Register now to get rid of these ads!

Drake/Carpenter 40 coupe body ??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 47chevycoupe, Oct 24, 2012.

1. 47chevycoupe

47chevycoupe
    from Finland

I have been looking for a car for a while and have not found the right one yet. While on CL I saw a 40 4-door sedan. That got me to thinking about doing a body swap.

I called Dennis Carpenter about their 40 coupe. Everything sounded good until the salesman said the doors are the same length as the 2 door sedan, WHAT??? I asked again and he is positive they are sedan length doors. I would think they should know. He also said there are several already in the crate ready to be shipped.

Now for my question, is the coupe and 2-door sedan doors the same length? I was sure the coupe and 4-door sedan was the same length. It's not the first time I have been wrong.

2. 40 & 61 Fords

40 & 61 Fords

The coupe and 4 DOOR doors are the same length. The top rear corner curves down on a coupe, and goes straight on the sedan door. I actually have a sedan door on the left side of my coupe.

The tudor sedan door is about 4 inches longer than the coupe/4 door door.

Was the 4 door on the Minneapolis Craigslist? I saw it at a swap a couple of weeks ago....It's pretty rough!! Frame is rusted through, lots of rust all over, no title. It was marked at $1600...I'd pass!

3. otas

otas

i think the salesman had to be wrong. bob drake would not spend that kind of money and put sedan doors on it.

4. 47chevycoupe

47chevycoupe
    from Finland

I thought they were the same. The sales guy was wrong. No that was not the car in Minnesota. This car is in Oklahoma. For about 15K I could have a new rust free 40 coupe.

5. Y-Blokkah

Y-Blokkah
    from Anna, Tx

I can't wait for a few reviews on that body.
    I'm almost ready to throw down on one... to be Y-Block powered, of course!

6. Took these pics at Fall Carlisle this month...Dont know what doors they use but she's a beauty!

Attached Files:

7. adam401

adam401

Stock coupe doors are the same length as stock 4 door sedan doors but the top needs to be modified slightly to fit.

8. fleet-master

fleet-master

i've been rebuilding this 'un...apart from the trunklid...it'll be all new panels from the A-pillars back. We're waiting on floors at moment. Can let you know how it turns out if you like....:)
    its a 39 deluxe coupe.the doors are the same as 4door sedan other than the top rear corner as others have stated.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  9. Photo Kelly posted has the short doors...the sales guy at Drakes must be misinformed.

10. uncle buck

uncle buck

He actually said Carpenters is who he called and I agree that their rep is the one that is misinformed. You are correct as to the short doors are what is used. Drake gets a bad enough rap that I though I should point out they were not in the wrong this time. :)

11. nutter_street_rodder

nutter_street_rodder
    from Nevis MN

Bob Drake's latest sale flier says the '40 coupe is canceled.

12. Southfork

Southfork

The coupe is cancelled? WTF does that mean?

13. Fortunateson

Fortunateson

Drake had to get out of it (might of been over his head $$$ wise). Sold the project to Carpenter. Apparently assembled in FLA. Panels from China.

14. I took the picture in the Carpenter tent....