Register now to get rid of these ads!

Squeaky spring driving me crazy

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by otas, Oct 25, 2012.

1. otas

otas

I have just finished my 58 apache. It has a 71 camaro front clip. Everything is new, including the springs. Has a real bad squeak at slow speeds and or getting in and out of truck. I have poured a ton of penetrating oil around spring and lower control arm. That is definitely where the squeak is coming from. It will slow the squeak to some point but not quite all the way. It comes back again real quick. I was wondering if someone made a polyurethane ring or something the spring could sit in? Any advise? Thx.

2. Normal Norman

Normal Norman
    from Goshen IN.

You sure its the spring? I had a ball joint do that to me once. Normal Norman

3. otas

otas

You can hold on to the spring while someone is pushing down on the suspension. It sure feels to be the springs. It is both sides. The oil slows it down and will sometimes stop the squeak for a shortwhile.

4. Only 1 cure for that, the arm has to come out and new bushings have to be pressed in. I suggest having them done, very hard to do at home without a press. Uppers are easy, lowers are bigger and more difficult.

Bob

5. otas

otas

Your saying lower ball joints?

6. Probably lower control arm bushings, you need to listen while someone rocks the front end. It may take a few minutes to rule out each component. I'd listen at both lowers first.

It may even be an upper arm bushing, those you can easily see when they go bad. Lowers are a bit harder, but look for the rubber bushing hanging out or a rust trail coming out of it.

Bob