Register now to get rid of these ads!

door sills scuff plates alternatives

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by marty1835, Oct 25, 2012.

1. marty1835

marty1835
    from webster ny

picked up this 52 Ford Mainline with a flathead in her a couple weeks ago and it runs unbelievable. It is missing a couple scuff plates and i am wondering what else has anyone used that is interesting instead of NOS? Gonna strip her down this winter as a son and dad project and i am not interested in keeping it true to original so teh sky is teh limit. It was a garage restoration a ways back...

thanks all!
    Marty

Attached Files:

2. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I used aluminum diamondplate.

3. Table edge, like they used on those formica and chrome tables from the '50s and '60s. You can find the table edge reproduced and in straight pieces if you do a search online or maybe you know where there is an old table that no one wants anymore and is too far gone to restore.

4. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

I cut 14 ga steel, and glued on ribbed rubber sheet material to make mine.

Attached Files:

• 095.jpg
      095.jpg
      File size:
      505.2 KB
      Views:

5. marty1835

marty1835
    from webster ny

nice ideas. thank you

Marty

6. Bigchuck

Bigchuck
    from Austin, TX

Looks great. Where did you get the ribbed rubber?

7. 40FordGuy

40FordGuy

Ribbed rubber....I'm thinking cut some readily available aftermarket floor mats. Also, stair tread material would work, as it's also ribbed.

4TTRUK

8. chaos10meter

chaos10meter
    from PA.

Home Depot, I used an flat alum. door sill plate, you know like when you go from a wood floor to carpet.

9. Kirk Wilmes

Kirk Wilmes
    from Altus, OK

Ribbed rubber is readily available in most gas station bathrooms :)

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

10. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

I hope you used gloves... :eek:

11. Welcome... Nice car!

12. GeezersP15

GeezersP15
    from N.E. PA

I bought it on Ebay. Sellers name was "Fowlow", from Stone Mountain, Georgia. He had a variety of ribbed rubber material.

13. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I don't know why, but "ribbed rubber material" makes me think of something other than door sills.

14. Yea, Like ickey cheap floor mats huh?

15. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

This car was a great deal dude! I kept emailing the guy and he wouldn't return my emails, there was no phone number in the ad either! Congrats on the buy man! If you ever want to sell it... haha:D As far as sill plates, I'm sure you can use some sort of sheetmetal, or the "ribbed rubber" in that one pic doesn't look too bad either. I Bet Mac's has the reproduction Sill Plates too.

16. Check these #290794867376 on the bid site

17. dad-bud

dad-bud

Measure the door opening and see if a pair of early Mustang scuff plate can be made to fit - they're cheap as chips, so even if you've got to cut them up a bit, you won't be losing much.
    Good luck.

18. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

You could cut some from sheet aluminum or stainless. Engine turned for appearance sake and to hide scratches better than a polished surface.

19. blue 49

blue 49
    from Iowa

This night sound kind of ratty, but I used the aluminum trim off of a plastic shower stall I tore out of my house. It looks good, I think.

Blue

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      457.1 KB
      Views:
  20. Sonny48

Sonny48
    from Mo.

I used 66 chevelle sill plates in my 48 chevy 1/2 ton. Go to a salvage yard and look for a later model ford sill and cut it down to fit your car. Worked good for me.

Dad-Bud, I pretty much said the same thing you did.
    Sorry about that.

21. marty1835

marty1835
    from webster ny

ModelAPunk: she (Jane) is better than you thought. Runs just like a purrring pussy and is in great shape. Plan is to make this a short project with the boy (14) this winter. I want him to see that things can have a start and a finish. We will sand and paint flat blue and black. We lowered it 3 inches last weekend. My daughter (12) is a great artist will also be involved also. The headliner is shot but all teh hardware is there. She will have a blank canvas to unleash her imagination---and she is warped.she wants this on the rear quater panels.

thanks all for the great ideas on scuff plates and i will update when the project starts!

Marty

Attached Files:

22. ModelAPunk

ModelAPunk
    from Buffalo NY

Right On Man! Have at it!, Best of Luck to you and your family project! Post some pics of it Lowered!

23. you might check with some sheet metal shops around you and see if they do commercial kitchen stainless work. most of them have drops or extra material laying around.