Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Need unusual motor suggestions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bruthish, Sep 15, 2012.

1. 327Eric

327Eric

300 Buick with the aluminum heads and 4 barrel carb. rare, but has a bop bellhousing pattern, so many transmission options.

2. 327Eric

327Eric

3. EdselRich

EdselRich

550 Cummins isx. That'd be unusual

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

4. EdselRich

EdselRich

Of course then you'd need an 18 speed Eaton Fuller to back it up

Sent from my DROID device using the TJJ mobile app

5. saltflats

saltflats
    from Missouri

I was thinking a 2 liter fiat comes with a 5 speed . Have to loose the yellow timming cover.

6. Darel

Darel

Jag V12. You can get them for a song, they have such an undeservedly poor reputation.

I'll keep right on collecting them up, thank you very much.

I want to put one in a Camaro just for irony's sake. Not light. Not cheap to rebuild but just buy two or three runners from some dumbass who put an SBC in an XJ-S and be done with it.

+1 on the IH 392, best truck motor ever made. The big 3 took car motors and built them up, IH took medium-duty heavy truck motors and left them the hell alone and put them in half-tons. There are speed parts out there, I've even seen a twin-turbo 392. If you haven't seen them, you're not a Binder nut.

IH made gas motors in the 500-650+ cubic inch range, I've seen a few. Beautiful engines, with an air-gap intake manifold so big the generator fit inside the air gap. Designed for 3 mpg downhill with a tailwind.

7. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

I once saw a DKW triple swapped into a Morris Minor. Due to the absence of a water pump the radiator was where a Minor's battery usually is, over the clutch (as it is in the Deek). Apparently it ran like a scalded cat. Only thing was the idle tone, which sounded like a naughty word in Afrikaans ...

8. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think the new "different" should be a focus on quality. Early engines are ok if you can afford it and they always look good. A well dressed and proper SBC will always garner respect from all the most hardcore haters of that lovely engine. Not many diehard "Ford in a Ford" types ever say much about a Hemi, Nailhead, Caddy or Olds in those precious Ford hot rods, but add a SBC and you've blastphemed the marque.

There's a reason there were 4 million Model As, a reason that millions of SBCs found their way into early Fords. Different for the sake of different is over rated. Many times it moves a dream into unfinished nightmare status. Can you survive that? Maybe not since we haven't heard back...

9. You want different? Try a Willys 161 F-head Hurricane. You want different with power? I'd go with the DeSoto 341 hemi out of a '57.

10. scotts52

scotts52

What about a Mopar slant 6?

11. Someone probably already suggested it, but a Buick 401 or 425 Nailhead is not only unusual, but can produce some HP and can be had for pretty cheap. I love the vertical valve covers! I would post a pic if I could.

12. EARLYHEMIBILL

EARLYHEMIBILL
    from ?

How about a slant six. That would be different.

13. Jacksmith

Jacksmith
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Aridzona

One more vote for the Ford 300... Clifford has H.P. parts if you think you need to go the H.P. route. If you use the F.I. exhaust manifolds, they're cheap & flow as well or better than most headers. These things run forever and have damn good torque!

14. creepjohnny

creepjohnny

1956 continental ll 368 y block. Rare and stock powerful
    Late 40's/early 50's Hudson inline 6 with dual carbs. Was a very quick motor for that heavy tub!!
    Mopar 413 with cross ram intake. Expensive, rare and scary fast!

15. Steam..................

16. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/search.php?searchid=4129091
    487 threads on the HAMB.

Why do some guys think anything but a SBC (or possibly a flathead Ford V8) is unusual? I refer especially to all the engines that, while nothing might actually interchange, are pretty much the same sort of thing as a SBC. Though some would swear there is a world of difference.

A DKW triple or steam, now that's unusual.

17. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

I had a '30 Model A coupe back in the 70s, with a 289 and C4. I loved the way it ran, the way it sounded. But as time passes, I like the looks and sound of a nailhead Buick more and more. Ron Myers (Tulsa pinstriper) has a '39 Ford 2 dr sedan with a nailhead that is one of the best lookin' engines I have ever seen, and it sounds so good!

18. revjimk

revjimk
    from Denver

"How about a SBC that isn't what it seems to be? SO-CAL sells these 1949-51 Faux Oldsmobile Rocket V8 valve covers that fit a 350 SBC head with center bolts. Combine them with a mallory dual point dizzy, block oil fill spout, and three 2 bbls, and onlookers will be scratching their heads."
    BOOOOO!

19. dad-bud

dad-bud

Fast and unusual = Big $$$$$$$
    Slow and unusual probably also = Lotta $$$$$$$
    Fast and usual = SBC, SBF, SBM, etc
    Slow and usual = Flatty (plus a bunch of $$$)
    Hot roddin' started with guys putting whatever they could get their hands on that was bigger or faster than stock and stuffin it into a light bodied car
    Run whatever you've got access to.
    Cheers.

20. Or I have a 455 Rocket and 400 tranny. Unusual to a point.

21. teddyp

teddyp

i would like to see a y-block linc,

22. tommy v

tommy v

23. Moonequipt13

Moonequipt13

Stirling and a giant candle

24. Y-Blokkah

Y-Blokkah
    from Anna, Tx

Maybe a Rambler 327?
    They ran pretty good at Daytona in 57...

Nobody would know what the hell it is.

25. Sal Cicala

Sal Cicala

The Rambler 327 sounds great to me. About as different as you could be, and still have decent power.

26. 1ton

1ton

You want unusual? Go with a Wankel.

27. Ned Ludd

Ned Ludd

So how is a Rambler 327 more different than a Wankel?

The Wankel engine is on the edge of HAMBworthiness: first production 1964 by NSU; first of the more readily available Mazda rotary family 1967. There were however prototypes throughout the latter part of our era, so a prototype-that-never-was using the sort of technology that would have been used in a, say, 1957 prototype might just fly here.

The Rambler 327, on the other hand, was not the same engine as the Chevy 327, but both are 90° V8s with cast iron blocks and heads, two pushrod-operated overhead valves per cylinder, wedge combustion chambers, two-plane cranks, a 4" bore, and a 3¼" stroke. It's as if two draughtsmen were instructed to draw an engine to the same detailed brief in different rooms. The Rambler might be a lot rarer than the Chevy, but unusual it ain't.

28. [​IMG]

Might need one at each end a la Sahara....

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  29. mynode

mynode

Attached Files:

30. 3.9L Dodge V6, it uses the same tranny as the 318. Or the 4.7 ohc V8., 251 Chrysler 6. And a unique eng. A Model A Banger.

Lee