rodded a 1963 Falcon when I was 18. I put a 302 in it and gave it a custom two tone paint job. Sure, a 1963 Falcon sounds old now but that car was only 18 years old when I did that. An equivalent today would be hot rodding a 1994 Ford Fiesta.

7. ed_v

ed_v
    from Kentucky

I'm in my mid 40's, I wouldn't consider myself an old guy, but I'm sure not a young guy either :eek:.

I hope I don't repeat a lot of what has been said. I did not read through the whole thread. Shame on me :eek:

I think the hobby itself will be around as long as the cars are (see the "sitting and rotting" thread) and if the older hot rodders do their part to get the younger generation involved. Lets face it, most of the people on here are older folks who have been into this since they were teens and these were the cars of your generation, or else if you're a younger person it was something you've done with your dad or other family member. Not many younger just "stumble" apon this hobby. These are not the cars of their generation. As much as you might not like it, drifting, or turboing their Honda is hot rodding to many of the younger kids.

Quite often after seeing some of the posts on this board I wonder why any young kid would want to get involved in this hobby. Some of you need to get off your computers, quit chastizing every newb you run across, and use your knowledge to help educate some youngster about the tradition. Otherwise what kids do stumble apon this will be building shoeboxes with airbags, thumping stereos, bad graphics, and supercharged Suburu engine :eek:

Nobody wants that!

Ed

8. This is going to sound poor of me but I have stopped trying to influence younger people.

If someone comes on the board and I can help them I never ask their age, I find it to be a non issue.

No one ever comes around my place unless they want something and after that I really don't see anyone. I don't hang out where young people hang out so I am probably not going to meet anyone very young, unless like I said they want something.

9. 31Apickup

31Apickup

32-34 stuff has always been expensive.When I was in my 20's back in the 80's the stuff may have seemed to be less but it was out of my price range then. There are alot of guys who bring the same stuff from swap meet to swap meet year after year with big prices, I came to the conclusion they just like to show off what they have and use it as a social occasion. I think more stuff is actually showing up now as some of the long time hoarders either decide to clean house or they pass away. Some stuff does get scrapped, in my Dad's community they have a waste transfer station where residents can drop off trash. People set stuff on the side and the retirees grab up stuff like mowers (to fix & resell) & misc, Through the years my dad has brought home a nice 42 Merc dash, a perfect 63 galaxie console & shifter, a model a front & rear suspension.

10. ed_v

ed_v
    from Kentucky

I can certainly understand your thought there. My wife and I don't have any children. I have a nephew that is 9 that I try to spend as much time with as possible and he loves hot rods... but for the most part I don't understand the younger generation and avoid them as well. I think you are certainly doing your part though by being helpful when you can and doing so in a respectful manner (from what I've seen :) )

Ed

11. Gotta laugh, just before I joined the HAMB I bought a '65 Galaxie to drive. There was a '36 Coupe uncut with a running small journal small bnlock for 1500 bucks but I only had a grand to play with. Now I think damn, I should have bought the '36. ;)

12. outlaw256

outlaw256

hell ive tried to get some of the younger guys to hang around tghe shop and work and learn.or even teach me something. but most just like lookin at our cars but have no interest unless its some kinda ricer.but they all want to ride my bikes and that aint gonna happen. but id love to have a young gun hangin around.id steal the youth right out of him!! lol. im by no means a expert on buildin cars and bikes but i do know my way around them.im in bad health now and im want some younggun to pick my brains.before i forget what i knew.and they better hurry because its startin to happen.if i had a kid that really loved these cars id give him one to build.but they would have to be sincerely in love with them.

13. Exactly what I was thinking ;) Go to a real HOT ROD show like JALOPYSHOWDOWN or JALOPYRAMA (tomorrow 10/27/12) and you will see the real difference !!!!!!

14. 73RR

73RR

I'm on board with most of this, however, I have found (after the fact) that after giving someone a good deal on 'something' that they 'really needed' to finish x-y-z that they took the good deal straight to ebay.

Taking up real estate? Nah, I've got 10 acres

Dead capitol? QE1, 2, & 3 has increased the 'apparent' value but certainly not the real value so it is still difficult to 'give' anything away.

You guys with sons or grandsons with an interest in 'that 'ol car stuff' are blessed and I hope that you realize it.:cool:

15. You need to change with the times. Take the hot rodders walking around out of Hershey and there would really be a difference. I have always been a hot rod guy, but I have an appreciation for the original cars as well. What the purest does not realize is that without the hot rod market many of the parts being reproduced would never have been made.

16. yblockpatton

yblockpatton
    from California

I hope the younger kids like me also come into the hot rod scene more too. Im 16 i have a 1960 ford f-100 and i would take it over a modern car every day. Kids these days all want honda's and Nissan GTR's like you said. I also love some japanese cars because i love drifting. But it would also be nice to see kids getting into old hot rods and not having japanese cars take over the U.S

17. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

That conversation with my mentor is as close to verbatum as memory allows. And you guys though I was sarcastic!!:rolleyes::p

18. Hell I'm young compaired to you what if I want to ride your bikes? :D:D

I wouldlet you steal my youth but I got little to no youth left, I already sqaundered every last bit of it. ;)

19. deto

deto

I'm 26 and staying patient. EVERY market is cyclical. Supply and demand. Remember what happened to muscle cars in the 80's? They ended up not being worth shit for a few years.

The traditional car scene is an older man's hobby. Within the next 10-20 years we might see the market get flooded with cars and parts as our older hot rodders move on to the great garage in the sky.

I agree that my generation doesn't collectively care about cars as much as the older generations do, which for me is great. It gives me hope that supply will increase, demand will drop, and prices will fall accordingly.

In conclusion I would like to say, Blah blah blah, blah blah. BLAH!

20. Brog

Brog

I'm 19 and hot rods/muscle cars/old harleys are what I live for

Good question though what will happen to all this stuff when yall are gone, I guess the few of us that will be left, who still actually care, will keep it going

21. I didn't read all of this, but most of the guys I know into the "traditional" stuff are younger than me(44). I have often told older guys who were around "back in the day", I enjoy cars that are/were built in that style using old parts. The majority of them don't understand why I'd want "that old shit"; the new stuff is much better(EFI, high tech suspension, etc.).

22. I look at it this way, the Ol' Man went a few years behind Mr Roth and I don't doubt that they are sitting up there somewhere right this minute sipping Cognac and laughing at us. You are going to give me quite the chuckle, no doubt.

23. Brog

Brog

Say what?

24. When I am gone I will look down and laugh just like those who went before me.

25. Brog

Brog

Hah I understood that, just can't tell if you mean laughin' in a negative sense

26. Son I will never laugh at you in a negative sense.

27. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

everyone seems worried about what will happen with all of the '32 Fords, etc. but, right now the old timers in their late 70's-80's that are into restored Model T's have tons of stuff that they can not give away. as for sitting around at car shows had a friend that was called "Half Day" because he could not stand sitting around all day and would head out by Noon to go cruisin' or to another close by show. lots of times even a half day is too much for me. check out the swap meet,see the cars, visit with friends and head out. some times more fun when at a gas station or coming out of a store when someone strikes up a conversation about my ride. young people that are not "car people" are less likely to pay to go to a car show. so, that is why being out on the road can be the best advertising for "our sport". but, even at a car show how many of us break out of our circle of friends and talk to others that are just there looking?

28. cmarcus

cmarcus

Someday they will regret (hopefully) that when their import breaks down they wish they were tuning a carb with the turn of a screwdriver :D

Just worked on a friends 2007 VW Golf GTI - 8 hrs of work to take the damn turbo/manifold assembly off just to tighten one damn bolt. :mad:

29. The37Kid

The37Kid

Did you bother to read about Mel and the Oilers putting on The Race of Gentlemen? I knew Mel was the future of the hobby the first time I met him at Hershey years ago. The hobby is in good hands, I'm not worried. Bob :)

30. Your Right! :cool:I,m too old to be worried about anything but the weather for Hershey 2013:eek: