Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects 41 plymouth coupe 392 hemi build thread

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by farmer12, Apr 7, 2010.

1. 48plysled

48plysled

Lookin good as always man. Props from Wisconsin. I got my 48 plymouth getting closer after taking a month and half off to let my thumb heal up. Damn sawzall bit me. lol

2. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you 48plysled. Hope that thumb heals soon!:D

3. 48plysled

48plysled

It's healed now. Been back to work the last week on the car. All good. Still got all digits. Lol

4. farmer12

farmer12

That's good to hear. I'll be back in the garage again tomorrow after a short holiday.:D

5. 48plysled

48plysled

6. farmer12

farmer12

Continued on with the top grill insert today. I needed to round the edges of the front area, but had no way of holding down the dolly. So I used 2 clamps, which worked surprisingly well.:D Then spent a few hours re-shaping, fitting and re-shaping again until I got the angles and edges correct. Then drilled 8 holes and gave it a spray of Rustoleum. Found these rivet like bolts at the local store to bolt it all in place. Now I just need to wait for the hood latch to arrive from the US in order to finish it.:D:D:D

Attached Files:

Car likes this.
  7. Plung

Plung
    from San Diego

Nice work on the insert. You must be getting close to finishing now? Going to be great to see some paint on this car.

8. Car

Car
    from the desert

Amazing work as always. It's nearly a shame to cut holes in there for the hood latch. Keep up the good work farmer12! I may have missed it, but have you decided on the interior color?

9. 48plysled

48plysled

Lookin great. Good work man.

10. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you Mick. Yes, I'm getting closer and closer. I can nearly smell the paint.:D:D:D

11. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks Car. The interior will be a roll and pleat style, using a tan/light brown/cognac colored leather. Haven't decided on the exact color yet. Will do that once the paint is on the car. Glad you're enjoying the build.

12. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks 48plysled.

13. BrerHair

BrerHair
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Eric, you and Steve have the two best DIY amateur custom builds going on the HAMB, although y'all look like pros most of the time! Love it!

14. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you BrerHair. I just wish I had more time so I could build more cars. I could quit my day job.....:rolleyes:

15. Tantank49

Tantank49
    from 61401

If you quit your day job, I would welcome your skills if you want to hang out in my shop and make a good wage. (grin) I have plenty to build.

16. I really like those rivet looking bolts Eric. I'll have to look for some of those for the F4 I'm working on. There are several spots those would come in handy. I like the cover you made as well and your solution to keeping the dolly still. Necessity is the mother of invention as they say.

17. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you for the offer Tanktank49. It is appreciated.

18. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

Nice Eric, are those rivet bolts you mentioned the ones with a square beneath the head ???

19. farmer12

farmer12

Completely correct Steve. I just drilled a M6 hole and hammered the bolt in till it was flush with the metal. It saves you using an additional washer and gives a cleaner look instead of using regular nuts and bolts.

20. langy

langy
    Member Emeritus

They are called coach bolts mate, I use them a lot and reshape the head slightly to look more rivet like, I drill and usually just run a square file through the hole. They are available in stainless too, no good for anything important though as they are a cheap grade.

Posted from the TJJ App for iPhone & iPad

21. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you Hivolt5.0. I think if I paint the bolts as well, they will be hardly noticable. (adding to the clean look without going too "street roddish".)

22. farmer12

farmer12

There you go, coach bolts. I learn something new every day. I'm not going to reshape the heads, as I need them to hold the upper part of the grill and fenders together. And it's going to be the place where part of my hood latch will be mounted. So strength is what I need. Just hope my latch arrives soon!

23. farmer12

farmer12

Considering I haven't got the original inner fenders, (well they wouldn't fit anyway with the Hemi), I put my thinking cap on today and started experimenting with cardboard. After a few hours of trial and error, I figured that the best mounting point is going to be the lip of the secondary fender. This will require a slight curvature but should look nice. And at the same time giving me a place to hide wires etc. Also jacked up the wheel to ensure clearance.

The front part of the inner fender is going to be mounted on the radiator frame and the rear to the edges of the firewall. With regards to the lower part, I'll strengthen that with maybe a bead/upturned lip.

I took the cardboard template to a buddy of mine who will make 12 louvers on each side, which will be slightly above the heads of the 392 to generate some heat extraction/cooling. The bottom part of the inner fender between the M2 and the firewall will be left open for heat dissapation of the shorty headers.

I'll be picking up the louvered sheet metal on friday. I guess I'll require at least a day or two per side in fabrication/modifying in order for it to fit properly. :D

Last pic shows a lot of reminders on the cardboard regarding measurements and things not to forget, just in case you're wondering.:D

Attached Files:

24. 48plysled

48plysled

looks good buddy keep it up.

25. Russ Tee

Russ Tee
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Florida

Very cool ride, nice work.

26. Called Carriage Bolts here in the States. Used alot on wooden projects.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  27. plmczy

plmczy

very nice work eric.

28. farmer12

farmer12

Thank you sir. I hope to have all the fabrication/welding done in december and get the first parts to the body shop.

Thank you Russ, glad you like the build.

29. farmer12

farmer12

Thanks plmczy!

30. koolkemp

koolkemp

Those are really gonna look nice under the hood with that big ol hemi!!