Register now to get rid of these ads!

HAMB SERIES: Beginners Tool Box - Tune Up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Traditions Racing, Oct 22, 2012.

1. Deuces

Deuces

This one needs a bump.....

2. wallyringo

wallyringo

3. oj

oj

Hmm, on changing points. When you put the new set in there and start to adjust you don't have enough fingers to get the job done. So the facotry drilled an extra little hole near the end of the points, that hole aligns with a gap in the points. To use it you put the points down to the plate and snug the screws to hold the points, then you stick a screwdriver into that hole/space and you be able to shift the points open and closed by turning the screwdriver against the points. That way you can rotate the lobe on the distr and adjust the points with precision.

4. Dan10

Dan10
    from Joplin

Something that I have added to my tool box as I got older is a cheapo drug store +3 set of eye glasses. They are usually under $10 and make fiddling with small parts easier.

5. Here goes a excellent addition to the beginner as well as experienced tool box. Harbor Freight Tools, and set you back a whole $10.00. Probably find a nicer set at Sears Craftsman as well.

Attached Files:

6. Tug, that's in the plans for a tune-up thread in the series. I am not good with pictures especially now that I'm single as most folks know, so perhaps we will have someone help with the tune-up thread who is capable and can post pictures as well.

Life is grand.....................Divorce is a hundred grand.

7. Thanks again oj, your contributions are always welcome!!!

I would like to also recommend a set of " ignition or miniature combination wrenches " to our growing tool box. When replacing points it is so much better to use these small wrenches on the hardware than to use a set of needlenose pliers. I quarantee you will find other uses for these small wrenches as well. Craftsman has a very nice set, all you need as you don't need top of the line here to tighten these tiny fastners. They come in a handy vinyl pouch and these wrenches will last a lifetime, set you back maybe $20.00.

8. Let me know when we get to maintenance box, I inherited the old man's crash box. I'll take pictures for ya. It has everything that you need to make a side of the road repair, and he hid his jet reems in there as well (a present for the skinny kid). he always said that if you couldn't make it go with those tools it needed to make it to the shop.

I always carry a 6 in 1 screw driver and a pair of channel locks in whatever I drive. It is amazing what can be repaired in a pinch with those two tools.

9. Will do Benno, if people continue to like the Series we can do a Maintanence or garage Box and a Take it with you or Roadside box, both should be helpful.

10. Everyone needs to know what it takes to get home.

Hey it isn't really a tool but has Gasket Shellac and Permatex Aero been mentioned?

11. fenderless

fenderless
    from Norway

Good post:)

Here is one thing I don't forget if going for a long trip,
    one of those small handheld gas tortches, first i would have said soldering iron, but one of those gas ones are better, found mine in the kitchen:D! Would solve both electrical stuff, and sometimes mechanical stuff. Saved me ones when one of the brass bowls in one of the 97 sprung leak, this was way up in the mountains, no garage there!

Taildragger&fenderless

12. Cool thread, I look forward to reading and learning from it, plus it gives me a list of new stuff to buy for the tool box :)

13. JCShiels

JCShiels

I try to wear mechanics gloves, it saves the thinning skin on my old hands from damage and saves the first aid kit from getting used as much.

14. nico32

nico32
    from fdl, wi

Subscribed! Also would like to throw the idea out there for a body work toolbox down the road. The basic stuff to get what you need accomplished.

15. nico32, I am a Race Engine Builder/Tuner, so I will have to find someone who can help with the thread you requested for the Series. I quite sure it won't be a problem.

Thanks to everyone who has suscribed and offered their own tips.

16. Actually tuning a race engine or even building a race engine at least the blue print part of the build and doing a street engine should be the same, or close to it.

yes your numbers are different but the same care should be taken, and the same tools should be used. Most of us are not going to own an automotive machine shop but almost everyone should own a set of calipers and more precision measuring tools as time goes on.

there are some tricks that can be done with feeler gauges, calipers, and plastigauge to ball park and engine before ever going to see the machinist (although I won't post link).

All that said getting back to it a pair of brake calipers are cheap and also should be added to the beginners tool box. For those that are not big on precision measuring with a tape measure one of those bolt circle gauges are also a plus, not all of the cars that we buy have the correct bolt pattern on them as in not factory. I have seen bot at the swap meet in the 5 to 7 dollar range and actually bought a pair of plastic brake calipers for 50 cents at a garage sale last year ( I use them for loaners).

17. nico32

nico32
    from fdl, wi

Get a bump for the early weekend crowd...

18. Benno, he asked about a " body work " tool box buddy. I wouldn't even think of doing that thread myself.

19. Nice thread, TR.

How 'bout a short piece a 3/16" vacuum line fer' startin' sprark plugs?

It makes it easier ta' get 'em started an' if ya' happen ta' start 'em crooked, the vacuum line'll slip on the end'a the plug....

Saved my ass many, many times.....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  20. RIDE-ON brother , yes I have that in post #4. I have it as a foot long piece of 3/8" , end of SPARK PLUG paragraph, thank you again the hose does the trick for sure.

21. I like to have a long narrow flathead screw driver for adjusting carbs without leaning over the fan.

22. Apologies, TR- I didn't see it, but then again I don't see so good these days.....

Laffin'

I got an ancient one, too- I actually saw one on a tool truck a few years back- I think it was under $30.00:

[​IMG]

Speakin' a ancient- this may be kind'a-sort'a advanced but I'm sure Harbor Frieght makes a cheapo one:

[​IMG]

Coolant system pressure tester.

Ya' can check for leaks, bad head gaskets, cooling system "hot" pressure, check da' function of yer' cap, and most importantly, check fer' leaks after a repair and before ya' engine start cuz' everybody knows it's easier to work onn'a cold motor than a hot one....

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  23. Might want to include one of the flexy allen points adjusters for the sbc distributors with the "door" and a (bought or hand made) remote starter button.

24. All excellent guys, thank you!

25. ronotron

ronotron

Waiting patiently..........

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

26. n847

n847

I would say eveyone needs an assortment of bolts (prefferably stainless and or grade 8 in 1/4-20, 5/16-18, 3/8-24. But possibly just as if not more important is a good selection of flat and lock washers! It never fails you will loose at least 2 or 3 washers from every job you do!

Likewise don't forget helicoils! I find the 3/8 to be the most common to strip. If you're gonna re-build old blocks you will eventually need to use a helicoil!

A tap set is pretty important too, I have a set of cutting taps and form taps for chasing threads after paint.

I can't remember if it was covered but a good set of wire crimpers and strippers is a must. I also like to keep heat shrink tubing on hand!

You should also never be with out a whole coffee can of various size hose clamps. Never count on the old ones coming apart and going back together.

I'm no expert and need to learn alot but have learned alot about what tools to have the hard way on my own.

I think it would be cool if some of the old timers could give a lesson on the use of a multi-meter as I have a very basic understanding. Not to mention the tach/dwell meter!

27. woodbutcher

woodbutcher

:)Good thread.Keep it coming.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo

28. nico32

nico32
    from fdl, wi

29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

You've started a good Thread TR. One thing folks, you don't have to run out and buy all of this at once. Buy quality tools and buy them as you need them or as you find them for a right price or on sale at places like Sears.

I picked up a tune up meter/multi meter out of the bin at the REstore (Habitat for Humanity) for about 5 bucks a while back that works great. Made in the late 60's or early 70's.

jeffd1988 likes this.
  30. n847

n847